[REVIEW] Sandisk Sansa Fuze+

Introduction

The original Sansa Fuze achieved legendary status among music lovers since its inception. The SQ was a class apart and many people considered it the best sounding portable media player at any price point.

The main reason was that there was no deficiencies in the sound. The frequency response was ruler flat and 'neutral' was the best way to describe its sound.

However there were a few shortcomings of the Fuze. First and foremost was the lack of a decent screen. The 1.9" screen on the old Fuze was less than adequate and the player lagged behind in the looks department and UI.

The main differences between the Fuze+ and the older Fuze are the touch controls and the brand new interface. Other differences include a larger player with a bigger screen (2.4 inches 320 x 240 screen vs the old 2 inch 224 x 176 screen found on the Fuze). Another difference is that the Fuze+ no longer uses the old propriety connector and instead it uses a micro USB connector to both charge the

player as well as transfer music. The transfer speed is greatly improved compared to the older Fuze.

The Fuze+ supports the same amount of battery life as the old Fuze (24 hours of audio and 5 hours of video)

The Fuze+ was a loaner from Pristine Note.

image004cp.jpg

Specifications

* Capacities**: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB

* 2.4" bright QVGA screen (320 x 240, 30 FPS) LCD screen

* Audio formats: MP3, WMA, Secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Audible, Podcasts

* Video formats: MPEG-4***, H.264, WMV and Flip Videoâ„¢***

* Photo formats: JPEG and BMP; photo formats can be further extended with Sansa Media

Converter PC software download∞, enabling TIFF, GIF, and PNG formats

* Digital FM Tuner with record functions

* Rechargeable battery lasts up to 24 hours for audio playback and 5 hours of video playback†

* Hi-speed micro-USB 2.0 port

* Expandable microSDTM card slot and microSDHCTM card slot

* Ready for slotRadioâ„¢ & slotMusicâ„¢ memory cards

* Sleek industrial design with “invisible†capacitive touch control and highly intuitive graphical user interface

Photos and comparison with the original Sansa Fuze.

image001gm.jpg

image002uzy.jpg

image003fa.jpg

Supported formats

Sansa players are among the few budget players that support the lossless FLAC format among a plethora of other formats.

If you are planning on getting the Sansa Fuze+ for video then you might find it a bit lacking due to the relatively smaller screen size. The Fuze+ comes with a Sansa Media Convertor which converts different video formats.

Getting Music on the Player

Sandisk doesn't have any software for transferring music to your PC ala Apple with their itunes.

Those of you who have a large collection of music that would be difficult to manage can use the MTP(Media Transfer Protocol) mode which allows you to use Windows Media Player to manage music and playlists on the device. If you wish to just use the drag and drop facility then you can select the default MSC (Mass Storage Mode) which turns the Fuze into a portable drive.

Another major plus point of Sansa players is that they include a micro SD slot to increase the capacity of the drive. Currently micro sd cards of upto 32 GB are supported.

The UI

There are five touch sensitive buttons that you swipe to scroll left - right and up - down. Touching the control in the middle acts like a select button to go deeper into the menu. There is another touch control to go back.

The only physical buttons on the player are the on/off button and the volume buttons. Pressing the on/off button for a second locks the screen and another press unlocks the screen.

Earlier versions of the Fuze+ caused a lot of problems for users as the controls were too sensitive and not very precise. The player got bad reviews due to the laggy UI and a host of other niggles. Sandisk took these criticisms to heart and released many firmwares to fix most of the problems.

Using the latest firmware (02.37.01) I am happy to report that most of the issues are solved. However there are a few caveats, the player is still a bit sluggish if you try to scroll through very fast. For most people using the controls sparingly its not a big problem but for those who like to use their players controls frequently might get annoyed at the lag.

The one positive thing about the interface is that it is much better looking than the old Sansa Fuze interface and looks much more modern. The wallpaper can be changed to any photo of your choice and you can hide menus you don't want or need like Podcasts or FM radio.

FM Radio, Voice recorder and Podcasts

RDS is supported and you can record radio clips in the WAV format. Podcasts play just like any other normal mp3 file though you can speed up or slow down the playback. Bookmarks are not supported on the Fuze+.

The Voice recorder does a good job and the inbuilt mic on the Fuze+ is up to the task of capturing the audio pretty clearly. Like with the FM radio, audio clips are saved in the WAV format.

Sound Quality

According to information available online Sandisk revamped the hardware under the hood when they created the Fuze+. With the original Fuze being very popular purely due to its sound quality I was a bit apprehensive about Sandisk's decision to revamp the hardware. However on the first listen I can safety say that it sounds every bit as good as the old Fuze. The sound is ruler flat and neutral with no peaks, dips

or roll offs at either end of the spectrum.

