Graphic Cards RS580 Details !!

Freaky

ex-Mod
ATI will announce its new flagship GPU on Tuesday 24th January, 2006 if reports from China today prove to be accurate (thanks to reader Adrian Diaz for the translation). Thus far, the new chip has been known by its R580 codename, but it will reportedly be released as the Radeon X1900.

This comes after Radeon X1800XT being ATI's top video card for little over three and a half months since its announcement on October 5th, and less than a single sales Quarter from when it started shipping in November. Every man and his dog knows that R520 was delayed by months because of a soft grounding issue inside the early revisions of the GPU. Its initial launch was planned to be as early as June this year.

ATI has not disclosed specifications of R580, but we are under the impression that it will have significantly more shader power and higher clock speeds over R520. We're expecting to see 48 shader processors attached to the Ultra Threaded Dispatch Processor compared to the 16 shader processors in R520. However, there will be no increase in texture units or pixel output engines - there will still be 16 texture units and 16 pixel output engines.

R580 (Radeon X1900) is reported to be pin-compatible with the current Radeon X1800-series PCB, meaning that we are not expecting to see ATI move to GDDR4 with the first R580-based products. We could see that move later down the line, though.

We also understand that ATI will use the same cooling solution as found on the current flagship Radeon X1800XT on the new top end card that we're expecting to be called Radeon X1900XT. Yesterday, Wil let on that it might be known as Radeon X1850 series but - based on the differences between R520 and R580 - I suspect it justifies a bigger leap in nomenclature to X1900.

The differences between the previous generation of R423 and R480 were small, and the main reason behind R480 was to resolve the production issues that ATI was having with Radeon X800XT PE. R480 didn't change anything in the pixel shader, unlike R580, which should have some significant gains in performance in shader-intensive titles, like F.E.A.R. and Call of Duty 2.

Of course, NVIDIA aren't likely to take this lying down. If R580 proves to be substantially quicker than X1800XT, and therefore also GeForce 7800 GTX, then expect Santa Clara to counter-punch with G71. Little is publically known about this new GPU, other than it improves on G70's 110nm process by joining ATI at 90nm.

This normally results in lower power consumption, less heat generated, and higher clock speeds - rumours put G71's core clock in excess of 700MHz; possibly as high as 750MHz. It's worth noting that the reference speed of the 7800 GTX is 430MHz, though the recently released GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB increased that to 550MHz. This would put G71 over 60% faster than the former, and still a third quicker than the latter.

Source

Spicy, eh ?

Also look at the last line on the web page :

Register your thoughts - is everything changing too quickly? Can you name a single game that runs "too slowly" on your current X1800XT / 7800 GTX setup?

So very true...

Actually today its more show than really any go....I mean look around todays graphics cards are more powerful than CPU's both server and desktop PC...
A CPU has a bandwidth of nearly 10~16 GBps, your RAM say 10 GBps...your HDD a mere 80 odd MBps but the cards of today (latest and greatest i'm referring to) are in excess of 40 Gbps...

Sure they run our games, truth is it comes down to the age old cliche : how much is enough and just @ what point are we willing to go before a compromise is made....Today even a person buying a 7800GT or X1800XL is making a compromise isn't he, considering that betters are available...and 6 months down the line his card may seem ridiculously slow...

Funny how investment in the IT software industry is considered a good investment and IT hardware sooo bad :bleh:

By compromise I mean if u go for say a gig of value RAM, u are in fact compromising as u could have gone for say an XL set or something...

All this philosophical BS being said (my alter ego is satisfied at having got in a word)....I cannot wait for the new cards to come out in force and maybe rates ta drop...Gaming with the latest games has never been better...Yippeee!!!

Update... Check this out people...

ATI secretly released its Silver Bullets material to AIBs this week and the picture of R580 is slowly coming together. R580, or Radeon X1900 as it is called internally, is expected to "launch" in January according to ATI documentation. Unfortunately, ATI's track record has not been spectacular with the last few product launches. ATI's Crossfire chipset "launched" twice, once in June and again in October.

ATI released their Silver Bullets for Radeon X1800 approximately two months before the launch of the card, but it took nearly six weeks after the launch for master card variants of the X1800 to show up on store shelves (and nearly as long for Crossfire motherboards as well).

The Silver Bullets presentation was a little light on details, but did confirm the R580 GPU has 48 pixel shader processors and higher clocks than R520 (a.k.a. Radeon X1800). Radeon X1900 uses a 90nm process also found on Radeon X1800. The internal briefing also confirmed that there will be two separate versions of the card, RX1900CF "Master Card" and RX1900 "Crossfire Ready" card. Like the Radeon X1800 series, you will need at least one master card to enable Crossfire support. Avivo and Shader Model 3.0 will also appear on Radeon X1900.

Source

The Specs of the the R580 looks gr8 , but Ati launching the card on time in Jan [well no comments on that ;) ]

The launch has always been delayed for the part GPU releases.

But i know someone who is really waiting for this card.

Now the confusion is, is the card a 48 pipe card, or is it 48 ALU ?

Hm is ATI looking for the next gen Shader intensive games based on Ut2k7 engine ? As clearly todays game wont need such intensive shading power, and a clock speed increase will guarantee more performance. Its always good that ATI is not solely aiming for bruteforce, but keeping future requirements in mind.

^^In marketing lingo 48 pipes. Its akin to the GTX which has 24 shader ops and 16 raster ops per cycle. This one will have 48 shader ops and 16 raster ops. So basically this'll be a GPGPU monster. The existing X1800XT hands the 7800GTX its a&%$ in GPGPU already by the tune of 4-5 times so one can only wonder what this will be.

Whats the point of limiting Texture units, and increasing the pixel units manifold. Does ATI expect games to have such long pixel shaders, more or less in future all the pixels in the game have to be programmed to take advantage of such massive power !!!

Apart form synthetic benchies I dont think ATI is going to notice a huge performance increment atleast in today's games.

Its Deejay who is getting as soon as its releasing. Yesterday at the meet saw chaos's XPS system with 6800 ultra, I was amazed at its raw power, he was able to play quake 4 at playable FPS at 1920*1280 resolution. But one thing i have noticed, is that ATI clearly wins hands down at IQ details, color reproduction is more vibrant on ATI anyday.

My next GPU is definitely gonna be ATI again, unless Nvidia offers a real killer deal, like the 7800 GT at present.

Back