Less than 10K Redmi Note 6 Pro- 6GB? is it good @ 9k

Emperor

Skilled
Hi, my cousin wish to buy Redmi Note 6 Pro (6GB / Snapdragon 632) Rs.8999/-

I suggest her New Samsung M02S (4GB/65GB/ Snapdragon 450) Rs.9999/-

She wish to use it primarily for Camera/Video/Education App (for his online study) etc.

Wish to use it for minimum 4-5 yrs, not a frequent upgrader till handset works perfectly ok

What is your take, please suggest your best,

Regards

Last edited:
@Emperor My aunt uses Poco M2. Some grievances she has are..
1. Size. She came from iphone 6s which was tiny while this guy is a huge.
2. Speed. iphone is slow and smooth as silk. unlike android M2 which is fast like a horse due to new processor, ram etc. So she is still getting used to that fast responsive phone.
3. She would accidentally press some icon on screen while using say spotify. I believe that is more so because she has not yet accustomed to the big screen.
If your cousin is already on android ecosystem and she has no issues with a relatively big sized phones then the above issues are very minor. But then again, if you can go to a store to get a first hand experience that would be the best for her.
Other than these she has no issues. Let me know if you need some more info.

I & she, we both, feel that 6GB RAM will be good for, if she wish to use same for next 4-5 yrs
I think rom still plays major role for smartphones compared to ram. If you really want to future proof, you should definitely consider 128gb rom. Apart from maybe heavy 3d games I still haven't seen any specific android application that can gooble up and bottleneck the phone due to ram ( my phone has 4gb)

I think rom still plays major role for smartphones compared to ram. If you really want to future proof, you should definitely consider 128gb rom. Apart from maybe heavy 3d games I still haven't seen any specific android application that can gooble up and bottleneck the phone due to ram ( my phone has 4gb)
wow.. something new that burst my myth that RAM ONLY is crucial for SPEED.

My brother have Redmi Note Pro5 (4/64) - 3yrs old, still I found it is fast enough.

None in my family play games except one Nephew, but then, he is very ignorant about Mobile Tech and refuse to suggest or decline any of my choice/selection. He have Redmi 7s (4/64) and happy with.

Last edited:
wow.. something new that burst my myth that RAM ONLY is crucial for SPEED.

My brother have Redmi Note Pro5 (4/64) - 3yrs old, still I found it is fast enough.

None in my family play games except one Nephew, but then, he is very ignorant about Mobile Tech and refuse to suggest or decline any of my choice/selection. He have Redmi 7s (4/64) and happy with.
Exactly but it is very easy to run out of storage space. I also bought my phone realme 2 pro back in 2018 when I thought 4gb/64 gb was good enough. I did not face any significant issues due to ram but my storage always hover around 4gb-8gb remaining. This can be easily resolved with sd card but I think extra in-built rom is definitely a plus

Since we are on Rom, go for brand which gives UFS 2.0 or higher. There is a visible difference as phone is more snappier.
For a person with casual use 64gb rom should suffice if you clean your phone periodically. But if you are someone like my dad, even 128gb can be less.

Friends,

my cousin budget is strictly below 10k. She is not heavy user or gamer or frequent social media user.

Just wish decent camera and good speed for all basic functions (call, whatsapp, school/college online learning app, YouTube recipes videos etc.

UFS 2.0 / 128 GB ROM indeed good for speed but hard to find in any handset under 10k.

Few handset mfg. still in 2021 releasing NEW Phone with Snapdragon 450 (3.5 yrs old processor), so I suggest her to look for Redmi Note Pro 6 with Snapdragon 632 (6GB/64GB Rom), i.e. in her budget and good processor then 450...

Please add your comment suggestion about ....

Last edited:
Helio G80 procc is also good. If she can manage the slightly big screen, I don't see any issues with the phone.
For her use it would suit her perfectly as ur cousin's use case is similar to what my aunt does.. except studying .
While there will be no ads on poco, you can get some notifications which can be disabled under settings or set region to Europe. Or if you are comfortable with computers you can remove some apps from mobile using developer options.
Frankly, you won't have much option when budget is 10k.

Hi @Tejas01

is Helio G80 better in normal day to day use compare to Snapdragon 632?
I read that Snapdragon have more capabilities/features compare to Mediatek/Helio
Is Helio G80 didn't get slow down in coming years. I'm not asking from Gaming Point of view but over all performance.
Somewhere I read that even Processor mfg. too releases some software to keep their processors (old processors) to match with various NEW apps/games/android updates/android system updates?
Regards

Frankly speaking, it depends more on software optimisation than the processor. You can have a SD 888 but if you try to run it on Kai Os it will put you to tears..
My dad uses an Infinix note 5 pro which is an Android one on Helio P23. From what he has used it for 2+ years, it's more than sufficient for casual needs.
Mediatek processor (Helio ones) have come of age over time. Sure they cant match one to one with SD but they are definitely close to. It won't make a difference at all unless you into bechmarking and stuff.
For casual to moderate use MT processor are good enough. Yes, SD ones are more power efficient but then at the price point you mentioned you will get a basic SD processor. MT new processor gives more bang for buck than SD for a given price.

Soc manufacturers may release update based on needs or security requirements. But I haven't used any flagship phones so cannot comment much on that.

I don't think manufacturers slow down processor.. it will cause them loss of business. Your phone may become slow due to poor OS update, and if you don't maintain your phone.

There is no best software.. it all depends on one's taste and preference.

My experience with Realme OS was bad. I was using Realme XT. I sold it and got Poco X3. You will have to ask others if they had good experience with RealmeOS.
Perhaps @MadAxe can help you as he was looking for a new phone for his friend.

I don't think you will get good samsung software at that price point. But consult others.

If you are choosing between Redmi and poco, I would suggest for Poco. Poco is basically Miui without ads. Both run on Miui.
Again my experience with miui has been good. If you know how to debloat those miui phones then you won't have any problems wrt ads or spywares. There are many videos on youtube on how to debloat your phone.

Sorry for the OT, but if I may, where are you getting the Note 6 pro for 9k? Could you provide a link?

Personally, my concern with buying an older SKU would be battery degradation due to being unused for a few years, although I don't know how serious an issue this is; and that if I buy it online from a non-reputed seller (Appario etc. don't have older SKUs in stock), I might get returned/slightly damaged items.

That said, custom ROMs are available for this one, and it's much easier to flash these days than in the early days of Android.

@calvin1719 , it's from MI own site.

I bought Samsung A50s online, it released in 2019 but I received Septemeber 2020 Made handset (in October 2020), don't know If they assembled same with one year old battery etc. hardware inside.
Are you sure it's actually in stock and you might not have mistakenly seen it as in stock? Only ones that i do see that are in stock are on amazon and flipkart respectively but sold by third party non verified merchants which is more or less risky as they could sell you a refurbished/old one.

Last edited:
Back