Budget 21-30k Required Help!!! Desktop Computer for everyday work...plz HELP!!! BUDGET 28k

Yash Mathur

Disciple
A fast computer for daily work (web browsing, movies, word processing, video callings etc) which could last for like next 4-5 years with no problems
I did some homework and narrowed down to the following list..tell me if i can add anything more. I can spend 30k at maximum (excluding the monitor).

Here it goes

Processor- Core i5 2400 or core i5 3550
MotherBoard- please suggest me.
RAM- 8GB or more
Graphics card- i dont require.
Cabinet- CoolerMaster or any good brand under Rs 2000
HDD- 250 or 500GB ... SATA III (6gbps)
PSU- Please advice me on this.
Wifi Card (not the usb adapter)

Please tell me if im missing anything else

P.S. Is there any major difference b/w 2nd gen i5 and 3rd gen i5. I know the lithography of 3rd gen is 22nm. Is it worth spending money on 3rd generation.

Thank YOU :)

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• CPU- Pentium 4 @3ghz
  • Motherboard - I dont know

• GPU - No

• RAM - DDR 1 GB

• Monitor - CRT 15 inch
  • SMPS - I dont know

• (please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• CPU - Intel core i5 2400 or core i5 3550 (from price and performance
  • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard...

• GPU - Do i require. (please advice me on this and tell me if its in my budget)
  • DVD- Sony or LG
  • Cabinet- Cooler master within Rs 2000
  • PSU- if i require
  • RAM- 2X4 GB any good brand (1333mhz
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

• Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
  • a led monitor of 20 inch

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

• Delhi
  • Open to online purchase
  • Flipkart
  • Nehru pLace

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

• Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

• Word processing
  • Browsing
  • Desktop Processing
  • HTPC
  • Download rig, 24x7 operation
  • Watching HD movies
  • Music
  • It must run at least for next four years without a problem
  • Some Photoshop

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

• no

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
no

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1280x728

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

• No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

• Windows 7 64 bit
  • Linux - Ubuntu
  • Can i use mac OS (hackintosh)
​

Intel i3 2100-6.2k
Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k
Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1333MHZ-3.5k
AMD HD7750-7.3k
Seasonic S12ii 430W-2.7k
Nzxt Gamma-2.4k
LG OR Samsung DVD-RW-1k
If you're going to game on the given resolution then the suggested gpu is good enough,Even when you upgrade to 20" monitor it'd be good enough to play all games.
If you don't want the gpu then you can go for i5 2400-10.5k
Hope this helps.:)

Hey jakob,

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

HEY JAKOB
thanks man thats been a great help. But the thing is, i wont play games at all actually. I need it for all that office work, surfing and all the normal day to day work. So i need a computer which can do these work flawlessly for like next four or five years.
Well i did some homework and narrowed down to two processor viz. Intel Core i5 2400 or Intel core i5 3550. I guess ur more experienced person in the field....so what would you recommend sir?
The i5 3550 is the third generation and cost around 2-3k more than i5 2400. So is it worth spending 2-3k on it?
Is there any compromise i can make on powersupply? Is that the minimum watt i need to get?

And what will be ur comment on this cabinet Cooler Master CMP-350 Mid Tower Cabinet | Cabinet | Flipkart.com ??

Thanks
You have been a great help!

I've suggested a little more than 2k psu which is what you should get and your budget is not enough to go for i5 3550,Go for the rig i've suggested as it'll give you good performance for gaming and everything else @Mac.rock7 there's no i5 3550K,It's i5 3550 and op is not overclocking so no need to suggest K series proccy.
so can u suggest me some good psu within 2k?
otherwise i will be exceeding my budget

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any major difference b/w 2nd gen i5 and 3rd gen i5. I know the lithography of 3rd gen is 22nm. Is it worth spending money on 3rd generation.

In desktop department, not much. Otherwise 3rd gen or Ivy Bridge gives you HD4000 (very few desktop IVB's have HD4000 though), plus a bit better power efficiency. Architecturally, its based on 3D tri gate transistors, 22nm fabrication process.

But the thing is, i wont play games at all actually. I need it for all that office work, surfing and all the normal day to day work. So i need a computer which can do these work flawlessly for like next four or five years.
Well i did some homework and narrowed down to two processor viz. Intel Core i5 2400 or Intel core i5 3550. I guess ur more experienced person in the field....so what would you recommend sir?
The i5 3550 is the third generation and cost around 2-3k more than i5 2400. So is it worth spending 2-3k on it?
Is there any compromise i can make on powersupply? Is that the minimum watt i need to get?

You don't really need i5 on the first hand, just settle for an i3 with a medicore GPU. The GPU @Jakob suggested is very good & more than enough to handle your all gaming + HD tasks. You can save some money there if you are so sure that you won't ever need a GPU.

