Monitors Samsung SyncMaster Monitor - Flickering Problem!

Black_Hawk

Skilled
I have my E7200 rig connected to a Samsung 17" SyncMaster monitor. However there is a problem that I've noticed after I've connected it to the monitor. The monitor has a slight flickering going on, which is specially noticeable on a white background (like on a webpage, MS Word document etc.). The system specs are in my signature (the second rig).
Any ideas on what the problem is? Any way I could fix it?

TIA

Used to face this issue on my 740N ... had it replaced thrice before I finally got a panel which didn't do that.

Hacker said:
Increas your refresh rate to 85 Hz, the flickering will go away.

The problem is the Refresh Rate counter reads 48/60Hz and I can't for the life of me change that to a higher figure. I can change every other thing (like the brightness, contrast... blah blah) from the monitor's menu but not the refresh rate. The monitor won't let me. :S

It'snot done on monitor OSD menu
right click on desktop --> go to properties --> settings --> Advanced Tab --> Monitor--> change Refresh rate in the drop down menu.

plug-and-play-refresh-rate.jpg

geek ashish said:
It'snot done on monitor OSD menu
right click on desktop --> go to properties --> settings --> Advanced Tab --> Monitor--> change Refresh rate in the drop down menu.

I can't change the refresh rate under the monitor settings! When I go under monitor settings the Screen Refresh Rate is set to 'Use Hardware Default Setting'. That's the only option available and Default Monitor Properties option is also blacked out.

I'm using on-board display, no additional graphics card in the PCI-e slot on this system. The motherboard is an Asus P5K-VM.

Any more ideas on solving this problem? :huh:

the drivers for the monitor may not be updated.

right click on My computer --> properites --> hardware tab --> device manager

under monitors -- check what it shows. if it shows 'Plug and Play monitor', it means that you first need to update your driver, then you can try changing the refresh rate to a higher one.

mhamirma said:
the drivers for the monitor may not be updated.

right click on My computer --> properites --> hardware tab --> device manager

under monitors -- check what it shows. if it shows 'Plug and Play monitor', it means that you first need to update your driver, then you can try changing the refresh rate to a higher one.

Good point. I'll try this out and see if it helps. Thanks mate!

EDIT: Is this the one I should download >> http://download.cnet.com/SyncMaster-794MB-794MBplus-798MB/3000-2108_4-141157.html

(Once again, my monitor is a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 798MB Plus.)

Back