Room heater advice

Deal of the day: Bajaj Majesty RX11 2000 Watts Heat Convector Room Heater (White, ISI Approved) https://amzn.eu/d/0XeC7e7

Has anyone used this .

Need to know hows the experience for both as heater and as fan.

Thanks.
Hi @solo_wing (My 2 cents, having 18 years experience into buying and selling electrical products through my family business across 2 showrooms in Chandigarh)
This is a basic Heat Convector (also known as fan heater) Note: this is not a PTC fan heater.
Its usual price is Rs. 1200 for equivalent brands.
Con: Burns Oxygen in the air (so can cause headache)
Con: Underpowered fan
Con: Plastic body gets discolored.
Pro: Cheap if you buy such a product around Rs. 1200

Better than this is a PTC fan heater also known as Ceramic heaters. Costs more than fan heaters. PTC heater burns slightly less oxygen and is more efficient.

Best being Oil fin radiators (OFRs) for healthy and uniform room heating. They are most common across the world. Can be left running in cold nights also without any issue. Costs around Rs. 5200 or 9 fins.

Any more information, you can let me know.

Hi @solo_wing (My 2 cents, having 18 years experience into buying and selling electrical products through my family business across 2 showrooms in Chandigarh)
This is a basic Heat Convector (also known as fan heater) Note: this is not a PTC fan heater.

Better than this is a PTC fan heater also known as Ceramic heaters. Costs more than fan heaters. PTC heater burns slightly less oxygen and is more efficient.

Best being Oil fin radiators (OFRs) for healthy and uniform room heating. They are most common across the world. Can be left running in cold nights also without any issue. Costs around Rs. 5200 or 9 fins.

I am from Shimla and would prefer these, if you are not wanting to spend more.

Have both at home and been serving well for the past decade.

Fully agree. If budget constraint i recommend buying the Bajaj/Equivalent Fan heater with full metal body (as in above link) for Rs. 1000 - rs. 1200 from local shop.
Metal body fan heater has much better airflow capacity too.

If budget can be stretched PTC heaters start at around Rs. 2200 offline and Rs. 2600 online (amazon sale link: https://amzn.eu/d/8vZdugd)

Thanks for explaining in detail.
Budget is a constraint as I don't want to spent much .
My usage will be maximum an hour or 2 a day that too for just till feb-March.

Plus I need something very light weight too.

I am worried about the oxygen part but got be careful .

Thanks.
The model you suggested Bajaj one is same I ordered in features only difference is metal vs plastic.

I have read reviews and it says plastic one has hold very well too.
So both are more or less same.

Fully agree. If budget constraint i recommend buying the Bajaj/Equivalent Fan heater with full metal body (as in above link) for Rs. 1000 - rs. 1200 from local shop.
Metal body fan heater has much better airflow capacity too.

If budget can be stretched PTC heaters start at around Rs. 2200 offline and Rs. 2600 online (amazon sale link: https://amzn.eu/d/8vZdugd)
Thanks again.
I will check local shop and see if I get it at that price.
The reason I am not looking at PTC heaters are I need a fan too. I understand the fan you say is not that powerful but if it is just about decent also. It should be okay for me.

Thanks for explaining in detail.
Budget is a constraint as I don't want to spent much .
My usage will be maximum an hour or 2 a day that too for just till feb-March.

Plus I need something very light weight too.

I am worried about the oxygen part but got be careful .

Thanks.
The model you suggested Bajaj one is same I ordered in features only difference is metal vs plastic.

I have read reviews and it says plastic one has hold very well too.
So both are more or less same.

Thanks again.
I will check local shop and see if I get it at that price.
The reason I am not looking at PTC heaters are I need a fan too. I understand the fan you say is not that powerful but if it is just about decent also. It should be okay for me
Metal heater (as suggested by @Fenix) has a better fan than plastic ones. Offline price would be Rs. 1200. Go for it.

And PTC is having fan too, the price is 2200 offline-2600 online. https://amzn.eu/d/6kTHI34

Attachments

• PTC heater.jpg
    PTC heater.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 79
Metal heater (as suggested by @Fenix) has a better fan than plastic ones. Offline price would be Rs. 1200. Go for it.

