User Review ROCCAT Kone XTD Review

Introduction

When you start looking for a high-end peripheral you expect to see a few things in exchange for your investment. The most important one I can think of will be performance, along with style, functionality, features and of course all these combined just justify a good chunk of value for money.ROCCAT has a great reputation for style in their gaming peripherals, utilizing an aesthetic flair rarely seen in competitors but running throughout their range. This German peripheral manufacturer ROCCAT recently upgraded its gaming mouse line-up with the release of the Kone XTD.

So Today we’re looking at the maximum Customization mouse Roccat Kone XTD. Below are some Special Features and Specifications of Roccat Kone XTD.

Features & Specifications

• FULLY-ADJUSTBALE 8200DPI PRO-OPTIC (R3) SENSOR
  • ROCCATâ„¢ CLICK MASTER
  • EASY-SHIFT [+] â„¢ BUTTON DUPLICATOR
  • 32-BIT TURBO CORE V2 PROCESSOR
  • TRACKING & DISTANCE CONTROL UNIT
  • 576KB ON-BOARD MEMORY
  • 4-LED LIGHT SYSTEM
  • 8 MOUSE BUTTONS + SOLID 4D WHEEL
  • 4 EASY-TO-CLIP-IN WEIGHTS (4 X 5G)
  • ROCCATâ„¢DRIVER + MACRO MANAGER
  • ROCCATâ„¢ ACHIEVEMENTS DISPLAY

Additional Sensor and Connectivity Specs:

• Pro-Aim Laser Sensor R3 with up to 8200dpi
  • 12000fps, 10.8megapixel
  • 30G acceleration
  • 3.8m/s (150ips)
  • 16-bit data channel
  • 1-5mm Lift off distance

Processing Hardware

• Tracking & Distance Control Unit
  • 72MHz Turbo Core V2 32-bit Arm based MCU
  • 576kB on-board memory
  • Zero angle snapping/prediction

USB 2.0

• 1000Hz polling rate
  • 1ms response time
  • 1.8m braided USB cable

Packing and Accessories

From the front of the box we see that the Kone XTD comes in a really slick looking package with a fantastic image of the mouse as well as a run down of some of it’s major features. We have a 8200DPI laser, Easy-Shift+, Multi-Colour lighting and TDCU Ultimate tracking on the left hand side of the box, as well as some labled icons in the bottom right for the pro aim senson, integrated TDCU, 4 LEd light system, drivers & macros, weight system and Roccat talk.

On the reverse side we can see yet more detail of the mouse's functionality including button placement, braided cable and processor, whilst still dedicating plenty of room to the less visible features. Each of the nine major selling points are listed with a short explanation, spelling out exactly what to expect when you purchase this particular Kone. The feature list is also repeated in nine additional languages, which should help in multi-lingual regions of the world.

The box also folds out to give us a great view of the mouse its self, as well as even more details on the features and design of the Kone XTD.

In the box I found a straight forward multi-language setup guide as well as a small box containing four 5g weights.

The Kone XTD package includes four additional 5g weights, and ROCCAT has thankfully included a small case to store them when not in use. Also in the package is a quick installation guide, but interestingly no driver CD.

Closer Look

First impressions of the Kone XTD are good, the overall style looks fantastic and the ergonomics look promising. The black finish with the silver logo detailed over the body of the mouse really makes it stand out from the crowd.

The XTD is a right handed mouse, with the buttons solely on the left hand side. By default the front button is defined as 'forward' and the back button is the Easy Shift [+] button which modifies all the other buttons. Although the right hand side is free from buttons it still has a noticeable concave element to it.

Down the left side we see a nice recess area on the left which also features the “Roccat Kone XTD” logo on the bottom left.

The front end is, rightfully, where the majority of the action is. From the top to the bottom we have DPI adjustment down, up, a four-way scroll wheel, and the Windows key. Of course they can be adjusted to perform any function you desire, as you would expect from a product labelled as "Max Customisation".

Underneath the Kone XTD we can see the sensor - the laser 8200DPI Pro-Aim Sensor R3 - and a small storage compartment for the four additional 5g weights, which is rotated to open when the triangles line up. A substantial portion of the mouse floor is taken up by three teflon pads, designed to allow a smooth motion over any mousing surface.

The mouse USB cord is a lightweight braided cable with a particularly narrow connector. The braiding appears to be good quality.

Finally we have a dual set of light strips with four multi-color LED’s (one in each corner). The lighting effect looks fantastic as it shifts and changes and is fully customisable through the included software.

Software

The included software is very robust in terms of customization, it’s also really well laid out and gives you clear and easy to adjust the options. This first page allows for full customization of the DPI switch settings, so no reason why can dial in your perfect sensitivity to match your gaming surface and personal preferences.

The next tab is one for Button Assignment, and is split between two mouse states: normal and with Easy-Shift [+] active. Here you can assign a huge number of default Windows functions to your mouse such as Browser Forward/Back, Volume Up/Down, Windows key etc., or you can create your own Macro's and assign them individually. EasyAim can also be bound to a button in this utility through the same process.

The customization doesn’t end there either, with further sensitivity, tracking, distant, sound feedback and pointer speed settings still left for you to tweak.

For those that love the visual more than the technical there is also a competent set of LED customization options with plenty of vivid colours to choose from, light effects and colour flow patterns to add a bit of visual flair to the mouses already slick styling.

R.A.D., or ROCCAT Achievement Display, tracks the usage statistics of the mouse such as distance travelled or number of clicks. Reach a set number and you get an achievement. The idea is that they're cool metrics and serve as an entry into the Roccat World social hub.

