CPU/Mobo RIG for CAD/CAM/3DAnimation

A friend who needs a pc for practicing cad/cam/3d anim. On a limited budget of 30k. thinking of amd 5600+ with asus m/b with onboard quadro. the question here is here is onboard Quadro or 8600gt/2600xt which one is better for the above mentioned purpose.

ur inputs will b greatly appreciated.

P.s. Gaming will b Nill.

Which application exactly?

2600XT modded to FireGL is the best solution for most CAD uses...

Its blazingly fast in Maya except that it has some poly selection bugs in very hi-poly scenes...still modded 2600XT on avg will have twice the perfomance of QuadroFX1500...But yes the poly selection issue on objects higher than 2L poly is annoying...

kippu said:
quadro is so overrated!

No....Its overpriced! Not overrated all that much if you work in production scenario...

If you want proof try this:

Load hand1.ma from the specapc Maya suite into Maya using 8800GTX and FireGL V5600/QuadroFX1500/Modded FireGL and check the frame rates while panning...

8800GTX pawned and packed :rofl:

hes talking abt cad/cam and 3d.... not character animation i am sure ...so in that scenario , quadro doesnt help much..

kippu said:
hes talking abt cad/cam and 3d.... not character animation i am sure ...so in that scenario , quadro doesnt help much..

He did mention 3danimation in the thread title.

If he has anyth to do with UG/Catia then a Quadro/Fire/softmodded FireGL would be crucial

@vij Thanks for the expertise

I am very much familiar with ur wonderful thread about tht softmod but as the enduser is very novice forget tryin he doesnt even know nething about modding.

so in tht scenario which one wud b the best of the three onboard QuadroNvs 210 or2600XT or 8600GT

A quadro is not that bad if it is onboard like the Asus M2NBP-VM CSM... then you reallly save a bundle over a seperate GPU setup, however for higher end/intense CAD work a Sofmodded FireGL would be a no brainer

rocky_jvm said:
@vij Thanks for the expertise

I am very much familiar with ur wonderful thread about tht softmod but as the enduser is very novice forget tryin he doesnt even know nething about modding.
so in tht scenario which one wud b the best of the three onboard QuadroNvs 210 or2600XT or 8600GT

1. Avoid anything thats called NVS in the Quadro series
2. The mod from 2600XT to FireGL V5600 is a softmod and is just a driver install...nothing more...

Even a 2900pro can be soft modded to be a 7xxx firegl card. which doesnt have poly selection problems.

besides go for a quaddy and 4 gigs of ram as they also play a crucial role if u gonna do animation and rendering. get a mobo with solid capacitors and good cooling solution for added stability, if the budget allows get a TRUE. u'll be all safe and sound.

memnom said:
Even a 2900pro can be soft modded to be a 7xxx firegl card. which doesnt have poly selection problems.

besides go for a quaddy and 4 gigs of ram as they also play a crucial role if u gonna do animation and rendering. get a mobo with solid capacitors and good cooling solution for added stability, if the budget allows get a TRUE. u'll be all safe and sound.

Are you sure modded 2900PRO to FireGL V8600 does not have Maya poly selection issues. In my view its a driver issue and so should be prevalent in the whole series. Iam waiting for driver updates and then hope somebody does a mod on those corrected drivers.

I think a lot of it depends on the kind of application one uses it for. The 'Graphics' world has so many different apps, purposes, and functions that there really is no single size fits all to it.

spynic said:
im currently using my 8600GT for CAD/CAM.... doesnt matter much as of now... works pretty well

ATI 2600XT even when unmodded is better than 8600GT across all CAD/CAM applications period.

Back