[Review] Motorola E398

Moto E398:

After doing 6260 and 9500 nokia models, now i plunge to review moto E398.
Motorola E398 has been designed as a dual-function mobile phone and music player.

* First impression
To be honest, i really dont like moto phones, and ppl here also know this fact :tongue:
But i was eager to listen to the mp3 with this phone, everyone are talking about's it's Bass effect and 3D Surround Sound speakers. I was liking a non-nokia phone!
* Specifications:
~ Bands/Modes: GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz
~ GPRS (2U/4D)
~ Size: 89 cc; 108mm x 46mm x 20.5mm
~ Weight: 110g
~ Display Resolution: 176x220 65K colors ,TFT
~ Talk Time: up to 590 mins
~ StandBy Time: up to 210 hrs

* Conectivity
~ WAP 2.0
~ GPRS (2U/4D)
~ Bluetooth
~ Email: POP3, SMTP, IMAP4

Now to the individual aspects of E398

* Camera

The phone has an integrated digital camera with 4x digital zoom and a flash for taking pictures in low light.
We can share the pictures takes via MMS.
This phone can't take video capture, it's the bigest minus point,but capable of video playback.
In general the pixs taken were of good quality.

* Sounds and speakers
It's here where the phone scores. Very good quality sound and it has two speakers. Bass and 3d surround are supported as well.
It can be loud enough to listen to in a car or among a group of people. It's as good as listening with our stereo speakers.It supports MPEG video as well.
There's an adjustable sensitivity to vibrations, which makes keypad, display and side colour LEDs blink at every vibration over the sensitivity limits.

Highlights:
~ Mp3 playback
~ Mp3 ringtones support, 32 cord polyphonic.
~ 3D surround and Bass effects.
~ Loud and clear sounds
~ Two speakers
~ MPEG-4 format suport as well.
~ MOTOMIXER (Remixable MIDI ringer software)
~ stereo MP3 files and MIDI files as ringtones
~ Headsets are also provided with the phone.
~ Speaker phone

WOAH, so much to write abt it's sounds and speakers.

* Built quality/Keypads

The interface is is good unlike other moto phones, well we all have seen C375, it's keys arrangement sucks.But this is not the case with this phone.
The menu orientation is comfortable, but the mobile is a bit slow to react beacuse of a very slow processor.

It's possible to display the menu it in a list form or as a square matrix of nine positions with animated icons.
* Pros
+ Good sound
+ Excellent speakers (two)
+ Screen display, 65k TFT

* Cons
- Bluetooth issues
- no video capture
- slow processor
- no FM radio

MY opinion:
E898 is well-featured phone, a good mix of price and features. I suggest this phone for those looking for a combined phone and MP3 player. However it dont have a video capture and have very serious bluetooth issue, so it maybe suited for people who look out for MTV like fun phone.

the reviews kinda late, but anyways...this fone really kicks ass, proud owner for abt 6 months now..
the only con i see in this fone is the lack of FM radio, thts it... the slow pocessor can be made faster, and no more BT issues....i flashed my fone with the new moto s/w and flex on my own and now the fones much faster, also there are several hacks available for the fone aswell...
this is one sweet fone...also if u like doin keedas with the software n shit...there are a lot of hacks available ;)...!!

guys can pm me if u need help with docs and appz for this fone !

So, cowax, u mean to say it's a phpBB kinda thing...

The biggest disadvantage is the BT issue and no video recording thing...

Also say if it's sound is very loud, the phone i tested had a great sound but ppl say it dont has a loud sound.

friend of mine is able to play mp3's of max 200 kbps, any higher bitrate and it dosent work...:(
is this a old firmware issue??or a limitation?

Proud owner of an E398. I flashed my phone (yes, all by myself, can't believe i took that risk!!) and flexed it. Now, its super! Menus are much faster and video's now don't lag. Menu has changed too and camera quality has improved. I flashed and flexed it to 95r and 7f.

E398 is a great phone. Its sound quality can only be matched by high ranged phones like N 7710 and 6630. the Bass with vibration is the true effect. If you hold it in hand while the music with high bass is playing, you'll know what i mean.
Even now the phone is not being fully utilised, Motorola and the fans have released 2 more flashes to make e398 even faster than on 95r! V398, E398 flashed to Moto Razr V3 and 95r_A released my Moto now being widely used in China makes E398 3x faster.

E398's rythm lights just rule! its something you won't find on any other phones. it look's so damn sexy in dark :D

i use my E398 like an mp3 player, with its stereo headset, there's no difference, just like listening to an mp3 player.

After flashing my phone to 95r and 7f guess what, i can use e398 as a USB REMOVABLE HARD DRIVE !! yes, with the cable provided the computer recognized it as a Removable USB hard Drive and your e398 will now appear in the drives list in my computer to store any files i want to! But that's something that can only be achieved on higher flash versions and storage space depends on your T-Flash MMC in the phone.

the only thing it lags is vid recording, (e398 by hardware, technically IS capable of video recording, its just that MOTO itself can only do this. Its in the firmware, for some reason Moto wouldn't provide e398 with vid recording, but there's still hope Moto or some master hacker just may crack the code to vid record in future e398 updates)

take some pics of the cool phone -
http://www.gsmarena.com/review.php3?idReview=9&idPage=4
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/motorola-e398-en.shtml

Back