Audio Replacing my Altec Lansing VS2321

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
I have Altec Lansing VS2321 2.1 speaker set, purchased in 2007. Speakers still sound mind blowing. Off late its 3.5 mm jack developed problem and there was audio coming out only from left speaker. However when 3.5 mm jack wire (near green colored plastic) twisted in 360 degrees right would work sometimes. Today I tried to check if I can replace the wire but found out that they are not open-able completely. Now I m left with a working sub-woofer which has one 8 - pin DIN out at back and a 2 pin power plug.

I have 2 queries.
Can I get some 2.0 speakers and hook up them to this sub-woofer ?
If not, which 2.1 speakers I should buy for around 2.5-3K with good bass capability ?

Last edited:
Which wire is damaged exactly and at which end? I have a vs4121 and the input wire is a 3.5mm male to male stereo cord.

3.5mm male end of speaker which goes in to motherboard's 3.5mm female. So when I insert it and it does not work properly unless I twist and adjust it.

ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1379567204.534749.jpg

The thing in picture is having issues. I thought to replace entire 3.5mm jack wire. But speakers are not open-able. They still sound very good when I m able to twist it properly.

Also I doubt if joined other wire by cutting current one, it will hamper audio quality.

Any solution for this issue ?

You can replace that jack. Its available in electrical stores for few bucks. I thought the whole wire can be replaced. Or is it attached permanently to speaker sub at its other end?

Its attached to right speaker (soldered inside to a logic board). I tried to open right speaker by removing screws in bottom but looks like its upper part is glued heavily. So cant open it completely and replace this thing along with entire wire.

Nope. Right now I m using it as is. We (me & my bro) had tried to open the right speaker unit that day but no success and ended up damaging speaker cosmetically.

Since I m occupied, till this Saturday, in a certification exam this thing have taken back seat.

Bumping my old thread again, this thing is still unresolved. Now since I am done with studies and placements, I have some time to look on this.

What you guys suggest ? By what magnitude audio quality will be hampered if there is a join of wires in between ? If it is significant, what good speakers I should look in to - budget is flexible around 5-6k but lesser the better ? I had earlier tried to get C2 but could not find them locally, may be have to hit Lammy Road. :bored:

I still like and get satisfaction with the audio quality of them when I am able to twist AND hold wire in the manner which sorts this :(

No need tow worry dude. I have been in same situation some yrs back with my mercury 2.1 set.
I simply cut the faulty wire (3.5mm) and joined/attached another 3.5mm wire but made sure it was joined perfectly and used electric tape to fit it properly. I had no solder gun so this was the only way.
It still serving honestly on to my uncles dvd player. :)

Bumping this year old thread to update it.

Finally I got over my laziness I shown for repairing this set. Bought a 3.5mm plug locally and got it soldered in an electrical shop next building. Speakers are back in life. Yet to gauge the impact on sound quality but I played 'London Thumakda' from movie Queen to test. They do sound good. Cost involved in this repair is just ₹40.

Back