Storage Solutions Recovering data from a Retina MBP SSD

sid41299

Disciple
My 2015 Macbook Pro died, and I need to recover the data from the drive, but I'm not finding any Apple 12+16 pin -> M.2 adapters, only the other way around. The only two external enclosures I've seen listed on amazon dot in are also marked as "Currently Unavailable". Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If nothing local is available you can buy from BHPhotos, the price will be <$100 after shipping and customs.

Maybe ask friends and TE members with MacBook 2015 or older to boot into your SSD and backup the data for you?

If you're near Delhi, you can go to nehru place. They usually have spare macbooks where you can put your drive and try to recover some data

My 2015 Macbook Pro died, and I need to recover the data from the drive, but I'm not finding any Apple 12+16 pin -> M.2 adapters, only the other way around. The only two external enclosures I've seen listed on amazon dot in are also marked as "Currently Unavailable". Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The user wants the exact opposite of what this adapter does.

@sid41299

OWC does make reliable Apple PCIe SSD to USB enclosures. However, they are costly and a little bit difficult to procure (although OWC has Indian distributor partners). Your best bet is to borrow a second MacBook, as suggested by @idkmninja and @sid1712.

Last edited:
If you're near Delhi, you can go to nehru place. They usually have spare macbooks where you can put your drive and try to recover some data
I'm in Visakhapatnam. Thank you for the advice though.

OWC does make reliable Apple PCIe SSD to USB enclosures. However, they are costly and a little bit difficult to procure (although OWC has Indian distributor partners). Your best bet is to borrow a second MacBook, as suggested by @idkmninja and @sid1712.
Thank you for letting me know that this is an option @Titokhan. However I feel this is too much expense from my side, and the data is valuable yes, but not this valuable.

Also if you don't have friends with compatible MacBooks, I can do it for you with my MacBook.
As a matter of fact I was considering your MacBook as my replacement machine; I even shared it with a friend a few days ago. I'll leave that discussion to the sales thread/DM if I can scrounge up a few pennies, but thank you so much for the offer @idkmninja, I will definitely think about it.

I have an old 13" 2015 MBP too. Its half dead but I can try to recover the files if you can ship the drive to me if @idkmninja 's MBP doesn't work.

Anyways, best of luck and hope you can get it done locally

Back