Review : Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700

A mini quick review of - Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700

Why the entry of the new keyboard?

So, the TVS champ started to die. A-S-D-F-Control went dead to start with. Well, I said, what the heck? – RMA it. So I start the RMA battle and after a couple of calls to the service center they say they don’t have the same model in stock, but if I want a normal ( non multimedia ) model I can have it picked up over the desk. So, I say OK, I shall settle for it. So I start digging up for the bill (as it was a mandatory requirement for the RMA), and alas once I find it, it’s out of warranty. So, I say the same thing, what the heck? And out came my army of screwdrivers. In 5 minutes, I had a dozen screws, 2 plastic covers and a membrane of circuit design staring at me. I clear of the dust and re-fix the full thing. Typing A-Z no missed keys! But wait; now the ctrl buttons and some other buttons don’t work. Hence the new purchase and hence this. (It’s been almost 2 yrs I did a review about anything, so please don’t flame me)

Competition?

Well, not really. The last time I assembled a PC for a friend of mine, I had purchased the Microsoft Desktop Optical 600 (as far as I remember). Yes, it was wired, but I just fell in love with the keyboard. Now, I didn’t really need a mouse since the existing mouse was functioning well, but then can’t buy a wireless keyboard separately. So, I was set with the decision to get the combo.

Options:

Logitech - (Ruled out on the basis of the price comparison with Microsoft package, it was just 100 rupees cheaper)

iBall - (Dint really consider it)

Microsoft - Deal Done.

Unpacking

Just as expected top class. The package consisted of –

1) Keyboard

2) Mouse

3) 2x AA Duracell Batteries

4) 2x AAA Duracell Batteries

5) The common keyboard – mouse receiver

6) A user manual

Up and Running

On the clock! It took exactly 20 seconds to have this up and running. I din’t have to even use the “connect” buttons on the keyboard or the mouse. It automatically connected and the setup was on. No drivers, no tweaks, no additional software required. Plug and Play!

Review – Keyboard

The keys have a lovely soft feel to it. Standard size of the keyboard so the ‘logical’ mind doesn’t have to get used to the new placement of keys. At times, different keyboards have variable size of keys and their placements do differ and often it takes a while to get used to them.

5406882191_a25324639c_z.jpg

5406882251_3c63fba89a_z.jpg

For example, my last keyboard a Logitech and then the TVS champ, it took me a while to get used to it. But this was just out of the box. Now, I don’t know how many of you have ever used the old Logitech keyboard that used to come along with a big palm rest. This Microsoft keyboard feels very much like it when typing. The keys are nice and soft and they don’t make a lot of noise.

Apart from the standard keys it has a couple of additional keys like – Email, Home, Favorites, Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume - , Mute, Multimedia, Calculator.

5407490252_0260407ec8.jpg

There is no lag cause of the wireless aspect. *Although the receiver is placed around 1.5 feet below the keyboard (Obstructed by a wood wall approx 0.75”).

The keyboard has a battery indicator light on it to indicate when the battery is low and needs to be replaced.

5406882145_ac7051802a_m.jpg

Review – Mouse

Standard mouse with left, right click and the third click on the scroll wheel.

5406881957_bfe7a3e353_m.jpg

5406882333_82307ee524_m.jpg

5407490550_fd41ee68b2_m.jpg

Again, as mentioned above the receiver is at a decent distance, however, there is no lag from the mouse pointer at all. Again, like the keyboard, it’s the usual size, and hence no need to adopt. The scroll wheel is smooth and mainly there is no annoying ‘tic-tic-tic’ noise when the scroll wheel is used.

5406882387_1d8385e410_m.jpg

The clicks do have a tic noise but it’s definitely lesser than most of the mice out there. One point to note, the cover of the compartment where the batteries have to be placed is a bit tacky, and the hinges seem a bit flimsy.