And PTC is having fan too, the price is 2200 offline-2600 online. https://amzn.eu/d/6kTHI34
Already shipped bro from Amazon and I cannot find Bajaj locally here some other brands Vichtara something and Bright something.

I was thinking of going for metal one as you and fenix suggested but I wanted something light too because I travel quite a bit.

Actually I did not mention it earlier but I got Bajaj one at quite a good price Rs 1550 as it was on sale.

Hoping it will last me well and my intend of use is for very short time at most till next month end and for the fan also very few days only.

Thanks again for all the advice. Appreciate it.
I would recommend your shop to my friends in Chandigarh if you would like to share details.( PM)

This is a basic Heat Convector (also known as fan heater)
Are you saying electric room heaters burn oxygen? Fuel based heater I can understand consume oxygen for exothermic chemical reaction, but electric appliances?

The heater element in blower burns the moisture in the air around it. So when there is no moisture in the air, it feels dry due to which people feel headache. There is a workaround, keep a metal container filled with water in front of blower at about 1 foot . This workaround maintains the moisture in the air. You have to keep the blower on the ground.
Source:- My experience of running 2 kilowatt Bajaj Majesty blower for 18 hours daily in Lucknow's winters for past 4 years. Room size is 16' x 14'.

Ah headache due to dehydration I can understand - I experience it when I'm using the AC for too long, especially in the car on a hot summer day.

Didn't realize heating air would reduce (relative) humidity and cause dehydartion too.

Thanks for the tip; will try keeping an open container of water to replenish the humidity, once I get my heater.
In car, I will try a wet cloth or something.

All heaters reduce humidity. It doesn't matter if they are oil filled radiators or not. You see, humidity is inversely proportional to temperature.

I think most people misunderstand what humidity is. Humidity isn't really the amount of water vapour in the air. It's the capacity of air used to retain water vapour at the given temperature. Temperature is very important factor to calculate humidity. Hot air can hold more water vapour than cold air. It's defined in percentage.

Winters are usually dry in most of the India, on top of that, if you turn on heater, the humidity is further reduced because it's inversely proportional to temperature. Air become even drier. The literal amount of moisture in the air stays the same though. Moisture meaning water can't be burnt away as it's already a burnt material like ash.

In car, I will try a wet cloth or something.
AC is the exact definition of dehumidifier. Humidification of air using wet cloth is the exact opposite process to dehumidifier. It'll put some load on your AC. Secondly, your cloths will get bone dried before you reach your destination.

If you feel too dry in AC then you can,
1. Use Vaseline,
2. Don't set temperature too chilly,
3. Turn off recirculation.

You see, humidity is inversely proportional to temperature.
That statement in itself is incorrect as you need to refer to relative humidity.

If someone goes by the weather report, in Mumbai, for example, you will see 100% humidity at 30 degrees during monsoon and now 75% humidity at 20 degrees in winter, which will make it seem directly proportional.

There is actually no unique relationship between temperature and absolute humidity.

There is actually no unique relationship between temperature and absolute humidity.
Off-topic : I would request mods to move this

That statement in itself is incorrect as you need to refer to relative humidity.
Your statement is incorrect because normally when somebody is talking about humidity, the humidity you see on TV, the one weather department gives you, the humidity shown by Google, the humidity that is felt by your skin is always relative humidity.

Nobody talks about absolute humidity in real world. Your skin doesn't feel absolute humidity. In normal life absolute humidity is irrelevent.
If someone goes by the weather report, in Mumbai, for example, you will see 100% humidity at 30 degrees during monsoon and now 75% humidity at 20 degrees in winter, which will make it seem directly proportional.
There are other factors too. Like the actual amount of water vapour and pressure. Winter and monsoon see differences in these factors.

Talking about heater in a room, it's a closed system. The amount of water vapour or pressure not going to change. The only change is the temperature. And as humidity (again relative humidity) being inversely proportional to temperature, goes down.

Last edited:
Your statement is incorrect because normally when somebody is talking about humidity, the humidity you see on TV, the one weather department gives you, the humidity shown by Google, the humidity that is felt by your skin is always relative humidity.

