Sachin Tendulkar should retire opines Ian Chappel

Vij

Skilled
Ian Chappel writes....

Before anybody else makes a decision on what will happen to Tendulkar the player himself has to have a good long look in the mirror and decide what he's trying to achieve in the game. At the moment he looks like a player trying to eke out a career; build on a glittering array of statistics. If he really is playing for that reason and not to help win as many matches as he can for India then he is wasting his time and should retire immediately.

When you think that for a decade Brian Lara and Tendulkar went head to head in a wonderful battle of stroke play to establish who was the best batsman in the world, they are now worlds apart in effectiveness.

Tendulkar hasn't been as lucky as Lara; the Indian batsman has suffered a lot of injuries in this period where his play has deteriorated and there is nothing that melts your mental approach quicker than physical handicaps. Lara has been relatively free from injury and he certainly doesn't have the weight of numbers riding on his shoulders that Tendulkar does.

If Tendulkar had found an honest mirror three years ago and asked the question; "Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the best batsman of all?" It would've answered; "Brian Charles Lara." If he asked that same mirror right now; "Mirror, mirror on the wall should I retire?" The answer would be; "Yes.

Cricinfo - Look into that mirror, Sachin

India cant see you like this....cant see you fll from such great heights...retire dear son...

All sportsmen would like to retire at the peak of their career, a perfect example is Pete Sampras who fought back, bagged a few more titles and then retired. Tendulkar probably wants to retire at his peak too, but that peak has come and gone... he just doesn't seem to have that winning attitude anymore so the only choice left could be retirement.

He'll be back with a bang. He has always been a winner and he's not gonna retire with a whimper.

And as RiO said, all great sportsmen have retired at their peak. Don't believe its going to be any different with Sachin. He'll prove his detractors wrong yet again and then think about retirement.

IMO, he should be training his ass off and getting his mentality straight to what it was like when he was in his prime, then play World Cup 2011, play well, and retire.

AMD4Life said:
So are you suggesting that now is the "right time" for hime to retire, like a coward??
I'm suggesting he retire before he is fired, because his current commitment to the sport is a clear indication that he can't make a comeback.

If he wasn't committed to the game now, he wouldn't have been stepping on the field & we all know "financially speaking" he doesn't need to!

If coming back from serious injuries to don that India cap once again, to making himself available for bowling and fielding near the boundary rope (despite his shoulder injuries & tennis elbow), to having tears flowing after the Sri Lanka game even after 18 years of been-there-seen-that is not a sign of commitment to the team, I don't think you wish to be fair to him.

And if all this negativity for sachin is stemming from the World Cup performance, then I guess the entire team should retire and look for alternative careers. They performed badly and they know it.

I don't follow Indian cricket much, so it's not negativity or hate... he hasn't been performing for a couple years or more now. And it's not like they won the last world cup either. He "was" a good player that "isn't" focused anymore - for whatever reasons, injury or otherwise - and it is my strong opinion that he can't make a comeback. You can't ride on your past glory and expect sympathy in the world of sport... when you can't perform anymore, you shouldn't even be there. I'm nobody to say that, but am I the only one who thinks the Indian team lacked any form of motivation this world cup? Of course, there have been memorable moments when Sachin has played well for India, but he's just excess baggage now. You can't ride the "I was a great batsman 5-10 years ago" wave when you've been out of form for far too long.

P.S. Don't even refer to the Bermuda game lol.

And just when Sehwag scored a hundred off Bermuda, everyone got relieved and there was no more talk of Sehwag . Public memory is sadly very short. One hundred and its back to form ? wth? lol

yep , when you are excess babbage and trying to keep your place in the side , you should be *fired*

RiO said:
You can't ride on your past glory and expect sympathy in the world of sport... when you can't perform anymore, you shouldn't even be there.
You can't ride the "I was a great batsman 5-10 years ago" wave when you've been out of form for far too long.

Agreed on the quoted content.

But as far as him being an excess baggage in the team, that..is a bit too harsh. Sure he hasn't been playing the way he used to but is there anyone in the Indian cricketing scene right now to replace him. Its not like as if because of him being there, younger & better players are not being given a chance. For Christ sake, they are still playing Viru & Agarkar in the team.

About making comebacks, the world said the same about Cantona when he was banned for a season from competitive football, same about Sir alex Fergusson when United were trophy-less for the past 3 seasons, about Ronaldo when he got fat and then dropped from the first team, about van Nistelrooy when he broke a leg and was on crutches for 2 years..
But that it didn't stop them from seeing the best of their times in their sport! Why should Sachin be any different. He has tasted success in life and he knows what it takes to be there...Again!

:) maybe but my point is slightly different and it is not only about sachin.....everytime you get a player who is not in form then the ultimate loser is our country....

sachin might take ten twenty matches to come back on form but every time that he plays badly it is India who suffers...

Before everyone gives any opinion. A major point to be noted.

That even at 1/3 of his potential he is better then most batsmen in this country, so first find someone who can play 1/3 of what he can & then think that he should retire. And no, I dont mean playing in our maidans, but ability to play on foriegn seaming tracks.

lol the so called youngsters cant bat to save their lives in any conditions where the ball seams or swings. They can only prove their mettle against medium pacers in sub continent conditions.

raj_pol said:
sachin might take ten twenty matches to come back on form but every time that he plays badly it is India who suffers...

Sachin taking 10-20 matches to come back to form?? :huh: :huh:
When has that ever happened with him?
He came back from a long lay-off in '07 and in the ONLY 6 matches (prior to World Cup) in which he got a chance to bat against WI & SL, he scored 2 half-centuries and a century. Hmm..Bad Form..:p

There's no denying that he had a bad time at the World Cup but then which Indian batsman did! He played 3 matches and did poorly in 2. Th next match he'll play, if he scores a 100, the whole nation will again go ga-ga over him. This is silly. The guy's class and let that be. He'll know when is the time to retire.

broar94 said:
want to keep the pros and not let the youngsters play and prove their mettle ? holy cow! flame-bait [:D]

Sachin has vacated his opening slot for the team (a youngster named Uthappa)..Why blame him?
And seriously, I'm genuinely interested in knowing names of some "youngsters" who you think are accomplished enough to remove Sachin from the team?

I just do not want to Criticise Sachin as he was my hero when he Played for India, but from last 3-4 years Sachin not Playing for India but TO GET HUGE ADVERTISING CONTRACTS ONLY, i suspect that he may provide some part of his income to Selection Committee members and persons who has hold on BCCI and they just keep him selecting by Ignoring/Crushing real Talent.

AMD4Life said:
Sachin has vacated his opening slot for the team (a youngster named Uthappa)..Why blame him?
And seriously, I'm genuinely interested in knowing names of some "youngsters" who you think are accomplished enough to remove Sachin from the team?

VVS Laxman (Batsman), Mohd. Kaif, Suresh Raina (both are good with bat and field).

Back