Performance and conclusion

Testing an input device is simple, all one needs to do is use it, unfortunately there are no quantitative benchmarks to run, no numbers to compare, and no software used that can test the quality of the hardware. Testing an input device like the Roccat KONE XTD Performance Gaming Mouse is going to be based around personal opinion and preference. In this section I will present my unbiased opinion with regards to the use and operation of the Roccat KONE XTD. Your mileage may vary slightly and as such this should be taken as a guide only.

Test Setup

• AMD BULLDOZER FX 8120
• ASROCK 990FX EXTREME 4
• CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 2133CL9
• CORSAIR FORCE 3 60GB SSD
• ZALMAN HD7870 TURBO
• COOLER MASTER TPC-812
• SEASONIC PLATINUM 1000W

Test Software

• Adobe Photoshop
  • Google Chrome and Firefox
  • Hitman Absolution/Battlefield 3

Using the Roccat KONE XTD on its highest sensitivity (8200 DPI) for the first time was like starting all over again, the cursor just ran away from me as I fumbled around trying to find it on the screen. Suffice to say there is a definite adjustment period for getting used to this sensitivity, and I think that it will only really serve as an added edge in professional /competitive gaming where every little advantage will count. I think that the KONE XTD was just about the right size and weight to suit my preference.

In the button configurations there is a function called EasyAim, what this does is allow you to assign a different DPI setting to a mouse button that is only active while you hold the selected button down. In my case I used my lowest setting of 800dpi assigned to the EasyAim button, this is really effective for sniping or vehicle control and also really useful for precise movements during image editing in Photoshop.

After playing few games like battlefield 3 and Hitman absolution my initial impressions of the Kone XTD were impressive to say the least. The range of the DPI is simply stunning and easy to manipulate mid game, perfect for keeping a steady aim on a sniper rifle in Battlefield 3 .

The ROCCAT Kone XTD is a very good mouse optimized for gaming with excellent software support backing it up. Gamers currently use budget mice should find it a considerable step up in functionality and quality. The customisation options are very good without quite being market leading.

The Good

• Excellent software
  • Cool lighting effects
  • Omron Switch Technology
  • 8 Programmable buttons and 4-D scroll wheel
  • Precise sensor

The Bad

• Hard-to-reach button below scroll wheel

Specially Thanks to Tirupati Enterprises For providing the review Sample.

Also in the package is a quick installation guide, but interestingly no driver CD.

Been quite some time since mice stopped shipping with their driver discs. Only Razer persists with the practise but need to verify.

First impressions of the Kone XTD are good, the overall style looks fantastic and the ergonomics look promising. The black finish with the silver logo detailed over the body of the mouse really makes it stand out from the crowd.

You say the ergonomics are promising? Care to further enunciate.

From the pictures I see the mouse is limited to right-handed players. You have not mentioned the grip type this mouse is suited for.

Although the right hand side is free from buttons it still has a noticeable concave element to it.

The concave element is carried over from a much older competing design that emerged long before Roccat had started as company.

logitech-mx518-gaming-mouse.jpg

The mouse USB cord is a lightweight braided cable with a particularly narrow connector. The braiding appears to be good quality.

With respect to?

R.A.D., or ROCCAT Achievement Display, tracks the usage statistics of the mouse such as distance travelled or number of clicks. Reach a set number and you get an achievement. The idea is that they're cool metrics and serve as an entry into the Roccat World social hub.

And as such don't affect you OR anyone around you unless they have a Roccat mouse and are bonkers about a small 64 x64 'Achievement' PNG. Doesn't provide any gaming related improvement OR serve a particular purpose apart from selling the product to gullible folk.

For further understanding, watch this --

Testing an input device is simple, all one needs to do is use it, unfortunately there are no quantitative benchmarks to run, no numbers to compare, and no software used that can test the quality of the hardware. Testing an input device like the Roccat KONE XTD Performance Gaming Mouse is going to be based around personal opinion and preference. In this section I will present my unbiased opinion with regards to the use and operation of the Roccat KONE XTD. Your mileage may vary slightly and as such this should be taken as a guide only.

Using the Roccat KONE XTD on its highest sensitivity (8200 DPI) for the first time was like starting all over again, the cursor just ran away from me as I fumbled around trying to find it on the screen. Suffice to say there is a definite adjustment period for getting used to this sensitivity, and I think that it will only really serve as an added edge in professional /competitive gaming where every little advantage will count. I think that the KONE XTD was just about the right size and weight to suit my preference.

Why put up a review if you yourself think the user experience has not been successfully disseminated to your readers.

Still no mention of Grip-type. What is the default weight of the mouse?

The ROCCAT Kone XTD is a very good mouse optimized for gaming with excellent software support backing it up. Gamers currently use budget mice should find it a considerable step up in functionality and quality. The customisation options are very good without quite being market leading.

What is your point of reference for software support?

Gamers will use whatever they are comfortable with, even if it is cheap Logitech optical mice. All depends on the comfort zone.

What are you comparing the customization options with? Roccat's higher end mice OR the R.A.T. series?

• Excellent software -- W.r.t.?
  • Cool lighting effects -- Okay
  • Omron Switch Technology -- Are all switches Omron OR only the main buttons?
  • 8 Programmable buttons and 4-D scroll wheel -- Okay
  • Precise sensor -- W.r.t.?
No mention of the price either OR availability, a simple flipkart link would be enough. =|

Back