5406881877_effdfd5bff_m.jpg

5406881851_a07acab1c9_m.jpg

Battery Consumption

Now, it’s less than 24 hours, hence I can’t really comment on the battery consumption. But I have had my share of observations. The first thing when I was setting up the mouse, I said to myself “hey, where is the on/off button”. Yes, there are no on/off buttons on the keyboard or on the mouse. However, Microsoft has done their bit to save battery consumption and this is how. The device has an automatic sleep mode to preserve power consumption from the batteries. The mouse has a timeout – i.e if the mouse is idle for 30 seconds the optical beam dims out and after an idle of approximately 5 minutes the mouse shuts off completely. The connection back the system is instant when either of the clicks is pressed or the scroll wheel is rotated. However, one point to note here is, if you are traveling somewhere or taking the keyboard or the mouse along somewhere, it would be a good idea to unplug the batteries.

5407490480_9914f56f13.jpg

Overall Pro’s-

-Standard placement of keys and size of the keyboard

-Excellent typing position with the support legs on the keyboard

-Keys are nice and soft

-Doesn’t have that cheap plastic feel to it.

-Smooth mouse

-Easy to setup, completely plug and play.

Overall Con’s-

-Now, this struck me last night. Not exactly a con, but just a matter of getting used to it. There are no light indicators on the keyboard. So, there is no indication of the Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock keys being on or off. Understood, these things are now replaced by visual notifications on the screen. But, they should ‘at least’ have had an indicator for Caps On/Off on the keyboard.

-They should have had power on/off button on the keyboard and on the mouse. It would have been an added advantage.

Conclusion

For Rs.1200 this is value for money. I haven’t really tried the other ones out there and hence I wouldn’t comment if this is the best of them. It comes with a 3 year warranty period.

Personal Score : 8/10 (1 negative for no indicators on the keyboard and 1 negative for no “on/off” switch on the devices.

cravikum said:
what about battery life??? range of the keyboard?
Already mentioned above under heading Battery Consumption. If you can tell me how I can actually test the battery life please let me know. Although they say the battery would usually last 4-5 months, in reality it all depends on how much usage the keyboard and the mouse undergo. Regarding range of the keyboard and the mouse, I have again mentioned above the distance from which I am operating the same at present. I shall further test a 'straight line' and no obstruction based range and update the above. Thanks for reading.

I have the same model. The battery life is pretty average. I've changed the batteries for the mouse 3 times in the last 2 months.

Good review, but I would say that its better to shell out the extra cash for the Logitech MK250. I have used both the combos and MK250 is substantially better in terms of design and battery life. Plus, you get a receiver designed like a flash drive = no dangling wires.

Try Logitech MK250, it does not have all that cable clutter for the receiver and has good range.

However, nice review.

Logitech MK320 is also pretty damn good about for Rs.1250

tiny receiver, nice multimedia keys,

although this too lacks light indicators for the keyboard n mouse

Great wireless range of upto 10 feet i think, never had a non-resposive keyboard/mouse so far i have used it.

battery life is pretty good though, been using it for almost a yr with the default battery package,no change of battery for me so far, use it for about 12-15hrs a week.

Also no "connect" buttons so no jhanjat, truly just plug n play

i own this and the wireless range is too small.if i take it even 2 feet away it starts to lag and the keyboard stops working.you have to keep the receiver very very close.

Bought the same model last May for 1.5k. Have not yet replaced the keyboard batteries till date. However, had replaced the mouse batteries twice in about 1.5 month. So, discontinued using the mouse and replaced it with an extremely comfortable-to-use Razer Abyssus. Moreover, the mouse, with two AA batteries inside, is a bit heavy to move around for a small hand like mine. Ordinary batteries other than from good brands like Duracell will run out in a day or so.

The keyboard is very comfortable to use though it doesn't have a visual indicator for the Caps/Num/Scroll Lock keys. But Windows 7 users will not find this a con as the OS has an audio indicator for such lock keys.

Back