The sound can be tweaked via the built in EQ which offers the popular EQ presets like Rock, Pop etc as well as a 5 band custom EQ. However the EQ works in such a way that if you increase a particular band, instead of increasing the dB of that particular band the Fuze+ decreases the dB of all other bands.

Another important feature that Sansa supports is Gapless playback which means non stop music.

Conclusion

The Fuze+ is a fantastic sounding player and better than any other player in its price range (Rs 4500) . However

those looking out for a PMP rather than a music player are probably better served by spending more on

a player with a bigger screen. The lag experienced when scrolling through your album or changing settings

can be a bit annoying for those that like to fiddle with their player frequently.

Even for those who don't like to fiddle with the player much can get annoyed at first when using the

touch UI (I know I did !). But after getting used to the controls it becomes second nature to use them

and now I am very comfortable using the controls.

What I liked: Fantastic sound quality, no propriety connectors or software required.

What needs improvement: Sansa needs to fix the slight lag that pops up from time to time when using

the player.

ALTERNATIVES :

For Music - If you need something that sounds just as good and in a smaller form factor then consider the Sansa Clip+. Same great sound but in a much smaller package. Cons are worse battery life and a rather tiny screen. However for around 2.5k for the 2 GB version (with option to expand to upto 32 GB) its great VFM.

There are others like Apple Shuffle and players from Transcend/Philips etc but none of them will offer the same sound quality of the Clip+/Fuze/Fuze+

For Video - For video something with a much bigger screen size is recommended. However no player in this price point offers a bigger screen. Best option is to spend aroun 9k for the renowned Cowon J3 with its 3" screen.

^^ I'm through purchasing a Sansa Clip+ from Pristine Note might pair that with a new pair of Brainwavs M1 if I get approval, I noticed that as soon as I started to hunt for a credible mp3 player ipod went out the window and in came the Sansa, but a very concise review Sire. Repped.

@ bredon you have quoted price range of 4500 rs but actually it cost

Fuze+

8GB - Blue - Rs.5700 shipped

8GB White / 8GB Purple -Rs.5850 Shipped

8GB Black - Rs.5975 shipped

Brendon i need you to try out something 4 me here. I have an ipod classic, the cowon s9 and the sansa clip+(all in all experienced everything out there). My prob with the sansa players is that, once i tamper with sansa eq or rockbox and play around, it no longer sounds natural. Certain iem's peak too much or even crackle up a bit. Never has that been d case with the cowon's.
I love the sansa's neutral sound quality, but i like a bit of a kick in my music which the cowon eq's easily give me whilst the sansa's have achieved the same by compromising the sound quality.

Can you put this to the test??? Play around a bit with the eq or sound settings paired with ur iem's and headphones

The Fuze+ has 2 major drawbacks compared to the old Fuze:

1.>It doesn't support RockBox firmware. On the older Fuze, the RockBox firmware is much more powerful & flexible than the original Sansa firmware

2.>It doesn't have a Line Out. On the older Fuze, you can get a Line Out via the proprietary connector.

Thanks guys. :)

This was my first mp3 player review so I am very open to suggestions to make it better. Already incorporated info on alternative players as per vegetoroxx suggestion.

vegetoroxx said:
@ bredon you have quoted price range of 4500 rs but actually it cost

Fuze+

8GB - Blue - Rs.5700 shipped

8GB White / 8GB Purple -Rs.5850 Shipped

8GB Black - Rs.5975 shipped

Nope the Fuze+ is selling for 4.5k for TE members. :)

http://www.techenclave.com/pristinenote/special-offer-sansa-fuze-8gb-4-a-189412.html

edge111hussain said:
Brendon i need you to try out something 4 me here. I have an ipod classic, the cowon s9 and the sansa clip+(all in all experienced everything out there). My prob with the sansa players is that, once i tamper with sansa eq or rockbox and play around, it no longer sounds natural. Certain iem's peak too much or even crackle up a bit. Never has that been d case with the cowon's.

I love the sansa's neutral sound quality, but i like a bit of a kick in my music which the cowon eq's easily give me whilst the sansa's have achieved the same by compromising the sound quality.

Can you put this to the test??? Play around a bit with the eq or sound settings paired with ur iem's and headphones

I agree with you completely about the EQ part. I have tried this with my friends Cowon D2+ and I came back pretty impressed with the BBE settings that enhanced the sound. The Sansa and even Ipod in comparison sounds a bit unnatural once you try some EQ. I feel all mp3 players need to have BBE.

However Cowon's SQ is not as good as the Sansa (though still very good) and it costs more. The comparable Cowon i9 sells for 6.5k (2k more than the Fuze+) for the 8 GB version and doesn't come with a micro SD card. So for those people who listen to a lot of FLAC will find themselves running out of space pretty quickly.

