Remote Mysql server connection help.

PsYkiller

Disciple
I am using linux hosting with mysql server on it. I installed many server end php software like joomla and oscommerce. all worked without any problem and were able to access my sql server as they were on the same host.
Now my problem is that, i wanted to create a software on Filemaker10 pro on mac so that it can access my remote database to view and change data.
So i installed the mysql latest odbc drive on mac and one of my windows computer. But both are unable to connect to my database and giving error during test connection to the server.
current MySql odbc driver settings are as following:
Data source name = myodbc (default)
Description = blank
Server = pankajonline.com (tried entering ip address of the server also)
user = database user name (tried my host username and password also)
password = password
database = is a drop down menu with nothing selected.

I tried it on windows also, same problem. Was thinking of making an app using visual studio.

Please help. thanks in advance.

found the following in my host cpanel:

Remote Database Access Hosts

You can allow external web servers to access your MySQL databases by adding their domain name to the list of hosts that are able to access databases on your web site.

Add Access Host

Host (% wildcard is allowed):

Seems like you can allow remote access only from other domains. Like if you have two domains, you can allow access to the mysql server from both domains, even if its hosted on another server. I don't know if this will work, but try it anyway:

1. Get a dynamic ip using any service like no-ip.org

2. Then, add that domain name to the remote hosts list.

It *might* work.

i thought that too. Domains are used to define ip and server. if i use dynamic ip services like no-ip.org, i will be able to make incoming connection from the server, which is senseless . But if i make a connection using my mac or pc, then it will be my ip address which will try to connect to the server, so i guess it will fail too.

And i don't have second domain:(

PsYkiller said:
found the following in my host cpanel:

Remote Database Access Hosts
You can allow external web servers to access your MySQL databases by adding their domain name to the list of hosts that are able to access databases on your web site.

Add Access Host

Host (% wildcard is allowed):

This might not be necessary.... Just found it on my cpanel.

PsYkiller said:
This might not be necessary.... Just found it on my cpanel.

It is necessary, you need to enter your ip in the box and then you will be able to connect to the mysql server remotely. As mentioned you can use a wild card also like 59.26.85.%

varkey said:
It is necessary, you need to enter your ip in the box and then you will be able to connect to the mysql server remotely. As mentioned you can use a wild card also like 59.26.85.%

thanks dude. putting the ip address over there solved my problem.
really appreciate your help. this might help other TE members also.
:hap2:

varkey said:

my dynamic ip keeps changing. is it safe to use too many wild card like
59.%.%.%

Yep.

By using wildcard, you are allowing those range of IP's to access your mysql db on the server. It doesn't mean that anyone can see your database. Only if they provide the correct username and password, then only they will be able to access the DB.

But if your mysql server is vulnerable or have some bugs which a hacker can make use of, then there is a possibility of risk. DONT give wildcard access to all the ip's unless it's a highly essential. STILL , my opinion is that , IT IS SAFE to give access to all....:hap2:

PsYkiller said:
my dynamic ip keeps changing. is it safe to use too many wild card like

59.%.%.%

Back