Android ROG Phone 5 ........ Maybe an underrated gem

Hey Everyone, I think ROG phone 5 fulfils a lot of things enthusiasts want but probably doesnt get the recognition for it. I dont have the phone so I am going off of reviews and specs. It has a big battery, headphone jack, awesome dac and amp, Adequate camera and high refresh rate display. Maybe the screen resolution and camera q

Asus makes great phones, case in point Rog5 and Zenfone8. Sadly they didn't release the latter yet in India. Just sad.

Hey Everyone, I think ROG phone 5 fulfils a lot of things enthusiasts want but probably doesnt get the recognition for it. I dont have the phone so I am going off of reviews and specs. It has a big battery, headphone jack, awesome dac and amp, Adequate camera and high refresh rate display. Maybe the screen resolution and camera q
Camera leaves a lot more to be desired, tbh compared to the flagships.
The performance, definitely is top class - I had used ROG 3 and loved it - however the camera was underwhelming and meh!

The battery life was also inferior to what was expected.

Camera leaves a lot more to be desired, tbh compared to the flagships.
The performance, definitely is top class - I had used ROG 3 and loved it - however the camera was underwhelming and meh!

The battery life was also inferior to what was expected.
Yes, the phone isn't very underrated considering its price.
Zenfone 8 is an enthusiasts phone, but I fear that by the time asus releases it in India there will be discounts on s20 fe 5g, maybe even a s21 fe. Mi keeps releasing something every month. Do these companies(moto, asus) not have market analysts who can tell when is a good time to release a phone in a market such as India's?
The phones like poco f1, earlier one plus have shown that good phones are possible at very affordable prices. Samsung has also upped its game in software, also there 9611 chip is great in 12k-15k segment. Motorola, idk. There software support is garbage. Hardware isn't that good to go for moto upwards of 25k. Mi is also getting better. One plus is a gonner. They went from flagship killer to flagship and soon will go to oppo with one plus sticker(they already have, I guess more people will be aware of it).

Last edited:
Yes, the phone isn't very underrated considering its price.
precisely, at 50-60k it has its limitations and for a little less you could buy something as good, or for a little more something far better.

that said, their devices are pretty good, however with a lack of overall acceptance for the brand among the large public, lack of service centers etc etc is a slight downside.

most of us are in awe of the Zenfone 8, but by the time they're releasing the device in idea, it'll already be a year old tech, and unless they price it close to 30k (sounds impossible), it'll be better they not release it at all !

precisely, at 50-60k it has its limitations and for a little less you could buy something as good, or for a little more something far better.

that said, their devices are pretty good, however with a lack of overall acceptance for the brand among the large public, lack of service centers etc etc is a slight downside.

most of us are in awe of the Zenfone 8, but by the time they're releasing the device in idea, it'll already be a year old tech, and unless they price it close to 30k (sounds impossible), it'll be better they not release it at all !
If they release it at 30k, I will buy 2 of it(not much, but I'm poor). They will launch it near 40k, cause there are other sd 888 at that price. I hope they launch it this month because Diwali sales will make market very tough for asus. Definitely, being old tech won't matter much as I guess they allow bootloader unlocking. Also sd 888 chip is the latest we have, you have got ip68 rating, decent rear cameras.

If they release it at 30k, I will buy 2 of it(not much, but I'm poor). They will launch it near 40k, cause there are other sd 888 at that price. I hope they launch it this month because Diwali sales will make market very tough for asus. Definitely, being old tech won't matter much as I guess they allow bootloader unlocking. Also sd 888 chip is the latest we have, you have got ip68 rating, decent rear cameras.
seems like, tbh.. but they've delayed the launch a little too much imho.. should have been here already.

idk why they discontinued max pro m1 and the mid level segment they had good run but they didnt fulfill their promise on android updates ,i use max pro good phone stock android no non-sense phone

idk why they discontinued max pro m1 and the mid level segment they had good run but they didnt fulfill their promise on android updates ,i use max pro good phone stock android no non-sense phone
If it was popular enough, it might have good custom rom support. You can look into that.
seems like, tbh.. but they've delayed the launch a little too much imho.. should have been here already.
Moto did same thing with moto g100, they never released it. Now, at the end of the year they have released a phone at same price (30k) as moto g100(sd 870) with sd778g. SD778G is inferior to 870 and scores better only in battery. And, they have released at year end. Sometimes one wonders, what these companies market analysts are being paid for. Maybe they know something we don't.

Moto did same thing with moto g100, they never released it. Now, at the end of the year they have released a phone at same price (30k) as moto g100(sd 870) with sd778g. SD778G is inferior to 870 and scores better only in battery. And, they have released at year end. Sometimes one wonders, what these companies market analysts are being paid for. Maybe they know something we don't.

I guess it's more like : Among the phone buying people across all ages in india, I'd guess roughly about 15-25% would research the processor, minute details etc. Most people are obsessed only with the size of the ram, that of the storage, and whether the device then takes a memory card or not. LCD, AMOLED, ppi etc are things not a lot of people know about, researching is a wholly different territory.

As such, brands can get away with certain technical jargon in advertising and get away with it in Indian markets.

Like how a higher MP count on a camera should technically translate to a better quality, no? But most certainly for the layman it doesn't.

In terms of mobile phone cameras, 108MP and the likes are mere gimmicks and nothing much, a 12-24 MP primary lens if combined with a couple of very solid 5-12 MP secondary lenses on a mobile would be phenomenal.

A mere DSLR/Mirrorless camera is under half the battle, the lenses are what determine the entire stuff.

I guess it's more like : Among the phone buying people across all ages in india, I'd guess roughly about 15-25% would research the processor, minute details etc. Most people are obsessed only with the size of the ram, that of the storage, and whether the device then takes a memory card or not. LCD, AMOLED, ppi etc are things not a lot of people know about, researching is a wholly different territory.

As such, brands can get away with certain technical jargon in advertising and get away with it in Indian markets.

Like how a higher MP count on a camera should technically translate to a better quality, no? But most certainly for the layman it doesn't.

In terms of mobile phone cameras, 108MP and the likes are mere gimmicks and nothing much, a 12-24 MP primary lens if combined with a couple of very solid 5-12 MP secondary lenses on a mobile would be phenomenal.

A mere DSLR/Mirrorless camera is under half the battle, the lenses are what determine the entire stuff.
Very true. Very true indeed. I had a moto with 16 mp camera with good enough autofocus so pics weren't blurred most of the time. Now I have a samsung with 64 mp, bunch of cameras like ultrawide,macro and portrait and well it is nice to use them for the first time, my usecase simply doesn't require a 100 sensors. Autofocus is a mess, and since the processor isn't decent enough to process 64 mp fast enough and no ois, the pics are blurry more often than not. There is more detail, yes when you have got a place to rest the phone on which is very rare for me. That's why I wanted to buy a Zenfone 8, it has a not very decent front camera and not many sensors on rear camera but I neither desire for a front camera nor 100 sensors. But I don't know when they are going to release it.

Back