Here is a review of the i9 which shows severe bass roll off. NwAvGuy: Cowon i9 Review

The Sansa Clip+/Fuze has a ruler flat frequency respose from the measure 20 hz - 20 khz.

Even the more expensive S9/J3 has a severe bass rolloff after 100 hz but comes with a nice 3" screen which is great for videos.

Cowon iAudio 9 RMAA Tests (vs. Cowon S9) - Cowon iAudio 9 - abi>>forums

But for sure those who love EQ will be disappointed with the Fuze+ especially since it doesn't support Rockbox.

Gryph0n said:
The Fuze+ has 2 major drawbacks compared to the old Fuze:

1.>It doesn't support RockBox firmware. On the older Fuze, the RockBox firmware is much more powerful & flexible than the original Sansa firmware

2.>It doesn't have a Line Out. On the older Fuze, you can get a Line Out via the proprietary connector.
1. Yes I too like Rockbox (I have it on my Fuze) but frankly most of the main USPs of Rockbox - FLAC and gapless playback are supported out of the box in all Sansa players.

2. The line out is not a necessity as the audible differences between using the Fuze with a line out + amp and through the headphone out + amp is negligible compared to using an Ipod line out + amp vs Ipod headphone out + amp.

A propriety connector (unless its a very popular propriety connector like the Apple connector) is always a negative. I took my Fuze on a holiday and I forgot the cable at home. So it became completely useless once the battery died.

If I had an Apple player I could have easily borrowed a charger as there were 3 people with Ipods. Similarly if I had a Fuze+ 2 people had phones having a micro USB connector so I would have again survived.

CeDrIc said:
Comparing this with Ipod Touch in terms of sound quality, which is better?
Thats a good question and while earlier I would have said Sansa Fuze+ without reservation I cannot do that anymore.

Apple has really upgraded the hardware in the Touch so much so that its better than the Clip in a few tests. Honestly I can say thats its probably as good as the Fuze/Fuze+/Clip+.

However it does cost 3 times as much. :p

Here is a review with measurements for the Clip+ and Ipod Touch

NwAvGuy: iPod Touch

(Note this doesn't mean the Ipod Classic and Ipod Nano are as good as the Touch. They have different hardware and I haven't studied the measurements of either.).

^^^
ipods do have a unique hardware upgrade process. Not necessarily that every new generation performs better than the previous 1.
Incase of the itouch, every new generation has been better than the old 1. But for eg with the iclassics, the ipod 5th gen 80gb sound quality is far superior than the ipod classic 80 gig which i have which is an upgrade to the ipod 5th gen.

Yes i know that there is a difference between the prices of sansa products and ipods, but the sheer UI experience of an apple or even cowon for that matter is so superior to the sansa's, that i feel its a factor that should influence one's buying decision.

I might agree with the i9 comment you made cause i haven't tried it out personally, but i completely disagree when it comes to the s9/j3. When it comes to the sheer experience of enjoying every genre of music vis a vis your choice of SS(eq, bass/treble modifications etc as per choice), i feel the cowons kinda dominate everything out there. My point is based on modifying the ss as per one's personal taste and not based on the neutral flat default sound that the player offer's. (Would like to point here that im not at all qualified to spead abt flat neutral sound cause i hate that SS and need my SS to be bright and with bass).

Anyways if possible, i'd like to see a review amongst players in terms of similar sound settings and the response post that. Not sure how that would be possible, but i think that would give us all a very clear picture of which player performs better in each type of SS.... Am i asking for too much??? :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ps: fuze+ sells for 4.5k @ lamington road since quiet sometime. Think a yr back i had posted the same in an older thread too. Not sure about warranty though

If I can offer my opinions (hope BF1983 does not mind :p)

@BF1983,

Excellent review, BTW.

• I am not sure you tried this - but what is the max size of album art it supports? And does it support folder.jpg / cover.jpg or just embedded?
  • Does it have more power output compared to Clip+? I don't think Sansa releases output power measurements. May be you can try one of your dynamics and one of the BAs and compare the corresponding volume levels?
@others
Cowon is an altogether different case of EQ. BBE is proprietary and is a licensed technology. One of the reasons why BBE works so flawlessly is that it works at the hardware level. Rest of the EQs are 'firmware / software' level which is kind of one layer removed, so not as effective. Rockbox EQ is well implemented compared to the Sansa EQ, so if Sansa has not done any improvement in that department since Clip+, I'd say it is as good as useless.

iPod Touch, despite it's annoying iTunes thing is actually very flat in response. Cowon's bass roll-off on the other hand is a "feature" according to them. Why would cutting off a part of the spectrum qualifies as a "feature" is beyond me. But then, Cowon is still releasing upgrade to D2 with a resistive touch screen, so not all of what they do makes sense.

