PC Peripherals Running PSU on 2-pin plug...safe or unsafe!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys I'm planning to run a very old psu which is in pristine condition on a 2-pin plug cable rather than usual recommended 3-pin.

My house has proper earthing etc. Its just that I dont a spare 3 pin power cord and have 2 pieces of brand new 2-pin power cords lying unused since ages now.

Of course I can go out and buy a 3pin power cord thats not a issue but was thinking if I can utilize one of these 2 pin cords.

This psu will only run all the fans inside my cabby and no other critical components like proccy/mobo or any hdd.

So what are your thoughts??

Unsafe for the PSU - EMI and other line disturbances are filtered to the ground.

Unsafe for you - in case there is a short between the PCB and the chassis (which is grounded).

Well this is the cable I have...2 pieces brand new.

200018ed-jpg.34025

Will the smps throw any shock or something even I attempt to connect just for a while to check if it works good??

Yes...I got the exact same cable too & it lying unused. I got CM 600 PSU too, but I thought, it came with Crossair VX 550 PSU till now....as I doubted CM provide anything extra in the box.

Its a European cable I think.
Well then if it came with cm and corsair brands then it should be safe.
I wonder that in Europe they dont use earthing/ground or what?

^^ how can they not use earthing? that hole you see is for earthing and their sockets provide the necessary link and plug-support

Hmm. Just thought the same. It means their wall socket earthing got a male pin and live and neutral are normal like us.
Wish the whole world had same plug pins system.

Just checked with 2pin and it worked but it hits back current. So not a good idea.

Did a DIY and made a 3pin off that cable and now its working good.

Back