Storage Solutions Recovering partition from ext. HDD (from RAW, back to NTFS)

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello everyone!

first of all, sorry for creating another thread, when quite a few such others already are present here. but want to have some specific assistance, hence writing here.

today evening, i was trying to re-format a pen-drive of mine, and my WD ext. HDD (passport, the powered one, 1TB) was also connected to the PC. i remember selecting the pen-drive in easus partition master to proceed with re-allocating space, and then re-formatted the PD using windows's native utility. however, upon connecting my ext. HDD in the evening today, found that windows is asking me to format it, easus says most of the space is unallocated and unused (34GB was free earlier, rest occupied. now easus tells me 34GB is still free, and the rest is unallocated and unused). i was careful in selecting the drive-letter of the PD while performing re-format, but i don't know just how the WD HDD suffered!

anyway, checked in the disk mgmt utility, and it shows file-format as RAW, and mentions capacity as 32GB, free space as 32GB. i don't know what actually has occurred. i checked on the web, and saw that its possible to recover back NTFS file-format from RAW. for the time being, am attempting taking a raw image of the HDD, and will first perform the recovery-op on that image.

i hope i can recover back the file-format/partition and data? if you have any suggestions, please do let me know.

thanks!

P.S. - testdisk had shown the result as 'no partition'.

Try Recuva. it is free.
If it doesnot work then try with other comercial Partition recovery tools like Partition recovery manager etc.

as i write, easus partition recovery's disk-checking op is underway. had tried r-studio y'day, but found that the trial is limited to recovering just 256 kb of data, IIRC. :(

i had halted the recovery-op in the day today. restarted it sometime back. mostly only the docs are important for me, and the rest of the things which can be re-downloaded, am just taking screenshots of them for later reference. this will take some time i guess. after that, i will attempt the actual salvage-op.

Last edited:
as i write, easus partition recovery's disk-checking op is underway. had tried r-studio y'day, but found that the trial is limited to recovering just 256 kb of data, IIRC. :(

Actually, you need to use the ahem copy. If you are looking for free alternatives, sorry, dont know of any - since I rarely need to recover stuff.

Back