Camera Rumor: Nikon D4 and D400 coming this August

malhotraraul

Skilled
It seems that there will be a huge announcement by Nikon coming your way this August, where it will cater for the new Nikon D4 and D400 DSLR cameras. There might even be a Nikon D700 replacement which will be announced – although many suspect that will happen at later date, so much so that 2012 has been thrown into the ring. Nikon enthusiasts might not be too thrilled to hear this, although it does make sense considering historical records that showed the Nikon D3 was announced alongside the D300 back in August 2007. Being an extremely methodical company, if the D3 and D300 pro level DSLRs are riding on a 4-year life cycle, the D700 ought to see a replacement sometime next year since it was announced in the same year as the Beijing Summer Olympics were held – 2008.

Nikon also has the tendency to announce higher end models before using similar technology in lower end versions, so it also makes sense for the Nikon D700 replacement to come out with a better technology after the D4. If new Nikon DSLRs are coming out next year, don’t you think that it is high time you started to save money for them ?

SOURCE

Nice discussions on JJM on this. Apparently the D3's and D700 are very potent cameras, and usually people having those would hardly benefit from replacing those. Hell even the decade old D200 is a very potent camera at present and it meters on older MF lenses unlike the newer Nikon crop cameras.

Aces170 said:
Apparently the D3's and D700 are very potent cameras
I wouldn't use the word apparently :p

Anyway I need to spend the money on traveling. Unless the D4 teleports me to any place I want :p

Hi Guys.

It seems to me, an old codger, that one should buy a new camera when it has features that are actually needed to make the pictures that one wants to make. If an old camera meets the need, then new cameras with new features can be seen as interesting developments on the path to some new camera in the future.

It is inevitable that a better descendent of the D700 will emerge sometime within the foreseeable future. And it will doubtlessly be the right choice for those who might have bought a D700 before. However, it would not surprise me if the vast majority of existing owners of the D700 were to keep their cameras and not upgrade. Many folks, having something that meets the need, will find staying the course easy to do.

Instead of trading about between bodies with ever increasing length of feature lists and bragging rights, IMO one's money is better spent on buying a body one actually needs at the outset, taking into account his growth into the hobby over the next five years. After that, follow-on funds should be directed towards the best glass he can afford, not body upgrades.

Bodies come and go, but that glass moves forward. I'm still using glass I bought for a Nikon F back in the 60s. Every Nikon product I have owned since has used that same glass.

:)

Back