PC Peripherals Recordable DVD Quality - Best

dipdude

Skilled
intro :
What is good quality media? which media is best for my writer? Why does a media not record well time after time on my writer? These are questions we get asked all the time at CDR-Zone.COM forums and by email. It's a minefield for the first time user to try and find the right balance between price and quality for their DVD backup needs.

Quite often it can be something as simple as a writer preferring DVD-R over DVD+R or just liking a particular brand of media better than others. Sometimes due to batch variance some discs can record at faster than rated speeds while the next disc won't. Sometimes the recording software, system setup or writer used can take the blame but more often than not. it is a media issue that has caused the bad recording to happen. Well if there's one thing I do have experience with, it's media! and I have tried to draw upon this experience to give our readers a basic guide to media quality.

I have catergorised all the brands of media I have extensively tested into 4 main sections, Premium, Recommended, Budget and Landfill with an explanation for each. Now media quality is an highly contencious area as what works for one might not work for others. Also media quality is in the eye of the believer but if you buy the Premium media you will get a lot less issues in my opinion. Middle range media is usually very good most of the time but can vary. Budget media is for short term backup only and please, if you buy any media I have in the Landfill section - don't blame the writer or software for the issues you have with bad recordings.

conclusion :
During my time testing media for CDR-Zone.COM one thing has stayed constant. Taiyo Yuden media has always been of very good quality time after time as long as you stick to the known brands such as Plextor and Miflop Xtreme who always use TY media. Its consistently the best of the best and this has led to many companies trying to produce fake media which looks like Taiyo Yuden but certainly doesn't perform like it.

It is quite noticeable too where the main market is for recordable DVD media. Our Budget to Recomended range covers almost all of our mentioned brands and value for money really does drive the market. Of course, the higher you raise the bar the better the quality becomes for those really important memories.

As long as you stick to the Premium range for long term or important backup needs and the recommended media for short to mid term backup needs you should rarely be too disapointed in your finished recording. Please feel free to discuss this article or maybe make a submission via our Media forum. As mentioned earlier, any retailer or media manufacturer who feels they are in the wrong section, proof me wrong by sending me some samples to test against my results.

for full article click here

source - cdr-zone

Recommended List:
Traxdata * Ridata Ridisc Xtreme HP Ricoh **
Infiniti Philips TDK BeAll BenQ
Fujifilm Imation Samsung Optodisc Thats Write
3A Media 4M Media Piodata ToPrint Emtec
Daxon Mitsui Maxell MAM-E MAM-A

Premium List
Taiyo Yuden * Sony Ricoh ** Verbatim *** Panasonic ****

Budget Media :
Memorex Ridisc Vanguard Tuffdisc Datasafe