Revanced: possible successor to vanced utube

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
The official domain is https://revanced.app which currently points to their github repos.

To keep things legal and clean the idea is different this time. Everything is open source and there's no mention of utube anywhere. These bunch of developer are writing a patcher that will patch a standard utube apk into revanced version. The point is, you have to bring your own source apk and you have to patch it yourself. Or get it from someone who has already patched one.

There do exist some unofficial guides on how to do what. Here's one easy guide. Although, steps are easy to follow, I wouldn't recommend it. You are basically patching a google product using google's own computational power and its tied to your gmail. So google knows what you are doing.

No spoon feeding.

Last edited:
I think, currently it only does ad blocking and nothing else. The project is starting out so we will have to give the developers more time to implement other stuff.

So every time youtube updates you have to build it again....
Yeah. Either that or someone else will do it for everyone.

The official domain is https://revanced.app which points to their github repos.

To keep things legal and clean the idea is different this time. Everything is open source and there's no mention of utube anywhere. These bunch of developer are writing a patcher that will patch a standard utube apk into revanced version. The point is, you have to bring your own source apk and you have to patch it yourself.

There do exist some unofficial guides on how to do what. Here's one easy guide.

No spoon feeding.
Was building it locally but the Colab version is better as it can be done on the device itself.

Was building it locally but the Colab version is better as it can be done on the device itself.
Although, steps are easy to follow, I wouldn't recommend it. You are basically patching a google product using google's own computational power and its tied to your gmail. So google knows what you are doing.

Does it work with the screen off ?
As per some youtube videos, this feature might not be there yet. Search on youtube though.

Been using the Revanced Builder for quite some time and it has a GUI to select which features are to be excluded (all are included by default). It is feature complete now and exceeds the original Vanced modifications.

Is there a clear list of what features revanced now offers?

Does original youtube app support this?
no, and likely never will :sorry:

But if you tap on the left end of the screen you can do that. So physical intervention on the screen is needed.

Maybe I need to record a macro and do a Bixby routine. Then tie it to the volume buttons.

double - goes back and + goes forward

this would be the phone volume buttons though.

Don't know as yet if it is possible to do that from the headset which is what I want to do.

Last edited:
Don't know as yet if it is possible to do that from the headset which is what I want to do.
I don't think it's possible at system level. I could be wrong though. Android developer could tell us if forward and reverse exist as standard media calls at system level. If they do exist then maybe yeah it's possible to remap next previous to forward and reverse.

Audible and storytel have remapped these at app level. So maybe try finding your podcast on these apps.

Audible and storytel have remapped these at app level. So maybe try finding your podcast on these apps.
Podcasts work fine this way. The trick is getting vanced or even youtube to do the same thing. A lot of my listening happens to be there.

Otherwise have to convert the audio and then use the audio file but that's a hassle to do.

When the screen is on there is no problem because the app supports it. Screen off is how I listen a lot with vanced and there is no possibility.

I could also use this functionality with youtube. But as revanced is open source, we could add this functionality ourselves.

Reavnced patcher has become a really good open source project now they not only able to patch YT but also now you can patch reddit, twitter to remove ads from them.

Reavnced patcher has become a really good open source project now they not only able to patch YT but also now you can patch reddit, twitter to remove ads from them.
Oh my dear goodness, if this motion continues, we would see fan customizations for all popular apps.

After the dislike ban, I had a little chat with SponserBlock developer (he's Indian BTW). I wanted to suggest him how he could implement dislike feature through sponsor block but the dude was already ahead of everyone. He had started working on video categorisation which in turn would be much better than adding dislike button back. Dunno what happened to that project.

Anyway, some sleepless nights are in order for Google.

Or they could learn from the users and implement these customisations in the official version. I would have gladly paid for youtube premium if the official youtube player was as feature rich as the vanced.

Back