Samsung unpacks Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge at MWC 2015

The Knight

Knight is coming
Adept
The Samsung Unpacked event at the MWC 2015 is all about the next generation of Galaxy smartphones - the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 edge. Samsung seems to be pleased with the limited edition Galaxy Note Edge market success and will be keeping the "edged" devices around.
gsmarena_012.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 duo have been in the rumor mill for quite some time and we already knew pretty much everything there is to know. The devices are now official and we can clear up every tiny detail.

The new Galaxy S6 series is a departure from the previous series, switching from an all-plastic shell to a dual-glass design enhanced with a metal frame. The new combination of materials works great indeed and the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge are arguably, the most beautiful Galaxy smartphones to date. We’re sure, many will forgive the camera hump on the back for sure. This time around the Galaxy S6 isn't dust and water proof though.
gsmarena_022.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 packs a 5.1" Super AMOLED screen with Quad HD resolution resulting into the amazing 577 ppi density. It is protected by the latest Corning Gorilla Glass 4. The hardware Home key once again doubles as fingerprint sensor and supports the new Samsung Pay service.

Samsung Pay relies on NFC and Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) for mobile payments. It has already been certified by Visa, MasterCard, and Samsung is employing key partners worldwide to participate in the service, including American Express, Bank of America, Citi, JPMorgan Chase, and U.S. Bank.

Unlike the Galaxy Note Edge, the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge has the display glass bent on both sides of the phone. While the curve isn't as impressive as on the Note Edge, being bent on both sides makes it feel like an entirely different device. The 5.1" Super AMOLED display also utilizes at Quad HD resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 pixels. It is protected by a curved Corning Gorilla Glass 4, too.

The rumors turned right and Samsung chose not to opt for the Snapdragon 810 chip, probably due to the overhearing issues. So, the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are powered by the company's Exynos 7420, built on a 14nm process and thus more energy-efficient and producing less heat compared to 20nm Snapdragon 810.

The Exynos 7420 chip offers much similar processor to the Snapdragon 810 - an octa-core 64-bit CPU with four Cortex-A57 cores ticking at 2.1GHz and four Cortex-A53 clocked at 1.5GHz. The Exynos 7420 chip uses a Mali-T760 GPU and comes bundled with 3GB LPDDR4 of RAM. The new generation of RAM has already premiered on the LG G Flex2 and we expect the 2015 flagships to feature LPDDR4 RAM chips.

Samsung Galaxy S6 duo comes with a new ISOCELL camera sensor with 16MP resolution. The camera is enhanced with optical image stabilization, phase detection autofocus and has a single-LED flash. Quite expectedly, 4K video recording is supported.

The front camera is 5MP, capable of 1080p video capturing.

The new Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge feature 32GB / 64GB / 128GB storage, non-expandable though. The storage is of the new UFS 2.0 variety, which uses "Command Queue" tech used in SSDs for accelerating the speed of command execution. The end-result is 19,000 input/output operations (IOPS) per second for random reading – that’s 2.7x faster than the performance of the eMMC 5.0 memory found in the previous crop of flagships.

The all-round connectivity package includes LTE Cat.6, Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS with GLONASS and Beidou, IR blaster and FM radio. The Galaxy S6 is powered by a 2,550 mAh battery, while the Galaxy S6 egde has a 2,600 mAh unit.

Finally, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge run on Android 5.0 Lollipop enhanced with the latest TouchWiz UI with Material design and cleaner interface. The TouchWiz on the Galaxy S6 Edge offers various features and apps working on the edges of the display, including a newer and better version of the Quick Glance info for the lockscreen.

This time around Samsung has partnered with Microsoft, instead of Dropbox, and will be offering 115GB OneDrive storage for 2 years to each Galaxy S6 user.

Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge will launch on April 10 in 20 markets, followed soon by even more countries in May. The Galaxy S6 will be available in White Pearl, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Blue Topaz, while you will be abe to get the Galaxy S6 edge in White Pearl, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Green Emerald. The pricing is yet to be detailed.

Meanwhile you may want to check our detail hands-on articles on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge right here.

