Request help understanding customs duty charged

surajspai

Disciple
Hello,
I have been importing some spares and parts to mod my watches,mainly from multiple places in Europe.
Now, I dont ask for undervaluation ,so,I pay full duty charged,but lately it seems to be a rip off.
Is it post GST?I dont know.

So,here's how a package was charged-It had 2 bezels,a couple of crystals and a bunch of gaskets for a total of 176GPB, shipped.
Now,they have taken 87.95Rs as the conversion rate,so

Declared value - 15479 Rs
Freight (20% of DV) - 3095 Rs
Insurance (1.125 % of DV) - 175 Rs

Total assessable value(a) - 18749 Rs

Rate of duty Amount of duty in Rs
Basic customs duty(b) -10% on (a) 1875
CESS(c) -3% on (b) 56
IGST (d) -28% on (a)+(b)+(c) 5790

Total duty payable 7722 Rs (I have already paid the amount)

Now,
1.Why is freight 20% of declared value?everyone combines the shipping charge in the declared value and customs is charged on shipping too,but why this rip off?
2.Insurance is already pre paid by me,so why do they charge Insurance again?
3.Can I have the package re evaluated?has anyone tried doing so?
I have a couple more parcels at the post office,with a combined duty of 10000 Rs ,on similar lines.

Suraj

Can I have the package re evaluated?

Moreover, if the consignment is on CFR, CIF, DAP, DDU, DDP or any other Inco Terms, you can declare the actual freight amount and insurance amount. However, such amount of freight and insurance should not be an abnormal amount than market value. These value is mentioned electronically when filing Bill of Entry with customs for import clearance procedure by importer or his Customs House Agent.

Link

I would say it's just crooks handling our govt who have been increasing taxes on anything and everything possible and in any way possible. Custom duties have seriously become very high post gst.

1. Why is freight 20% of declared value? everyone combines the shipping charge in the declared value and customs is charged on shipping too, but why this rip-off?

Ans:- As per Indian Customs Assessable value Calculation rule. 20% of Invoice value or Actual Freight whichever is lees is used for Assessable value calculation.

2. Insurance is already pre-paid by me, so why do they charge Insurance again?

Ans:- If you have already paid the Freight and insurance then your shipping term will be CIF.

Back