Rig overhaul : 35k (In Hyd)

DavyJones

Disciple
Hi guys,

1st question : I'm going to visit hyd in 2 days, My beloved CRT monitor ( Samsung 798mb ) finally stopped working. So i need a new monitor. I'm working in the animation field so unfortunately my options are limited to monitors based on IPS panel. My budget for monitor is 15k max. The models that i shortlisted are Dell U2311H, Dell U2312HM ( i don't know if it's available in hyd ) & Asus PA238Q. So please suggest a shop in hyd where i can get one of these monitors at cheap rate?.

2nd question: I'm planning to upgrade my CPU, Mobo, Graphics card, Ram & PSU. I use my PC mainly for running applications like 3dsmax, Maya & Softimage. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking abt going with Intel ( i5 2400 & DH67BLB3 ) b'coz i have no idea when AMD will launch their new processor range :D . So is Intel a better choice for running 3D applications??. Now a noob question. the earlier versions of intel motherboard that i mentioned above have some problems, so i know i need to buy the B3 version. Is it imprinted on the intel motherboard itself that it's a B3 version?? ( it's just that I don't want to buy the older version ).

3rd question: Suggest me a graphics card around 3000-3500 range and a 400w PSU

That's it. Thnx a lot for ur support

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Okay for your monitor query, get it from SMC International, Delhi [they are distributors in India I think], they ship the Dell Ultrasharp U2311H for free -- Dell UltraSharp U2311H.

Also for the rest of your PC queries, use this template [fill it up an re-post in this thread] -- http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/template-what-should-i-buy-use-143714.html.

Hope this helped. Sire.
Thnx for your reply. I checked the link you provided to the smc site . but when i checked it in the afternoon the price quoted was 13,750. now the price is 14,100 :(. anyway i always try to buy hardware stuff in the old fashioned way, so that's why i asked if it's available in any shops in CTC, hyd.
Now i will try to fill up the template

Q: What is your budget?
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Amd 3200
Motherboard - A cheap mobo, I think the brand name is eSys ( the reason for that cheap mobo is written below, it's a sad sad story )
GPU - Nvidia PCI express card
RAM - IGB DDR1
Monitor - Samsung 798mb
SMPS - I guess it's a product frm iball :D
Hard disk - Seagate 500GB
Optical Drive - LG DVD RW

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
SHard disk - Seagate 500GB
Optical Drive - LG DVD RW

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Monitor - Dell U2312HM ( if it's available ), or Dell U2311H
CPU - Intel i5 2400
Motherboard - Intel DH67BL(B3)
GPU - Any Nvidia or Ati card around 3000k
SMPS - Looking for a 400w PSU
Ram - Corsair 4GB DDR3

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No, I'm not planning to upgrade in near future

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Hyderabad ( pls suggest a good shop )
I don't prefer online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Running 3D applications like 3dsmax, Maya & Softimage
Watching Movies
Gaming
Browsing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
"Do not want to buy Asus product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic".
I found the above written sentence in the template and i completely agree with it. I used to have an A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard, Just months after my warranty is finished it suddenly stopped working. I took it to the authorised dealer in Trivandrum which is the rashi peripherals. They only took the mobo & not the processor. After two days they told me that mobo is working fine. the problem is with the processor. I pleaded with them to test my processor with any of their motherboards. But they refused and after searching everywhere i got an amd 4000+ processor from bangalore ( at that time AMD stopped making the 939 processors & Asus also stopped manufacturing the 939 motherboards, So it was very difficult to get it). But before it reached kerala i got another 939 motherboard to test my existing processor and it was working just fine. So i again took my mobo to rashi and this time after one week they said that the problem is with the mobo and it cannot be rectified. From that day onward i hate the word " ASUS " & " RASHI " . And the AMD 4000+ i purchased from bangalore is still lying in my shelf like a virgin who never touched a motherboard ( I Can place it my existing rig if i want to, but i decided not to because i want to remember the incident whenever i see that processor :D )

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Not decided yet

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1280x728
Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

^^

I'll suggest you go to Shweta Peripherals, they are the same guys I purchased my current RIG from, as for the configuration in itself --

Core i3 2100 ~ 5500/- OR Core i5 2400 ~ 8800/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5200/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 1 1600MHz ~ 1550/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB / 1TB ~ 2900/- OR 1900/-

Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2200/-

Cooler Master eLite 370 ~ 1900/- + 2 x 120mm fans ~ 450/- [to setup an airflow]

LG OEM optical drive ~ 1000/-

Dell U2311H ~ 14000/-

APC BR-650VA-IN ~ 2600/-

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit copy -- Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 7, Buy Windows 7 Online at Microsoft Store, get the legit copy its worth it.

