Budget 0-20k Reviving old PC for pg use

RajatK

Recruit
  1. What is your budget?
    • 10K - 15k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i5 3470
    • Motherboard - Asus lga 1155
    • GPU - none
    • RAM - 4x1 Gb
    • Monitor - Asus 1080p 60hz
    • PSU - 300W no idea about brand
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model) All of above
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement
    • Ram - 4Gb
    • GPU - GTX 1060 or rx 570 ( will 1070 bottleneck too much?)
    • PSU - 400 watt
    • SSD - bx500 500gb
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final Config
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bengaluru
    • TE Dealer
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Dota 2 (90 % of time.)
    • FPS - Apex Legends (rarely)
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1980x1080
    2. Desktop - 1980x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

I already have decent gaming PC at home. (Can't take it to pg as it is being used at home)
I want to spend as low as possible on this as this is a dead end machine in terms of future proofing.
I just need it run dota 2 , anything else is a bonus.

Basically what Vaibhav said. If going with X70 class GPU then have 550W PSU minimum (does not apply to current gen hardware).
Get 16GB RAM, you'll need it for today. If you strictly cannot then highly advise to buy a 8GB stick and make 12GB max. You can buy another 8GB and replace your current 4GB stick later when you feel the need to.

DOTA2 will work with even a 1050ti (no PSU upgrade needed) or 6GB 1060 (don't get a 3GB one as it'll be useless for anything else). X70 is overkill for DOTA.

If you absolutely want to spend the bare minimum then get a 8GB ram & your total should bump up to 12gb, I would have suggested for 8GB only if it was DDR4 but since its not you'll need more RAM. For the GPU, if DOTA 2 is your only requirement, then in fairness you could even get a 750ti. This video shows 750ti benchmarks in DOTA 2 in 1080p. And then in that case you won't need to upgrade your PSU & your total cost would be around 5k max. You should note that this is the absolute lowest upgrades & best to not expect any 'future proofing'.

Back