Android Samsung S20 FE 5G Resale Value Dilemma

arghya139

Disciple
I am thinking to buy Samsung S20 FE 5G since its a good phone in 35-36k price segment.
But its already 2 years old phone, and if I sell that in 2024 will anyone buy that in 50% or 60% drop price ?

I am thinking to buy Samsung S20 FE 5G since its a good phone in 35-36k price segment.
But its already 2 years old phone, and if I sell that in 2024 will anyone buy that in 50% or 60% drop price ?

If you're worried about phones losing value, stick to either the low to mid-range ones or Apple flagships.
No one can really predict what kind of performance jumps we'll see in the future or what kind of value the Xiaomi's, Realme's etc will bring to the mid-range that will depreciate the value of your s20 fe even further.
OP already launched the 9RT with a SD888 for 42k yesterday, personally I'm waiting for the s21 price to drop after next month's s22 reveal.

No, they won't. I had S20 FE the original, without 5G. When I sold it, it was 8 months old and the 5G variant had just launched. I tried to sell it for 22-24K range, but I only got 18K in the end against the purchasing price of 34K or something. 2 years old phones without warranty are just junk at this point as new phones at half the prices would have the same features after a 2 year gap.

If you're worried about phones losing value, stick to either the low to mid-range ones or Apple flagships.
No one can really predict what kind of performance jumps we'll see in the future or what kind of value the Xiaomi's, Realme's etc will bring to the mid-range that will depreciate the value of your s20 fe even further.
OP already launched the 9RT with a SD888 for 42k yesterday, personally I'm waiting for the s21 price to drop after next month's s22 reveal.
Apple flagships? Don't they loose value?

2020 12Pro/Max Original price 120k and 130k a year old now sell for 60k and 70k one can even find 256gb in warranty12 PRO max for 70/75k which is almost half of the retail price.

My bad, I forgot how ridiculously priced their phones are now.
I meant to say taht something like iphone 12 that sells for 53k should hold better value after 2 years than say a S20 FE.

It depends on whether Qualcomm can come up with something decent in next 2 years. 865 and 870 were the last good chips they made, so the s20 fe 5g should hold good value(relatively)
But, we'll also have to consider phones like poco x3 pro, mi11x which cost way less and have nearly same performance. 2 years from now there will definitely be similar phones.
If you want to buy based on resale value retention go for iphones.

I bought it last year on release and it's already down by 11~12k from 47k. It's expected to get one more Android upgrade iirc. Might be able to get 30~40% on resale because the mid range phones might not have the camera quality it offers. S21 prices will also go down once S22 hits the market so that might be a better purchase if prices go down.

Why should I.. Try checking the forum.... There were atleast 2 12 pro max recently sold one was sold for 73k 256gb and another one was 512gb. CHECK MARKET SECTION.

Just go for window shopping today.

2 years from now there will definitely be similar phones.
Phones with OIS in the camera take longer

I too have my eye on S20FE as a replacement new phone or let's say backup. Now that LG is out of the phones market.

What i detest is these shared slots for microsd & sim. Why are they cheaping out on a phone in the 30k range !!!

They sell for almost half in a year's time bro.... I would say Android flagships have slight better resale.

2020 12Pro/Max Original price 120k and 130k a year old now sell for 60k and 70k one can even find 256gb in warranty12 PRO max for 70/75k which is almost half of the retail price.
You are looking at people with disposable income that just need to have the latest top-end version of the phone and think of the earlier version as something to be disposed of at a convenient price. Such instances are far fewer though.

If you look at the mainstream phones, an iPhone has much higher resell value than an Android flagship. The better processors, cameras and iOS support also makes iPhone a much better candidate to hold on to for a long period of time, so you don't see them being resold in as large numbers as the Android ones thereby making resell prices much more difficult to gauge.

Lastly, most Android phones are commoditized as you can get the same hardware and similar software experience in cheaper devices which again depreciates the Android devices much more quickly. Most people just end up relying on the exchange offers on e-commerce sites then which are obviously not that great.

You are looking at people with disposable income that just need to have the latest top-end version of the phone and think of the earlier version as something to be disposed of at a convenient price. Such instances are far fewer though.

If you look at the mainstream phones, an iPhone has much higher resell value than an Android flagship. The better processors, cameras and iOS support also makes iPhone a much better candidate to hold on to for a long period of time, so you don't see them being resold in as large numbers as the Android ones thereby making resell prices much more difficult to gauge.

Lastly, most Android phones are commoditized as you can get the same hardware and similar software experience in cheaper devices which again depreciates the Android devices much more quickly. Most people just end up relying on the exchange offers on e-commerce sites then which are obviously not that great.