And don't compromise on power supply, it always better to be on safer side than to regret later.

so basically the ivybridge is a major upgrade in the lappy range.
Well then ill go for the psu which u suggested..
and i dont think my dad will really like going for core i5. So can i watch full hd movies with intel hd 2000?

And is there anything else which i can do with the rig?

From where can i get pirated windows 7 64bit and get my pc assembled? or shall i assemble the pc myself

HD2000 may have difficult handling 1080p videos. Just get an entry level GPU. If you don't wish to go for 7770, get a 6670.

And piracy is allowed not here mate, so better not discuss it. I encourage you to go for genuine OS or use FOSS.

You can try assembling PC yourself by taking the help from several youtube videos.

HD2000 may have difficult handling 1080p videos. Just get an entry level GPU. If you don't wish to go for 7770, get a 6670.

And piracy is allowed not here mate, so better not discuss it. I encourage you to go for genuine OS or use FOSS.

You can try assembling PC yourself by taking the help from several youtube videos.

No no, INTEL's GPU can playback 1080p videos just fine don't worry.

I would worry about games, any game actually.

well thats some good ethics concerning piracy. Respect to you man!
well mate what is ur suggestion for this graphics card Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

actually even if i want to install a graphics card, i would limit the budget till 2.5k.
im sorry but i actually want bang for the buck and the pricing which im talking would make u laugh. Anyway the smps required after the graphic card would be something more i believe, as according to flipkart a 400 watt smps is a recommended

what is foss? shall i go for ubuntu then

one of my friend suggested AMD fx 8150. How is it? it has 8cores and 16 mb of cache
what will be ur opinion on it?
shall i go for amd or stick to amd only?

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

one of my friend suggested AMD fx 8150. How is it? it has 8cores and 16 mb of cache

well thats some good ethics concerning piracy. Respect to you man!
well mate what is ur suggestion for this graphics card Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

actually even if i want to install a graphics card, i would limit the budget till 2.5k.
im sorry but i actually want bang for the buck and the pricing which im talking would make u laugh. Anyway the smps required after the graphic card would be something more i believe, as according to flipkart a 400 watt smps is a recommended

what is foss? shall i go for ubuntu then

I would suggest you to target at least 6670. But if you are so sure you would never launch a game, then you can go for low end cards like GTS240, see that you buy DDR5 cards, not DDR3. You can try any good desi PSU for the time being with these low end cards. Also keep in mind that cards such as gts210/520 hardly perform better than HD2000, easily kicked out by HD3000.

FOSS = Free & open source software. Yes, you can go with Ubuntu, its great.

Jumping from i3 to fx8150? Fx8150 is good but not for you mate. Just stick with i3.

I would suggest you to target at least 6670. But if you are so sure you would never launch a game, then you can go for low end cards like GTS240, see that you buy DDR5 cards, not DDR3. You can try any good desi PSU for the time being with these low end cards. Also keep in mind that cards such as gts210/520 hardly perform better than HD2000, easily kicked out by HD3000.

FOSS = Free & open source software. Yes, you can go with Ubuntu, its great.

Jumping from i3 to fx8150? Fx8150 is good but not for you mate. Just stick with i3.

Hey buddy i completely understAnd ur concern. But even if i stick to intel i would go for corei5 2400.
So now im conflict between core i5 or amd fx 8150

So which one will u suggest me from performance and longevity point of view

and if i take amd processor, the mother board has ati radeon hd 4250 gpu

Im sorry but i seriously dont know abt graphics card (which one is better and which one is good)
im nt willing to spend a spend fortune on gpu but on processor

Thanks man....You have been a great help

PLZZZ HELP :)

But even if i stick to intel i would go for corei5 2400.

Im sorry but i seriously dont know abt graphics card (which one is better and which one is good)

mate go for Intel core I5 processor and if you want a gpu then go with @Jakob suggested gpu and if you are not interested in gpu then spend your money on PSU,ups,processor.

you will need a ups for your office purpose so go with microtek 800VA with dual battery price Rs.2700/-

Hope this help.

Cheers.

Hey buddy i completely understAnd ur concern. But even if i stick to intel i would go for corei5 2400.

Longevity depends on what are your requirements. And i3 will be enough for you. i5 benefits in core computing tasks, such as encoding, editing/rendering stuffs, VMs, de/compression, etc.

Don't buy the GPU for now (if you stress so much), as you can add it later anytime if you the feel the need for it.

And spending a fortune on one single component doesn't makes your system future proof, rather keep the components balanced.

i have a dedicated inverter/power backup for the computer and its 2000va.
so i dont think getting inverter is required.
anyway ill be definitely spending money on psu and processor.
So is intel core i5 better or amd fx8150?

Go for i5 it's better than AMD FX,Also if you want external gpu then get i3 it'll fit the budget.
i have a dedicated inverter/power backup for the computer and its 2000va.
so i dont think getting inverter is required.
anyway ill be definitely spending money on psu and processor.
So is intel core i5 better or amd fx8150?

Back