Source

In before butthurt brigade comes in saying <insert random shitty chinese company name here>'s <insert model number here> is better.
In before haters come in moaning about how much bloatware is there in the samsung phones

In before butthurt brigade comes in saying <insert random shitty chinese company name here>'s <insert model number here> is better.
In before haters come in moaning about how much bloatware is there in the samsung phones

I doubt that. Still s6 GPE Edition and they will kick apple's butt from every way.

<3'd the device.

we used to say, Android OS is awesome, but devices made by samsung sucks. Now finally samsung made an awesome device, google has to catch up. ;) lollipop really isn't polished enough for this.

I don't know how people think this is better design than what Samsung used to release, S4, S5 etc.! I mean I didn't know that putting glass at back could make a device better! I sincerely hope the same won't happen with Note 5, otherwise I am out.

I don't know how people think this is better design than what Samsung used to release, S4, S5 etc.! I mean I didn't know that putting glass at back could make a device better! I sincerely hope the same won't happen with Note 5, otherwise I am out.

Very well better design, sure they copied apple in a lot of stuff, but then again- it made it very sexy, and that what matters. Putting glass on the back of the phone has plenty of cons - fingerprint magnet, shitty grip.. but one pros - that's hawtness. Glass back is really sexy. You can always apply a dbrand skin if you are not sure for glass back..

Though I am not planning to buy this, but I sure as hell am tempted to. I am sure many who are willing to buy will love this phone anyways. Even better if samsung outs a GPE edition, they will cover stock android fanboys too.

Looks and feels much better than S4 and S5.
Not a big change in the design but a big change in the components being used.

Looks and feels much better than S4 and S5.
Not a big change in the design but a big change in the components being used.
Feels? Your were in Barcelona bro?

I have used Xperia Z2 for an hour, that glass back is horrendous, simply awful! Anyway, personal preference.

Very well better design, sure they copied apple in a lot of stuff, but then again- it made it very sexy, and that what matters. Putting glass on the back of the phone has plenty of cons - fingerprint magnet, shitty grip.. but one pros - that's hawtness. Glass back is really sexy. You can always apply a dbrand skin if you are not sure for glass back..

Though I am not planning to buy this, but I sure as hell am tempted to. I am sure many who are willing to buy will love this phone anyways. Even better if samsung outs a GPE edition, they will cover stock android fanboys too.

You do know that Apple copied Samsung with their i thing at first place right? Not only Samsung though, they copied a lot of brands, anyway, that's irrelevant, can't bring down Samsung's level that much.

Yeah, GPE edition would be really great, agree on that.

I used xperia z1 compact for a while and I liked the glass back better than iphone 6's metal back. for some reason I feel it gives better grip than the metal as the fingers stick to the glass while holding. anyways you will always a glass front no matter what phone you chose so I dont agree with the fingerprint magnet argument.

Feels? Your were in Barcelona bro?

I have used Xperia Z2 for an hour, that glass back is horrendous, simply awful! Anyway, personal preference.

I cant take the word of people who were there.

How can you say that Z2 felt awful to you so will S6?

Were you in Barcelona? ;)

Using glass for the body is IMO several steps backward in terms of build quality and durability. People don't buy smartphones to put them in showcases. They are meant to be carried in pockets and used in everyday life and they should be built with durable materials.

Using glass for the body makes the phone fragile. It doesn't matter if its a special kind of glass or not, but unless its completely shatter proof, it doesn't make any sense at all from a practical perspective. God knows how many iPhone's with glass body I have seen with the body shattering for various reasons. Just a few months back, a colleague accidentally dropped an iPhone from a 2 foot high desk on to the floor with a 1 cm thick carpet. it didn't even make a sound when it fell, but that was enough for the entire glass to shatter.

If I am spending a premium on a phone, I would much rather have it built using plastic or metal than glass.[DOUBLEPOST=1425290260][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, anybody actually in Barcelona for MWC? I was nominated by my company to go to MWC, but as my passport has expired and I have yet to get it renewed. In any case, MWC doesn't make a lot of sense for developers.

I thought this guy bid farewell to this forum weeks ago and said he was not gonna come back.[DOUBLEPOST=1425577856][/DOUBLEPOST]The S6 Edge good gawd. Best looking smartphone from.Samsung for me. *-*

Last edited:
Back