Review: Asus O! Play Mini

Review: Asus O! Play Mini

After much delay posting this short review.

The player was with me for hardly 20 mins, which i somehow utilized to squeeze out these points. The Pics have been clicked with HTC Incredible S, so something else which might interest you
happy19.gif

Introduction:-

Asus O! Play Mini is a compact media player which is capable of playing most of the video and audio formats apart from the usual picture files. Main attraction is a basic player which promises to deliver while still keeping the pricing to a bare minimum. Sure the player doesnt gives two hoots to future proofing by including the USB 3.0 support, but does provides the goodness of 7.1 surround sound and support for full 1080p. NAS, DLNA and 3.5" HDD support augments the package.

2ekm5jo.jpg

334qiz4.jpg

Package Contents:-

1) Asus O Play Mini

2) Composite Cables

3) Ac Adapter

4) Remote for the player

5) Installation Disc

6) Manual

7) Remote Batteries

Asus has taken out the HDMI cable from the bundle when it was announced.

o926iv.jpg

jqlxsi.jpg

Specifications:-

Dimensions (WxDxH):-

151.85 x 106.7 x 29.03 mm

Weight:-

175 g

Input:-

1 x DC Power In

1 x USB Port(s)

1 x S/PDIF (Optical)

4 -in-1 Card Readers ( SD/ MS/ xD/ MMC)

Output:-

Composite Video

Composite Audio L/R

S/PDIF Out (Optical)

HDMI 1.3

Power:- 12 Vdc, 2 A

Power Consumption:- 10 W

File Systems:-

FAT16/32, NTFS, HFS/HFS+, EXT3

Format Comatibility

Image : JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF

Subtitle : SRT, SUB, SMI, SSA, ASS, IDX, TXT

Audio : MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS 2.0 +Digital out, Tag ID3

Video : MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, RM, RMVB, VC-1, H.264

Video File Extension : TRP, MP4, MOV, Xvid, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, RMVB 720p, RMVB 1080p, FLV, TS, MTS, M2TS, DAT, MPG, VOB, ISO, IFO, M1V, M2V, M4V

Set Up:-

Setting up the Player is easy as you would like. Plug in the component cables and the adapter at the back and you are set. The regular jazz.

My testing of this player was carried out on Samsung 32" LCD. Stock Settings. O/p was derived via HDMI cable.

13z01g5.jpg

First thing which comes to the mind is "Boy! This player is really tiny!!"

dmclg0.jpg

Upon firing up the player you are greeted with the set up screen.

You proceed to set the Language and Time.

2eg46jp.jpg

Through with the initial step, you are presented with a basic menu.

Menu comprises of Movie/Songs/Pics/Folder By/Setting options.

Be Warned, If you select the Movie files option.. and you happen to have a large stash of movies on your HDD, then may the force be with you.

Expected action was to scan only the files on the root of the HDD and display the rest folders simply but the player scans every video file, a la bot spiders of Minority Report, and you ll have to wait a decent bit. I had attached a 160GB hdd and i had to wait frustratingly.

Better option is to select the 'Folder By' option and navigate to your desired file.

2hnqqrr.jpg

The player displays the file names on the right side and opens a small display window on the left.

Interestingly, this is not a preview/sampler on your left. The player will go on to play the entire length of the movie file.

Performance:-

As expected, (although i was a bit jittery)

the player proceeded to play every file i threw at it. Be it the 720p or the 1080p file without any hitch.

Was pretty happy and satisfied with the performance. Then just like a sweeping thought, disconnected the HDD and played the same file directly via the LCD's USB

i noticed the details of the movie file via O Play Mini was a shade lesser. Just a spot.

To put it in perspective, the quality of USB playback was 10/10, Asus scored a very decent 9/10

I found the default level of brightness a shade higher. One quick adjustment in the menu to level 23/24 got things as desired. Nothing to crib about, just a heads up.

dxcsqe.jpg

The remote could have been supplied with better buttons. Meatier than usual meant that a bit of a play was there while pressing them. But they still did the job.

Positives:-

Form Factor: Seen lunch boxes bigger than this.

Setup: Simple and Jiffy.

Picture Quality: 9/10.

The cheap price cannot be ignored: ~3550 shipped.

Negatives:-

Noticed lag of 2 sec approx in oprations like stop, start.

Lags a wee bit while browsing through files.

Buttons surely are extra meaty. Tactile response is not tight.

HDMI cable not there in pckg.

The lags as mentioned above are there just for the sake of it.

For the price that they are being offered for, i dont think you can crib about it.

Verdict:-

Looking at the Asus O! Play Mini, and keeping the pricing in mind, the thought which comes to the mind automatically is.. that was it too hard for the stellar companies to come up with a device which did just what a player should and not cost a bomb??

The O play mini does that and doesnt burns a hole in the pocket at the same time.

With the pricing of 3550/- shipped that i got this player for, it really is the best bang for money out there as no other manufacturer has offered anything this cheap.