As far as Rockbox support for Fuze+ goes, it shouldn't be long before we see one.

The difference between Line out of Fuze and Headphone out is very marginal - about 5% if you use the right components. The rest of the upgrade in SQ is largely amplification and placebo. With iPod, it's different as it uses a crappy amplifier (at least in the older versions), so bypassing it gives you better SQ. However, I am not sure how much LOD makes sense with iPod Touch 4 / iPhone 4.

@Edge111hussain - Yes I was also a user of the Ipod Classic 6G after I used my friends Ipod Classic 5G and liked it. :(

That I was disappointed with the SQ was an understatement !!!

Its very difficult to objectively compare mp3 players since each manufacturer adds 'some' colouration to the sound. So if we also add EQ to the mix we are going to get highly subjective responses.

However while I too like Cowons SQ I am surprised that you actually like the UI of most Cowon players. I have used the D2+ and one I9 and none of them were particularly nice to use. Apple Ipods (Classic, Touch and even Nano) were far far easier compared to any of the Cowons I have used. Maybe the S9 and J3 have better UI as I haven't used them.

The Lamington road Fuze+ probably don't have any warranty to speak off since Sansa doesn't officially sell players in India.

@Esantosh - Why would I mind another persons info ? :)

To your 2 queries I haven't checked on the first one and I cannot as I gave back the loaner sample.

To the second one I did compare with the Fuze and output levels are very similar. I don't have a Clip+ on hand so I couldn't compare it to that.

I hope the Rockbox team finishes work on the Fuze+ soon as I can see that they are indeed trying to work out a port.

SansaFuzePlusPort < Main < Wiki

However judging by the current status I wouldn't hold me breath on the port becoming ready for some time at least. :p

BTW how does the BBE sound on your Nationite N2 ?

BBE works well on Nanite N2. The output SPL levels are low with BBE off, but gets very loud with BBE on. I have not got down to comparing Cowon S9 and N2's BBE outputs side by side as N2 has become a consistent burn-in source rather than as a player.

Brendon, by UI i meant comparing the experience one gets out of a ipod/cowon s9 to that of a sansa player. I feel the ipod in this aspect is way ahead of anyone out there. D next in line though is the cowon for really, there is nothing worth not liking in the s9/j3 ui apart from th playlist feature prolly.

The bass rolloff probably gets compensated by the eq's when in use for i have really not noticed. Look we all know that the cowons r all abt their eq's. when u r buying a cowon, one knows ur picking it for the BBE SS's else im sure there r better options at lower price points for flat neutral sound. Hence i do feel that this alone makes it almost impossible to compare say a cowon to a fuze or even an ipod.

I have ordered line out cables for the sp and d ipod classic to compare the SS then via amps. Will lend ya my s9 if u wanna test it with ur amps. i currently just own a e7. (by line out i mean by usb for cowon and thru the apple pin to amp).

Also can some share light if its possible or if there r cables which connect to the e7's line in(same line in which connects pc usb to the e7) and whether this will work???

Brendon, thanks for your review on Sansa Fuze+. The links provided on Rockbox was nice, I didnt know that they have already have finished some work on Fuze+. SanDisk unlike others do not do aggressive marketing for its MP3 player. I would also like to share Fuze+ has a battery life better than Fuze by about 4 to 5 hours. This is not mentioned in Specs, however these are my personal observations, I have a 16GB Model in Fuze+ and 8GB in Fuze. I had also felt that Fuze has a better bass authority over the Clip+. However I had not checked it against Fuze+. I would look forward to other Fuze+ owners to share their views on the same.

I am also glad the Fuze+ has finally done with the proprietary data cable. The Micro SD cable is a positive change! We used to get lot of mails from owners of Old Fuze requesting for the data cable as it was not easily available. The Micro SD Data cable and charger is available at most mobile shops.

Also the speed downloading music on the players is Class 6.

Great Review!

Disclaimer: We are the Dealers for SanDisk Sansa Products.

edge111hussain said:
I have ordered line out cables for the sp and d ipod classic to compare the SS then via amps. Will lend ya my s9 if u wanna test it with ur amps. i currently just own a e7. (by line out i mean by usb for cowon and thru the apple pin to amp).

Also can some share light if its possible or if there r cables which connect to the e7's line in(same line in which connects pc usb to the e7) and whether this will work???
Hey Im game. :)

Never really tested any player's line out other than my old Ipod Classic 6G so I was wondering how its going to sound with the S9.

Not sure what you mean about a Line in for the E7. The E7 doesn't have a ADC so the input has to be via a PC.

Some amps have an optical in (Ibasso D10) which allows you to connect your mp3 to let the D10 act as a DAC. However I don't think thats possible with the E7.

Back