Monitors Samsung Odyssey G3 or Gigabyte G24F 2 or something else? Both 24inches.

DentFuse

Disciple
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a new monitor around 10-13k on amazon. I currently have a RX6600 so only looking for 1920x1080 monitors. I have shortlisted two as mentioned in the title. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My primary uses are gaming (not esports, instead cinematic such as A Plague Tale, occasionally Valorant/CSGO) and coding.

Pros for the Gigabyte:
Higher Refresh Rate (165hz base with OC upto 180hz vs 144hz on Samsung) - I've been told difference b/w 144 and 165 is not even noticeable.
QOL features for gaming, might just be marketing BS tho.
IPS Panel
Has support for HDR whereas Samsung one doesn't (?) - Couldn't find anything related to HDR on Samsung's website
Higher brightness (300 cd/m3 vs 250 cd/m3) - Not sure whether even noticeable

Pros for Samsung:
Much better contrast ratio (3000:1 vs 1100:1 on Gigabyte)
Same QOL gaming jargon
VA Panel

Having known these difference now, which monitor would you recommend? Please do write your reasoning for the same as well. Open to suggestion for other monitors in similar price range, Thank you!

G3's 1080p at 27'' is too poor for coding.
I'm looking for the 24" not 27". Honestly after reading a couple of reviews, Gigabyte seems to be a better option. Samsung has very bad performance in GTG rise and fall times, possibly leading to smearing. It also does not support HDR. Gigabyte also supports a 125% sRGB.

My only question now is, is the 1100:1 contrast ratio really that bad as compared to 3000:1 of Gigabyte.

you could also consider LG24GN600 i am using it right now its pretty decent. Do not take VA panel go for IPS only. google the model number to see specs, i got it offline for 13700 in feb 2023.

So gigabyte seems to be the best option here? Are there any other monitors in this price range?
For gaming, from what I've noticed, IPS would be a much better bet than VA. Consider the LG 24GN650 as well, its got just as good colour coverage, and is a 144hz IPS panel. I don't think you can expect much under 15k from monitors, so anything with an IPS panel will work just fine. HDR doesn't matter much with low brightness either.

Last edited:
For gaming, from what I've noticed, IPS would be a much better bet than VA. Consider the LG 24GN650 as well, its got just as good colour coverage, and is a 144hz IPS panel. I don't think you can expect much under 15k from monitors, so anything with an IPS panel will work just fine. HDR doesn't matter much with low brightness either.
I looked at the LG. Both Gigabyte and LG seem to be almost the same. GB having a bit higher contrast, also has a built-in USB hub. I guess GB seems to be the best option right now.

I would suggest you avoid 1080P monitor as their pixel density is far too low even for 24 Inches. It's OK for gaming, But if you are a content writer or coder, You will be thoroughly disappointed. You can get a 2K monitor and run it in 1080P for games which are demanding, I had a Acer Predator 2K monitor which I bought from a TE member and i ran a bunch of games in 1080P because of my weaker DGPU at that time. Still looked fine.

I would suggest you avoid 1080P monitor as their pixel density is far too low even for 24 Inches. It's OK for gaming, But if you are a content writer or coder, You will be thoroughly disappointed. You can get a 2K monitor and run it in 1080P for games which are demanding, I had a Acer Predator 2K monitor which I bought from a TE member and i ran a bunch of games in 1080P because of my weaker DGPU at that time. Still looked fine.
A 2k monitor is unfortunately out of budget for me. Either it is too expensive or has a very low refresh rate.

A 2k monitor is unfortunately out of budget for me. Either it is too expensive or has a very low refresh rate.
Would suggest keeping an eye out for deals in TE itself. I bought a A+ class 2K monitor from a TE member for just 17K and sold it again a year later for just a few thousand less when I upgraded to my 42 C2.

Back