CPU/Mobo Sandy Bridge temps too high

xtremegforce

Disciple
Hi

I have recently assembled a sandy Bridge system. i5 2400 with ASUS P867-M. After assembling when I went into the BIOS for the first time the CPU temp was around 50C. I thought it might be because of the BIOS as it was an older version. So I went ahead and installed the OS with the service pack and also updated the BIOS to the latest version from ASUS website.

But still the temps were the same. RealTemp shows 38-45C idling. I don't know why the temps keep fluctuating. So I thought it might be an issue with the heat sink or the TIM. I have already applied the TIM twice but still no change:huh:. I am using CoolerMaster HTK002(I know that's not enough but I actually forgot to pickup Arctic Silver 5 from Lammy, I am trying to get one asap).
I tried running Cinebench and Prime 95 the temps reach an alarming 95C in no time and I have to cancel the test.

I was really shocked to find that the heat-sink:mad: intel has provided is of such low quality:(. I mean my Pentium 4 Heatsink is lot thicker than this one and me P4 never went beyond 68C with the same cooler master TIM.

Guys, please help me fix this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Idle temps look fine. Nothing to be worried about. But load temp of 95deg is way out of line even if it is for Prime 95. Try re-seating the HSF, maybe it is not making proper contact. The Intel heat sink is small because these CPU's don't need anything larger for stock operation. Pentium 4 heat sink would obviously be larger because the CPU needs it.

Lord Nemesis said:
Idle temps look fine. Nothing to be worried about. But load temp of 95deg is way out of line even if it is for Prime 95. Try re-seating the HSF, maybe it is not making proper contact. The Intel heat sink is small because these CPU's don't need anything larger for stock operation. Pentium 4 heat sink would obviously be larger because the CPU needs it.

it not just the size. the problem seems to be with the arrangement of fins resulting in poor heat dissipation.

^^ well ive seen intel sumtimes cutting cost by not giving a copper base for the HSF.

Like a few days back i cleaned the HSF for a pentium D. It has a circular copper base.

Few days later was doing the same for a e8400. Now this one has just the plane jane aluminium base.

@@xtremegforce -- Ur idle temps seem ok.Nothing alarming.

Also for the TIM, use a very thin base and dont over do the application. :) As you may know its job is to fill out the small gaps between the cpu and the hsf base.Sometimes people apply a very thick coat, resulting in poor conduction from cpu to hsf, obstructed by the fat layer of TIM

And, ensure proper airflow in your cabinet.For that some cable management and proper setup of fans is all you need.

intel has provided is of such low quality

True... My i5 750 used to hit 80c on stock heatsink fan when i used to run Techarps x264 benchmark... So i ditched it and bought Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and now my i5 750's temp rises to 63 to 64c max on full load...

xtremegforce said:
I tried running Cinebench and Prime 95 the temps reach an alarming 95C in no time and I have to cancel the test.

Sorry I missed this out, till Lord Nemesis pointed it out. Even a stock HSF should not allow this. Either too much/less TIM, or the push-pins are not docked correct. Try to budge the HSF, it should not move at all. Also once you mount the HSF, the push-pins should be visible from behind the board.

Give it a re-build.

@desiibond u cant oc a 2400

iv got the i5 2400 and asus p8h67-v and idle temps at 45 and cpu goes till 70 when playing the witcher 2
if u used the stock paste,it comes as small strips of 3 and it doesnt melt evenly,so u have very poor contact...remove it and reapply with center dot method

dont worry about it dude...my old pentium prescott used to touch 100 if i didnt clean the cooler and tat ran for 5 yrs

I really think its the stupid intel mount and coz of that maybe you arent getting it to sit properly. My old c2d and even i7 stock heatsinks are like that and a TOTAL pain to do right. The hs has to be rock solid and not budge at all when mounted correctly otherwise you will feel some movement and it will result in less contact with the cpu leading to the HS not doing its job.

Exactly, my i5-760 used to hit 89 degrees on stock HSF. Upgraded to H50 and now its 34-38 at idle and 60 at full load.

I really think its the stupid intel mount and coz of that maybe you arent getting it to sit properly.

I beg to differ, if it is seated properly you will have no issues at stock at all...I have been able to bench at 5Ghz with STOCK HSF!!! Just make sure it is seated properly and all the 4 pins are in properly. I think it is just not seated right. Check the back of the Mobo if you can if all the 4 mounting pins are perfectly inserted and clipped...you will hear a clicking sound while rotating the top of the 4 mounting struts.

Thanks a lot to everybody for replying.
desiibond

Re: Sandy Bridge temps too high
yes. that is normal for SandyBridge and I think it is safe. If you are thinking of OC, better get a aftermarket cooler.

No buddy, I am not overclocking the CPU, it's running at default stock speeds.

Lord Nemesis

Do you think it may be due to the TIM that I am using. I have already tried re-seating it a couple of times. Don't know if it's getting installed correctly.
Guess, i'll post some snaps for you guys.