Whatever the little negatives i observed, they are just minor things which can be easily overlooked in the wake of the value for money deal being offered here.

A sureshot purchase for the needy. 5/5 Product.

Update:-

1) New firmware addresses the lag (during menu scrolling) and other UI issues.

2) Confirmed by users that Dolby True HD is working, but DTS HD MA still not supported

3) Price been jacked up to 3975/- now. The new pricing stings a little bit, as price bracket of ~35xx was sweet psychologically. But, it stil remains a nifty solution in its price range.

Re: Review: Asus O! Play Mini

Excellent review Spacey. :)

Could you shed some more light on the "jittery" performance? What kind of file was it? Does it support time search facility? Subtitle tweaks?

Arey I meant, I was jittery.. that how this purchase will fare out..
The files went smoothly through.
I played files right from your run of the mill 720p to 1080p mkv first up. Then came the wmv and the avi files.
Files with separate and hardcoded subtitle files went as they should have been. Was thoroughly satisfied as the players had been ordered for my friends after much coaxing and recommendation from my side.
EDIT:- The lag while navigating is really small. Just to keep the hotheads from coming at me, have kept the approximation to near abt 2 sec. You def wont feel that its anywhere near 2 sec.
As far as the time search facility is concerned, iirc that was not there.. but the player resumed the file play from memory. That came as a Huge relief.
I couldnt help but make the comparisons with my Samsung's menu/features. Strikingly similar layout and functionalities.

For this price. its just awesome.

Did u try playing any very high bit rate 1080p? Although the chances of a normal person to download those on the current UL connections are very less. :S.

The remote does see very well built and way better than the WDTV ones.

Like the review Spacey. To the point and hammers the price point perspective home...! Quite worth it for how much is charged.

Just 3550 shipped? Wow. Would you be able to tell how it compares to the WDTV? I bought one for 5K less than a year back and feel bad seeing this price. I don't have complaints with the WDTV, but if I could have got a similar thing for cheaper why not!

Excellent review! Convinced me to pull the trigger on my unit. :)

Just waiting for that stupid display to show up.

EDIT: Repped.

Very nice and detailed review. Just one correction, it comes composite cable and not component cable. I does not have even component output.

I also own one and feel one minor problem which may not be problem for many of others. I have many blu-ray copied on my HDD and we have to browse to the folder where actual .M2TS file is stored. Whereas my other media player plays it from the root. Unwanted 4-5 clicks on remote is quite irritating. But this is not at all deal-breaker. This can be fixed in future firmwares. :)

Sharp work man and my bad too.

Correction made. Thanks for pointing it out :)

I genuinely felt adding minor things to the list of negatives might just plant the idea of 'too many negatives'. Some people might complain about how the body is plastic and not metallic built. Pointless things might just best be avoided. (just another thing which i have not mentioned in the review.. not in reference to your problem one bit )

The player is a solid option for people with LCDs which wont let them play movie files.

Ah, NAS?! How was your experience while downloading torrent with it?

Also, EXT3 file support is a good plus for this product. I am thinking of getting this too.

Good review Spacey.

The price is low, but there is not HDD, no streaming/web content (since it doesnt have any LAN port) and as you mentioned yourself, the inbuilt USB playback on your TV has better quality than this media player. Its true there is not much targetted online content available for streamers in India yet(since Netflix, Blockbuster, etc not available in India), but it should be in the future. These are valid and "not minor" negatives that need to be mentioned, however I do appreciate the time you have put into review. Looking forward to your reviews in the future :)

axis said:
the inbuilt USB playback on your TV has better quality than this media player.
Beg to differ in one point. The TV cannot output digital audio (Dolby D, DTS) when you play the content via the TV's USB port. Whereas this tiny player sports an optical out port. The HDMI is also capable of bistreaming the audio.

Nice review Spacey!!
I'm planning on getting a mediaplayer. Confused between this one and ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (USB+eSATA+LAN). Which one to go with?

Gannu said:
Beg to differ in one point. The TV cannot output digital audio (Dolby D, DTS) when you play the content via the TV's USB port. Whereas this tiny player sports an optical out port. The HDMI is also capable of bistreaming the audio.

Thats not my assessment, just quoting what spacescreamer said in the review.

Spacescreamer said:
Then just like a sweeping thought, disconnected the HDD and played the same file directly via the LCD's USB
i noticed the details of the movie file via O Play Mini was a shade lesser. Just a spot.
To put it in perspective, the quality of USB playback was 10/10, Asus scored a very decent 9/10

How does the DLNA feature come up? This should resolve the connectivity & controlling issues with other devices? Did anyone test the DLNA?

i am looking forward to buy a media player how can Asus o! mini be compared to Seagate theatre + leaving the cost factor aside

i am just tending towards Seagate as i have 2 GOFLEX drives with me and Also going to buy another one

Does any one here using it?

Back