Samsung Galaxy S (i9000)

galois

Disciple
Any idea when the Galaxy S will be available here and the price. The specs look awesome, but the price tag should be steep (maybe around 30k).
Anybody seen it yet?

gray market pieces are already available on eBay.in for 40k (16GB Model). As for official versions, different sites seem to have reported different prices. The MRP is 31k, but I have seen many sites where the price is quoted as 28k. (I am guessing this is for the 8GB version).

My regular dealer in Mumbai told me yesterday that it would be available in another 15 days or so. He thinks it should be available for a price between 25k & 30k.

But he thinks that the HTC Desire would be better than the i9000.

:)

This is being touted as the ultimate Android phone, and I am myself considering getting it as my next phone, but there are a few issues/things that I don't like about it.

1. Confusion about the quantity of RAM. It seems that Samsung initially put only 256Mb RAM in this phone (test units) and later seemed to have decided to go with 512Mb. But seems that they they have sent out some phones (maybe a few initial batches) into the market with 256Mb RAM. People from the East Asia got this phone first and some of them have got units with 256Mb. They are reporting that their phones are much less responsive than expected. If Samsung has more of such stock, they may decide to dump them in India.

2. Not shipping with Froyo as default. I don't like firmware updates, If I have a stable product out of the box, I don't update it whether its a motherboard, mobile phone or anything else. (I didn't update my launch day 5800 till the firmware version 50 released) Since Froyo is being touted as the best Android release so far and its already out, samsung should have considered releasing the phones with Froyo pre-installed even if it meant a delay of a month or two.

3. Lack of LED Flash. I don't care about its use for the camera. but I have grown used to using the LED flash as a torch light. I have an app on my 5800 which allows me to switch on the Dual LED flash and the phone doubles as a convenient torch light. Its one of things I rely on my phone for on a regular basis.

4. A 4" screen on this phone makes it quite large and hard to keep in pant pockets.

5. Not having a metallic case or at least a back side . This is a huge premium phone with a 4" display and its thin as it can get. With out a metallic body/skeleton, its quite possible to snap this thing in two when you keep it in your pocket.

RAM was always 512 Mb, some sites reported 256 erroneously. Havent heard anyone complaining of slow response due to 256Mb.

lack of LED is a slight issue so I am thinking of Wave which has.

^^ Nope, even gsmarena put the specs as 256Mb initially as that was what was reported by their initial preview test unit. Later they got it clarified from Samsung that 512Mb RAM is used in the subsequently revised test units and release versions. Also some people did get units with 256Mb. I have seen comments to that effect in gsmarena and a few other places. Their units reported 256Mb and the handsets performance was also in lieu with that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

btw, here's benchies of Galaxy S and comparison to Desire and Nexus One.

Samsung's Galaxy S scores in benchmarks - CNET Asia

Yes I had gone through the GSM preview and comments. It seems the issue of 256 RAM is more to do with Android 2.1. Andoid 2.1 can use and shows a max of 256 RAM even if 512 Mb is present, which will be corrected in Android 2.2.

So some people erroneously thought that their phones have only 256 Mb RAM. This has been comfirmed by various forums.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ Nope, even gsmarena put the specs as 256Mb initially as that was what was reported by their initial preview test unit. Later they got it clarified from Samsung that 512Mb RAM is used in the subsequently revised test units and release versions. Also some people did get units with 256Mb. I have seen comments to that effect in gsmarena and a few other places. Their units reported 256Mb and the handsets performance was also in lieu with that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

btw, here's benchies of Galaxy S and comparison to Desire and Nexus One.

Samsung's Galaxy S scores in benchmarks - CNET Asia
Nice info about the benchmark scores. Guess I'll have to opt for the i9000 instead of waiting for the Nexus one.....

Aww.... I so loved the Nexus one..... :(

I got my hands on this beauty today, havent played with it much yet....but as far as very initial impressions go, I'm really impressed with the ease of use and the brilliant screen! Will keep updating info as I get familiar with the device....

Samsung Galaxy S (i9000) 16GB is available for 29K with 1yr warranty at Samsung Plaza in Annanagar, chennai

Just verified ...they dont have a demo peice to check out right now but they will have one in a weeks time ... I am planning to check it out before getting it ... or else i might go for HTC desire/legend depending on my $$ :D

I posted this on the android forums earlier today, about the scores given by Neocore, a graphics performance benchmarking app for androids..

I was going through the comments posted in the neocore app section, and it's clear that SGS has outperformed every other android phone quite easily...

Approx score ranges:

SGS I9000 : 51 - 56

HTc Hero: 27 - 34

HTC Evo: 24 - 26

Sony X10: 29 - 33

Moto Droid X: 42

Moto Droid: 23 - 26

HTC Aria: 35.6

Nexus One: 28 - 29.4

HTC Legend: 30 - 32

Acer Liquid: 32

LG Ally: 36

HTC Desire: 25 - 27

So the Galaxy S doesn't actually have a gyro. The Accelerometer+Magnetometer behaves as a six axis gyro. Nevertheless, it can still make for some interesting gaming control. More on that here - Which SGS has all the components? - xda-developers

P.S: Its confirmed that all the US versions have the six axis control. Can anyone who owns an Indian version of the Galaxy S verify if those come with it as well?

Back