Altec Lansing BXR 1221 ~ 1100/-

Hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

Add a graphics card later, nVidia GTX 550 Ti ~ 7700/- to accelerate GPU related tasks. Else get the Core i3 processor and this card.

quick update: Came back from hyd. Got U2312HM while searching for U2311H in CTC. It cost around 14,450. And also bought corsair cx 430w for 2450. I didn't bought any other components b'coz they were quoting high prices for the processor & mobo (9500 & 4950) and they were not willing to come down. I can get those items a little bit cheaper in kerala (9150 & 4750 ). I decided to change the motherboard that i selected and the 3 mobo's that i shortlisted are Intel DZ68ZV, DZ68BC & Gigabite Z68XP-UD3. the two intel mobo's are too difficult to get so i guess i will have to settle for the Gigabite mobo.

Thnx ALPHA17 for your support but GTX 550 Ti is way over my budget dude. At this point my budget for graphics card is 5000-5500 max( suggest one around that price ). will update after i get the rest of the items

^^ Sire, why are you going for the Z68 chipset, as you are not over-clocking no point spending extra in that direction, the Intel DH67-BL board should be available most places and at respectable rates. It has got good coverage here and is worth it. Cheers!!

I said you can add the graphics card a little later -- like say 1 --2 months.

Thanks again ALPHA17 for your reply. but just a quick question. the DH67BL board supports only 1333MHz Ram speed. So if i buy a ram with 1600MHz speed will it be compatible on that board???. I'm planning to buy 8GB Corsair ram (4x2) and most of the stock available in my city has a speed of 1600MHz. That's why i decided to change the board. And i decided to buy i5 2500 instead of i5 2400, so i thought maybe DH67BL board will not be enough to utilize the full capacity of the i5 processor. If DH67BL is a good enough for i5 2500 then i guess i can buy the GTX 550 Ti. Pls reply

The intel DH67BL can even take a i7 so a i5 2500 is great for the same, the only exception for the intel DH67BL board is that if you are going with a K series processor then its not a good idea, else no problems with any of the Core i processors yep again RAM frequency only till 1333Mhz.

Again if you are not planning to go with a K processor i.e overclocking then the intel boards are pretty good and preferred option, I made a tons of machines and in my experinece with the so called premium boards over the 10 years of making custom computer builds have every premium MB brand has failed once but not the intel boards, I still have a old machine that is over 7-8 years old running on a intel board.

DavyJones said:
Thanks again ALPHA17 for your reply. but just a quick question. the DH67BL board supports only 1333MHz Ram speed. So if i buy a ram with 1600MHz speed will it be compatible on that board???. I'm planning to buy 8GB Corsair ram (4x2) and most of the stock available in my city has a speed of 1600MHz. That's why i decided to change the board. And i decided to buy i5 2500 instead of i5 2400, so i thought maybe DH67BL board will not be enough to utilize the full capacity of the i5 processor. If DH67BL is a good enough for i5 2500 then i guess i can buy the GTX 550 Ti. Pls reply

Go ahead, the RAM will roll-back to 1333 MHz speeds and should work flawlessly also, also the H67 chipset is a great piece of work and can support all processors upto the current i7 2600 and also the up-coming Sandy-Bridge E in November, so breath easy and go ahead with your purchase. Cheers!!

update: the sudden increase in the value of dollar is really affecting the prices of computers peripherals. anyway got a few items

Intel i5 2500 = 10600 +tax ( 10,250 was the price last week :( )

Intel DH67CL-B3 = 4900+tax ( dh67bl was not available anywhere in my city :( )

MSI GTX 550 Ti Cyclone II = 7749+tax

Corsair 4GB Ram = 1200+tax

Now i'm looking for NZXT gamma but unfortunately it's almost impossible to get it in kerala, but i'm still trying. One more question. I'm planning to buy a new UPS. I'm confused between APC 650VA or APC 600VA. there's a price difference of thousand rupees. which one should i choose???

I am a new member and not sure whether this thread is still open... and it seems the original thread was resolved. So, i am planning to ask a quick question here. I couldnt find an option to start a new thread....

I am looking for a 23-24 inch monitor for my gaming setup....I already got Dell Alienware AW2310.... 120Hz.... and I am really planning to try an IPS panel....I need a HDMI monitor because I got a PS3 and XBOX 360. I don't like routing through HDMI-DVI converters because i have to route Audio differently. Also, I have to remove my PC DVI connection to connect my consoles and there are no cheap DVI switchers available. Dell AW2310 has one HDMI, but I use a 250/- HDMI switch which is working marvelously, so 1 HDMI port is enough.

After lot of searching, only 2 monitors meet my reqs: Asus PA238Q, Dell U2410 (U2311* dont have HDMI ports unfortunately). only differences between these are (LED vs CCFL, 23 vs 24 (duh), 1080p vs 1200p, p-IPS vs H-IPS)...p-IPS is just a variant of H-IPS...

At ITdepot, Dell U2410 is 20k, and my local mumbai dealer gave me 17.6 K for Asus PA238Q....Both seems to be good monitors. I am not sure which one to go with.....I am not really worried about 3K diff...

what do you guys think? I tried the Internet and the big G.. I couldnt find any definitive comparsions between these two monitors. All comparisons are between U2311* and PA238Q. U2311 doesnt use the same panel as U2410 unfortunately. So, I cannot use these comparisons as a base.

Back