Bro I think u have never been to a used cellphone market.... Also in my post which u have qouted has the current resale value of the phone the prices I had mentioned are from our own TE market section and not from local market/vendors.

Also can u share a price comparison chart for resale where it shows that Apple has a better resale value? Afaik all have same resale value specially the higher end models.

Take iphone 13 it was launched for 90k 256gb version, Today after 4 months new can be bought for as low as 77/78k now think of the one who bought it for 90k if he/she sell it today will not fetch more then 55/60k a loss of approx 30k, Where as Samsung s21 ultra was launched for 90k in Jan 2021 can easily be sold locally for 50k today, so a approx loss of 40k after a year.

Same hardware ? Cheaper android devices ? U mean to say one can buy android with SD888 for 10/20k ?

Even a 25k iPhone SE comes with a same IOS as 1.3L 13 Pro max.

Last edited:
I'll agree with Karan bhai, solely because I know how many flagships he goes through every year, whether Android or Apple. Generally people stick to either camp but he buys, uses and sells almost every flagship every year. There was a time when there were many of us like him on this forum but for most smartphone users the enthusiasm has waned over the years and as the phones got more long-term worthy even for hardcore users. I don't even know the new processors, models, cameras these days and I only peek out every 3 years or so when I feel like changing phones. As someone who has been looking to get a Samsung flagship for cheap, what I have personally noticed that because the new releases keep getting expensive every year, the older phones are retaining their value better, especially at both ends of the spectrum or maybe it is just me being a cheapskate and wishing those phones would've dropped a lot more than they have.

Bro I think u have never been to a used cellphone market.... Also in my post which u have qouted has the current resale value of the phone the prices I had mentioned are from our own TE market section and not from local market/vendors.

Also can u share a price comparison chart for resale where it shows that Apple has a better resale value? Afaik all have same resale value specially the higher end models.

Take iphone 13 it was launched for 90k 256gb version, Today after 4 months new can be bought for as low as 77/78k now think of the one who bought it for 90k if he/she sell it today will not fetch more then 55/60k a loss of approx 30k, Where as Samsung s21 ultra was launched for 90k in Jan 2021 can easily be sold locally for 50k today, so a approx loss of 40k after a year.

Same hardware ? Cheaper android devices ? U mean to say one can buy android with SD888 for 10/20k ?

Even a 25k iPhone SE comes with a same IOS as 1.3L 13 Pro max.
The launch price of every device is a joke, so yet again, it is about people who don't care about the price at purchase. S21 for new was available for 50k in the recent sale and S21 Plus for 55k, so someone would be really luck if they can sell the second hand one at 50k and the hit for Samsung devices is going to be much larger.

I was expecting the point on SE to be brought up and hence I differentiated the hardware and software part. Apple creates product categories based on hardware. On the Android side, the Samsung software experience is not too different from the cheaper devices running OneUI and the hardware is not too different from cheaper Chinese manufacturers (though their pricing has also crept up), creating less differentiation.

As for the resale value, I will quote from Cashify as I my experience is based only on selling my own Android and iOS devices, which I unfortunately did twice over the past 2 years, as otherwise I had used an iPhone 7 for 4 years prior to that.
The price of any iPhone from the same year as the Samsung S series will be much higher (Resale Value Percentage wise), most of the time it is 20-30 per cent more than Samsung’s flagship smartphones.

Last edited:
The launch price of every device is a joke, so yet again, it is about people who don't care about the price at purchase. S21 Ultra for new was available for 50k in the recent sale and S21 Plus for 55k, so someone would be really luck if they can sell the second hand one at 50k and the hit for Samsung devices is going to be much larger.

I was expecting the point on SE to be brought up and hence I differentiated the hardware and software part. Apple creates product categories based on hardware. On the Android side, the Samsung software experience is not too different from the cheaper devices running OneUI and the hardware is not too different from cheaper Chinese manufacturers (though their pricing has also crept up), creating less differentiation.

As for the resale value, I will quote from Cashify as I my experience is based only on selling my own Android and iOS devices, which I unfortunately did twice over the past 2 years, as otherwise I had used an iPhone 7 for 4 years prior to that.

S21 ultra for 50k and S21 plus for 55k...only if u have said plus for 50k and ultra for 55k that I would have been right ultra model 5k cheaper then plus model, Bro you are confused it never happened the one you are talking about was for S21. S21 ultra never went below 85k, Period.

As comparing cheaper OneUI devices what if apple launches cheaper 15/20k phone will they not run on IOS.... Don't know what comparison you're trying here cheaper vs Expensive, Most phines have more or less same resale value, I change phones on monthly basis I buy almost every flagship and I would again say Samsung, Apple both have almost same resale value.

@ayaskant12 what you say?

Last edited:
Back