Remove windows

harshkhorwal

Disciple
Hi friends need ur suggestions :)

i hv dual boot of windowes 7 but want to remove one of them without using any booting device cd/dvd . :s. Suggest any reliable software

^^Seems like a case of same OS installed twice (no clue how) on possibly different drives. and at startup it must be asking to start one of the two versions of windows 7.

Just my thought.

Edit your boot.ini to show only the OS you want.
Save your settings/files from the OS you don't want and delete the windows, users, program files folders of that OS.

^^it looks like that. Assuming that to be the problem...

@OP, leaving the C drive, format the other drive where you have installed windows. Next get Easy BCD, and remove the unwanted windows link

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

iamddevil said:
Edit your boot.ini to show only the OS you want.
Save your settings/files from the OS you don't want and delete the windows, users, program files folders of that OS.
mate OP is facing dual boot issue with win 7, and win 7 don't have boot.ini

harshkhorwal said:
i hv dual boot of windowes 7 but want to remove one of them without using any booting device cd/dvd . :s. Suggest any reliable software
I assume when you say you have dual boot Windows 7, you have two separate instance of Windows 7 running on your machine. And during start up it prompts you to select one installation.

As I am not aware of the exact software/hardware or configuration details of you machine, what I am putting below are generic steps for this problem. So I would suggest you do take backup of your data before proceeding further.
Here are the steps you can follow to get rid of extra installation.

1) Log-in to the Windows 7 instance you want to keep running.

2) Once in go to Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, and right click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3) In command prompt type "bcdedit", this will display the current entries in your BCD store.

4) Note down the identifier for the entry you want to remove.

5) Now on command prompt type "bcdedit /delete <installation identifier you want to remove> /f /cleanup. This will remove the extra option of Windows 7 installation during machine startup.

6) After this you can delete the Windows folder of the installation you just removed from hard disk and use the remaining Windows 7 installation without any problem.

For more info on bcdedit check the following link BCDEdit Command-Line Options

Back