G80_gts

^^ well ive seen intel sumtimes cutting cost by not giving a copper base for the HSF.

Like a few days back i cleaned the HSF for a pentium D. It has a circular copper base.

Few days later was doing the same for a e8400. Now this one has just the plane jane aluminium base.

@@xtremegforce -- Ur idle temps seem ok.Nothing alarming.

Also for the TIM, use a very thin base and dont over do the application. As you may know its job is to fill out the small gaps between the cpu and the hsf base.Sometimes people apply a very thick coat, resulting in poor conduction from cpu to hsf, obstructed by the fat layer of TIM

And, ensure proper airflow in your cabinet.For that some cable management and proper setup of fans is all you need.

I will post some snaps of the system.

Hades.

intel has provided is of such low quality
True... My i5 750 used to hit 80c on stock heatsink fan when i used to run Techarps x264 benchmark... So i ditched it and bought Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and now my i5 750's temp rises to 63 to 64c max on full load...

Hades, Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is really a good option when you are thinking about overclocking. Buying a heat-sink to run the CPU at stock speeds just doesn't seems to be a worthwhile investment. If I knew temps would be problem, I would have bought i5 2500k with Noctua D14.

asingh
Quote Originally Posted by xtremegforce View Post
Sorry I missed this out, till Lord Nemesis pointed it out. Even a stock HSF should not allow this. Either too much/less TIM, or the push-pins are not docked correct. Try to budge the HSF, it should not move at all. Also once you mount the HSF, the push-pins should be visible from behind the board.

Give it a re-build.

Hey buddy, I have tried re-seating the heat sink. I heard the clicking sound of the push pins. I can even see the pushpins at the back of the mobo. Tried budging the heat sink, it's not moving, but I think I'll post some snaps for you guys to decide.

touzeen

@desiibond u cant oc a 2400

iv got the i5 2400 and asus p8h67-v and idle temps at 45 and cpu goes till 70 when playing the witcher 2
if u used the stock paste,it comes as small strips of 3 and it doesnt melt evenly,so u have very poor contact...remove it and reapply with center dot method

dont worry about it dude...my old pentium prescott used to touch 100 if i didnt clean the cooler and tat ran for 5 yrs
hey bro, i didn't use the stock paste. Honestly that was the first thing that I did. I removed it using a rubbing alcohol. And I applied Cooler Master HTK002 using a center dot method.

Infected
Exactly, my i5-760 used to hit 89 degrees on stock HSF. Upgraded to H50 and now its 34-38 at idle and 60 at full load.
I really think its the stupid intel mount and coz of that maybe you arent getting it to sit properly.
I beg to differ, if it is seated properly you will have no issues at stock at all...I have been able to bench at 5Ghz with STOCK HSF!!! Just make sure it is seated properly and all the 4 pins are in properly. I think it is just not seated right. Check the back of the Mobo if you can if all the 4 mounting pins are perfectly inserted and clipped...you will hear a clicking sound while rotating the top of the 4 mounting struts.
Benching 5GHz on stock that's awesome bro. I am not overclocking the CPU just at stock speeds reaches 95 in Cinebench and Prime 95. I can't even run the Prime for 2 minutes.

Once again thanks a lot to everybody, I am so much relieved after reading all your suggestions.

or other idea,get simple cooler master tx3 cooler,wont cost more than 1500 rs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

use it with as 5 and see if it helps.

Nah he doesnt need to spend any money its the hsf mounting im sure of it because everytime ive used it even after multiple times I struggle to get it on correctly. I remember a time when me and my friend were installing his c2d and we had just done mine and struggled with it , we were struggling because everytime we thought we had it right we tried moving the hs and it would come loose.

It just happened that his dealer dropped by with some parts of his and he just held it down and managed to install it in one shot and laughed at us :p Ofc he installs hundreds of these every year for many many years.

I also really do think you have a mount issue.. 95 Deg C isnt healthy. Also did you disable fan speed control in bios ? do that aswell.

Asus boards report Core temps in bios.. The temp that you see in the new Asus EFI bios is of one of your cores and not the cpu :)

Please do post a picture or 2 or your rig. It says a 100000 words :)

cheers and kind regards !

Hi guys, please checkout these pics and let me know how to fix the temp issue. Just forgot to mention one more thing, when I touch the heat-sink when cpu reaches temps greater than 70C, I actually don't feel the heat sink heating up that much.

[attachment=8649:15142.attach]

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• pushPins.jpg
    pushPins.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 101
  • cabling.jpg
    cabling.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 113
  • pushPins_2.jpg
    pushPins_2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 98
Sir have you even rotated the pins to lock 'em... look at the mid picture.... None of them are even locked...

Is this the first time you installing a HSF???

Dude none of them are locked ...press 'em in and rotate as per arrows....

Please do post a picture or 2 or your rig. It says a 100000 words

So true :)

Back