CPU/Mobo Replacing a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard that stopped booting

swanmoon

Recruit
Dear Folks,

My desktop suddenly stopped booting with only the DVD drive being activated on cold start and no video or anything else after that. I think that the motherboard has packed it in. The current system configuration is:

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1)

2. Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (DO) dual core processor

3. Memory: Corsair Dominator 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC2 8500 C5D G 1066 MHz dual channel kit and GEIL 2 GB x 2 DDR2 PC2 8500 1066 MHz dual channel kit to give a total of 8 GB in 4 modules

4. Video: ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics processor

5. Audio: HDA ATI ALC889A integrated audio processor

6. Power supply unit: Zebronics Zeb-450 W (DSATA) economy series [20 + 4 pin]

7. Case: Case Master Mesh 908 580 W black/silver

I used to run Kubuntu 11.10 on the above PC.

I now need to reinstate the PC by preferably replacing the motherboard alone and re-using as many of the above components as possible.

Since I am new to India, and also no hardware expert, I seek your kind answers to several questions that have arisen in my mind as a result of the motherboard failure:

1. Is it sensible to replace the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with an identical one? There seem to be three almost perfect fits for this model at AnythingInIT from whom I have not purchased anything so far. The prices range from ₹ 3964 to ₹ 5523. What alarmed me was their disclaimer[*] that if I got something that did not work on receipt, I would be left high and dry, as they disowned all liability in their terms and conditions. Any advice on a reputable, reasonable, and reasonably-priced online vendor for a replacement board is most appreciated.
[* The consumer-protection laws in many other countries where I have lived will simply negate such disclaimers. I do not how it is in India.]

2. If The Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H is problem prone and not worth replacing, what alternative drop-in replacement motherboards--manufacturers and models--would you recommend, bearing in mind that this is a system that has just reached its third birthday. It would be ideal if the CPU and memory that I already have can be re-used to minimize expenditure.

3. If the above option is not viable, what replacement motherboard/CPU/memory combination would you recommend that meets or exceeds the specifications of my now defunct system, and which does not cost a bomb?

Now for a small aside before my last question. I have an identical desktop system as above which suddenly reboots after 10 or so minutes while playing videos. I have been advised on the Ubuntu Forums that this could be due to poor heat sinking for the processor and/or faulty PSU. I have vacuumed the heat sink and fan using a drinking straw and think that the fault should lie with the Zebronics PSU. From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, it appears that this PSU might not be up to it when playing videos. So, I am thinking of replacing the PSU with a Corsair VX450W SMPS which carries a 5-year warranty.

4. Would you recommend replacing the Zebronics PSU with a Corsair VX450W SMPS for either or both systems? If not, kindly suggest alternatives. Also, would you be able to recommend a reasonably priced online vendor with a good track record? So, far, my experience has been limited to Flipkart.com who have excelled both in price and performance.

Thank you for reading through this long post. I look forward to receiving your valuable advice.

dude, I have exactly same board and it has failed on me just after the warranty expired, gave it to gigabyte service center in Secunderabad for repair, did not want to buy new part for an old processor.

From my experience I have seen that that an average life of a system is close to 5 years until you get the full return on your initial investment.

Your proccy is out of date but still has some horsepower left in it. Assuming your board is out of warranty, the board (or the system as a whole) still has almost 1.5 years worth of return left.

So, I think you should definitely look for service options and get your board repaired.

I may not have answered all your questions but I hope this helps.

i have the same board ,i have a quad on it though ,I tried overclocking cpu,overclocked it to 3 ghz gave me a bsod,then would not boot ,checked the the back side of the board was brown just behind the mosfets ,seems might have burnt ,gave it for warranty ,they fixed it but they told me that this board should not be with a quad ,and the same thing will happen :huh:,but its running for a past year.

Back