Video Samsung LED panel issues... Now what?

dekruzader

Disciple
We have a two year old Samsung edge lit 46" LED TV, which is having a lots of issues. First of all, it is out of warranty and I was an idiot to not take extended warranty to begin with. The issue started some months back and it manifested as small but visible horizontal line on one side of the panel. Then the lines spread across the whole panel and the color started getting screwed up. There were color smears on the picture and also some ghosting to go with. Now it has a white veil over the picture and it is really sad to watch it.

This is when I contacted the customer support and the guy who came to check the TV said that he has to change the panel. :'( I braced myself for the impact and as I expected, the guy quoted something like 54K for the panel replacement. Also, he is not providing any warranty for the same. I got the TV for 99K.. and the panel is more than half the price of even a new TV!

Now the questions are - what are my options? Should I get a second opinion regarding repairability of the TV? Anyone knows someone who can help in this regard in Bangalore? Or should I buy a new TV? I spoke to one of the showroom fellow and he said he can give me something like 3.5K :no: for the old tv. If I go for a new TV, which one? I want something which has lots of warranty and that too which covers the panel.

Too bad, but it seems that some samsung's led had this problem. can you tell which panel do you have?

also, can you give me the exact model number of your TV? I know the mumbai guy, so can ask him the rate for the same. if lower, will let ya know.

I hav Samsung LED TV UA40B7000 (2009)....... no problems at all.........

Maybe try to reset the TV....... or upgrade the firmware....... I always keep my FW updated.......

panzer008 said:

Maybe try to reset the TV....... or upgrade the firmware....... I always keep my FW updated.......

I had a similar issue with my Samsung LCD TV, got the panel changed(not from Samsung), the problem revisited an year later :facepalm:

This time I ended up buying a new TV instead of spending the insane amount(Samsung again :p )

panzer008 said:

Spending 54k for replacing the panel doesn't make sense,i would suggest you to get a new tv.
Todays tvs have much higher contrast and better image processing they your 09 model.

Do you use a stabilizer with your tv?

vivek.krishnan said:
Too bad, but it seems that some samsung's led had this problem. can you tell which panel do you have?

also, can you give me the exact model number of your TV? I know the mumbai guy, so can ask him the rate for the same. if lower, will let ya know.

Thanks for the help. The model number is UA46B6000.
panzer008 said:

I didn't expect wonders but nevertheless, upgraded the firmware to the latest. But it doesn't help. The other functions are still perfect. But the picture is botched up.
pranut said:
I had a similar issue with my Samsung LCD TV, got the panel changed(not from Samsung), the problem revisited an year later :facepalm:

This time I ended up buying a new TV instead of spending the insane amount(Samsung again :p )

Hmm.. looks like buying a new TV is better as per your experience. Also, even if I get the panel changed from Samsung, no warranty is offered on the new panel. The service guy said he will give his own guarantee of 1 month. LOL.
adder said:
Spending 54k for replacing the panel doesn't make sense,i would suggest you to get a new tv.

Todays tvs have much higher contrast and better image processing they your 09 model.

I think it makes sense, adder. Yes, I am using a 1.5KVA servo stab for all equipments - AVR, speakers, media players and TV.

I wanted to use a UPS just for the TV and the media player but was not really sure what to use. Is it recommended?

adder said:

No..... directly plugged to wall....... Thought I take precautions like remove the plug when its lightning and when lights go off.......

But should I use stabilizer?? I didnt feel the need since I hardly hav 1 power blackout in whole yr in my part of Mumbai....

dekruzader said:
I think it makes sense, adder. Yes, I am using a 1.5KVA servo stab for all equipments - AVR, speakers, media players and TV.
I wanted to use a UPS just for the TV and the media player but was not really sure what to use. Is it recommended?

Well a UPS isn't necessary unless you want back up.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

panzer008 said:
No..... directly plugged to wall....... Thought I take precautions like remove the plug when its lightning and when lights go off.......

But should I use stabilizer?? I didnt feel the need since I hardly hav 1 power blackout in whole yr in my part of Mumbai....

Its highly recommended that you get a stabilizer like the V-guard crystal.The voltages that we get in india quite routinely go well over the normal operating range of electronics.so its better you get a stabilizer.

I guess I have convinced myself to go for a new TV. I remember last time it was not easy to make a decision. It took considerable amount of running around to audition and reading through lots of materials online. I thought it was all over.. but its all coming back again. Sigh! Now I am totally out of touch with TV's atleast and would appreciate good recommendations for a min of 46" TV. My budget would be something like 1L. My usage is mostly HD contents (movies/HDTV) and a little bit of SD content like news etc... One important thing after my previous experience is the warranty. Do all brands give warranty on panels? Who gives more warranty? And to the mix, the most irritating question of all - LED/LCD or Plasma? Is this valid anymore?

Torn between a PDP and an LED. Any idea what is the price of a VT30? And how well it compares to the other competing LED tvs from samsung and sony? Anybody?

Nice choice. + 3 years warranty is peace of mind.

Only drawback is it cannot play all the video formats that the sammy plays.No pass through also for DTS audio.

Where and for how much did you get it. Also post your initial impressions.

Got it for 80K with two 3D glasses. It was a clearance sale. I was not looking for the TV's ability to play files off USB as I have a separate media player which is connected to a AV Receiver. The picture quality is what is very striking compared to the old LED TV. Honestly, I was not able to see this kind of pictures with the sammy in any settings.

Back