Nobody talks about absolute humidity in real world. Your skin doesn't feel absolute humidity. In normal life absolute humidity is irrelevent.

There are other factors too. Like the actual amount of water vapour and pressure. Winter and monsoon see differences in these factors.

Talking about heater in a room, it's a closed system. The amount of water vapour or pressure not going to change. The only change is the temperature. And as humidity (again relative humidity) being inversely proportional to temperature, goes down.
Off-topic : I would request mods to move this

In case of weather, relative humidity is implied. However, when you define a measure, it is done in actual terms, that can be stated in units.

Relative humidity by definition is at a stated temperature, so it is of course related.

Absolute humidity on the other hand is something you measure in g/cc and if you create a graph of that with temperature in C, there is no relationship.

Yes, I am being pedantic, but your statement is incorrect in terms of the correct definition, and not what is used for convenience.

Absolute humidity on the other hand is something you measure in g/cc and if you create a graph of that with temperature in C, there is no relationship.
The link posted earlier contains the definitive equation with explanation. That pretty much closes this debate. There is nothing else left to add.

The link posted earlier contains the definitive equation with explanation. That pretty much closes this debate. There is nothing else left to add.
Yes, there is because the dictionary definition of humidity is:
Humidity is the concentration of water vapor present in the air
which doesn't have an inverse relationship to temperature.

I think most people misunderstand what humidity is. Humidity isn't really the amount of water vapour in the air. It's the capacity of air used to retain water vapour at the given temperature.
What was defined in the above statement was relative humidity, and humidity is what he said it is not.

The effect we have now is a result of how current ACs operate, though there are white papers on how they can be effectively decoupled in future ACs.

Last edited:
If absolute humidity is the vapour concentration measured in g/cc, which you appear to agree to -
Then the absolute humidity changes with temperature or pressure even though no water is added or removed, because, as the gas equation states, the volume increases with the temperature and decreases with the pressure
So both absolute and relative humidity change with any change in temperature.
I need to recall some high school physics or was it chemistry - gas laws, anyone ?!

Last edited:
I need to recall some high school physics or was it chemistry - gas laws, anyone ?!
P1 x V1 / T1 = P2 x V2 x T2 ?

Then the absolute humidity changes with temperature or pressure even though no water is added or removed, because, as the gas equation states, the volume increases with the temperature and decreases with the pressure
Hot air = less dense than cooler air. If you consider the number of molecules in say 1 cubic metre, hot air will have fewer molecules than cold air. Hence there's more space for water molecules to occupy in hot air.

Put another way, hot air can "absorb" more moisture, but unless you add that extra moisture, the net effect is that heating causes air to become drier.

Both coastal areas and desert areas have hot air. However one has a high humidity while other has low humidity, depending on local source of water to evaporate. And both feel uncomfortable.

Yes, I am being pedantic.
We can agree on that. :)

but your statement is incorrect in terms of the correct definition
I'm sorry I didn't lookup the correct scientific defination. My defination was practical and understandable in real world. And I'll still explain it like that in future because it makes sense.

I would still reiterate that humidity == relative humidity. It's defined in %. I have not seen anyone or weather department mentioning humidity in g/cc. I didn't even know humidity could be defined like that until you guys mentioned about it.

---
Talking about a closed system like heater in a room, here's my very simple bottom-line for humidity. Let's say your room's air has 2 liters water worth vapour in it. Now depending upon the room temperature you'll feel different humidity. If the temperature gets low enough, you'll have hard time drying the cloths because air's capacity to hold water vapour is reduced. If temperature is dropped below a certain threshold called dew point, the humidity reaches 100% and air can't hold any more water vapour in it. Moreover it'll turn extra vapour, which it can't hold, back into water and you'll get fog in your room. Opposite is also true. If you raise the temperature, the capacity of air to hold water vapour increases. Everything can be dried quickly. The moisture from your skin gets evaporated faster than your body can replenish it. Skin gets dry. Snot becomes stone. During this whole process your room had 2 liters worth water vapour. It didn't change.

Back