Android Redmi Pad SE - Query

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello Folks,

Is the Redmi Pad SE a decent enough Tab to watch movies/ shows on? How good is the battery backup?

The tab will be used exclusively for watching shows and movies at night over headphones. Nothing more really. I can't really see anything better within the 14k price range so planning to get one of these during the Sale.

I'm also looking for tab; has Redmi Pad SE or Honor Pad X9 in the Amazon Wishlist.

These tabs have Larger Screen + decent speaker setup (in-built) and multi-window option.

I'm also looking for tab; has Redmi Pad SE or Honor Pad X9 in the Amazon Wishlist.

These tabs have Larger Screen + decent speaker setup (in-built) and multi-window option.

I think the Redmi Pad SE is the best option under 14-15k. I plan on getting the 6GB, 128GB variant. This will enable me to store more media on it. I do realize that I will not be getting any software updates on it anymore but since I will only use this tab for watching movies/ shows (stored on it's storage drive) I think I'll be fine. For everything else I can rely on my trusty iPad.

I hope you have seen this - https://techenclave.com/threads/xia...-be-no-easy-way-to-disable-system-ads.221470/

If Xiaomi is not letting us disable ads - we are left with custom rom or another tab.

But there are Android Debloaters that can be used I believe to get rid of ads? Do Honor Tabs come with less bloatware?

So, I watched a few reviews on Youtube on the Redmi Pad SE and the Honor Pad X9 along with reading a user reviews online.

The Redmi Pad SE has a couple of distinct advantages for me:

- Comes with an internal memory card slot which is expandable to 1TB unlike the Honor X9 which does not come with any memory slot. This will enable me to carry more media on it, saved on the memory card.

- Has a 3.5mm headphone jack which I absolutely must have since I use wired headphones. The X9 doesn't come with a 3.5mm jack so this a major disadvantage for me. I don't use BT headphones.

However, I'm a little worried about the bloatware that Xiaomi devices come with but I still use a Redmi K20 Pro as a secondary mobile and I do remember using ADB and taking care of the bloatware stuff I didn't need when I bought the phone. Never looked back and the device has been serving me well since (I did get the batter replaced last year from a Xiaomi Service Center). I'm hoping there are tools out there that can be used to address the bloatware on the Redmi Pad SE as well?

Last edited:
I went ahead an ordered the Honor Pad X9.

This is a very detailed review video about the X9 that I stumbled upon on YT:

To bypass the 3.5mm jack problem I have ordered a Type-C to 3.55mm connector cable from Portronics. Remains to be seen how well that sounds with my trusty Sennheiser HD599. The other option I have is to use a Sennheiser HD 450 BT connected directly over Bluetooth with the X9.

I'll update once I receive the X9 and use it.

I went ahead an ordered the Honor Pad X9.

This is a very detailed review video about the X9 that I stumbled upon on YT:

To bypass the 3.5mm jack problem I have ordered a Type-C to 3.55mm connector cable from Portronics. Remains to be seen how well that sounds with my trusty Sennheiser HD599. The other option I have is to use a Sennheiser HD 450 BT connected directly over Bluetooth with the X9.

I'll update once I receive the X9 and use it.
When you're buying a tablet for entertainment purposes, with the sole purpose of watching movies, your first priority should be to get one with a good/better display.

Unfortunately, the Pad X9 skimps on that department with its TFT LCD compared to the IPS LCD of the Redmi Pad SE. So, it's a given that colours and viewing angles will be compromised.

I feel like you made a mistake with your choice.

When you're buying a tablet for entertainment purposes, with the sole purpose of watching movies, your first priority should be to get one with a good/better display.

Unfortunately, the Pad X9 skimps on that department with its TFT LCD compared to the IPS LCD of the Redmi Pad SE. So, it's a given that colours and viewing angles will be compromised.

I feel like you made a mistake with your choice.

I have read that the even though TFT Honor has actually made the display on par with IPS level. I'm yet to test it myself so we'll see how it goes. The most fun part of getting a new gadget is seeing how well it measures for one's needs and if the display is as decent as user reviews suggest then I don't think I'll have a problem.

I'll chime back in when I test the tab out more.

UPDATE:

I have been using the Honor Pad X9 Tablet for the last few days and so far it's been a good experience. The screen even though is TFT LCD is undoubtedly one of the best TFT screens I have seen! I kid you not because the experience when watching shows, movies has been lovely with nice smooth color contours, no dullness whatsoever and well maintained vibrancy. Viewing from the sides however as expected isn't the X9's strong suit largely due to the use of TFT which results in considerable washing out of clarity when videos are viewed from the sides. However, in my case I will be watching content whilst sitting in front of the tab so that hasn't and shouldn't be an issue. Honor has definitely done some magic with the display and I would urge you to check the display out in person at a local shop before taking a decision if you are considering this tab as an option for a portable media consumption device under 15k.

MagicOS is butter smooth with no noticable lag and hardly any pesky bloatware to deal with. I have been only using this solely for watching media content so haven't tinkered too much with the OS. This tab is now my new flight buddy as I take long haul flights frequently. :)

Does it come installed with google apps?
Because there was a legal issue between honor and us

Yes, comes installed with Google Apps. In fact it has a separate folder on the home screen with the Google Apps in them for accessing. :)

Please feel free to ask questions regarding the tab folks. I only use it for a specific purpose but will be happy addressing any queries that anyone has.

One more thing, the tablet comes with a flip case. It's not a very good quality case but for now it's doing the job. Thankfully it's black and not some hideous color. I got a screen protector installed today. I usually don't like to keep tablets or my phones in flip cases because I don't like to "flip" that damn cover every time I want to access the device but I'll use a flip case for this X9 since I want the screen to be scratch-free as I will use this for watching media primarily.

Back