Replacement for the good ol' Samsung i780

eskaydel

Disciple
My trusted Samsung SGH-i780 seems to be acting up lately. It has been a dependable, no-fuss, no-showoff phone and served me well since Feb 2009. However, the touch is now beginning to act up a bit. So, I need the help of all you mobile-heads to look at what options I have in front of me in the next one month or so:

1. Q: Budget?

A: 15k-ish

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar preferred.

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: None really as long as the display is readable in the sun! And, better if I do not have to use my reading glasses to see who is calling or what SMS am I keying in or what does the email say.

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: No preference, really. Had an HTC that conked off just after the warranty got over. Have had two Samsungs (including the present one) and they have both been fairly good.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen + QWERTY would be great, if possible.

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Decent camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android or Windows Phone. Currently on WM 6 and am quite okay with that. I know, I know...

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 3G and WiFi.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Mostly calls, some SMS, a bit of email when away from the PC/lap top, ditto for the Internet, camera as and when required, oh well, put in some music as well. Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja also.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: Sync to Outlook. Need to play around a bit...customisation with home screen and other tidbits.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Zilch, nothing.

Touch + QWERTY Options:

1) HTC ChaCha - 12.5K Superb Keypad, Great Build, Okayish Battery Life and CAM

2) Xperia Mini PRO - 14.5K Great Keyboard, Okayish Build, Good CAM, Bad Battery Life..

These are the only options around 15K..

If not for qwerty, i would suggest you to get Omnia W or Defy(Old one)

If not WinMo/Android: Nokia E6 is your best Bet.. ticks all requirements.. GREAT Keypad!!!

I say Go for Galaxy R then!!

Superb Phone!! Loving it.. Bought it Yesterday.. Battery backup is also awesome!!!

Display has great Sunlight legibility, and font is BIG on the 4.2" screen.

It should last you quite long!!

As an alternative consider Optimus Black or Lumia 710

I say Go for Galaxy R then!!

Superb Phone!! Loving it.. Bought it Yesterday.. Battery backup is also awesome!!!

Display has great Sunlight legibility, and font is BIG on the 4.2" screen.

It should last you quite long!!

As an alternative consider Optimus Black or Lumia 710

Thanks, Teja. As I can see from elsewhere on the forum, you are extremely happy with the SGR! Your nudge may well work with me!!

Slightly OT, but i am planning to get my dad a Palm Pixi as a replcaement for the i780. lets see how it goes (if the thing does arrive)

The Palm Pixi should be interesting. Just for my info, from where and for how much?

Yeah..

Only Issue I faced was.. getting A GPS lock..

it seems almost impossible to get a lock indoors.. Must check it outdoors..

BTW GPS drains battery very much!! took 15% for 30min

Yeah..

Only Issue I faced was.. getting A GPS lock..

it seems almost impossible to get a lock indoors.. Must check it outdoors..

BTW GPS drains battery very much!! took 15% for 30min

Yup. Here too face the same issue. Doing the fix seemed to have no issue. Switched to Google Maps and
<
ever since.

BTW, did you get India maps with your i780's? Coz mine has none, did not even come with the navigatior. Had to install that and then got a map from somewhere *cough*

Yup. Here too face the same issue. Doing the fix seemed to have no issue. Switched to Google Maps and
<
ever since.

BTW, did you get India maps with your i780's? Coz mine has none, did not even come with the navigatior. Had to install that and then got a map from somewhere *cough*

Never got any maps with my i780. Been using Google Maps to find out where I am
<

If u planing to SGR its fine Or you can able to increase more 3k budget then get a SGS2 its good phone

SGS2 is roughly 10K more than SGR.

Update:

Touch works after trip to Samsung Service. Guess I can now wait till MWC to see what's the action and follow ICS updates. May be SGS3 is announced....

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Techenclave is tops!

Back