Sansui 42" Plasma for 59K

yusuf

Adept
Sansui 42" Plasm for 59K inclusive of all taxes.

Not sure how good Sansui are (heard that they are made by LG or uses LG panel) but thought somebody here would be interested. Btw, it is 480p only.

btw, I did some search on web on Sansui. Here is some reading - no personal experience
- Few user have reported problem about fading colors after only few months of usage
- Sansui is now umbrela brand only and trademark is owned by various companies. So this could be some chinese prodct stamped as 'Sansui' - may be this is a reason for their (misleading?) trademark 'born in japan' and not made in japan

Probably not a way to go.

One thing I noticed yesterday at the mall was, that 42" plasmas with 1080 support with Tata sky have a very grainy picture, I feel that it might be due to the fact that the signal is 480 as opposed to HD signal..... So in current scenario 42" plasma with 480 support might have less granier pictuare than one with 720/1080 support!

All disk TV STB in India comes with only composite out which is quite lower quality - specially when watching on larger screen. This also contributes to grainy and not so sharp, faded color picture yu see on large screen.

In US, most STB comes with component video and s-video as minimum and newer HD STB are with HDMI. In India, it is not done for price consideration (I was design consultant for STB for one of the compnies and BOM is really low to offer all features). Hope they come up with multiple models someday which offers featues for those who can afford it

yusuf said:
All disk TV STB in India comes with only composite out which is quite lower quality - specially when watching on larger screen. This also contributes to grainy and not so sharp, faded color picture yu see on large screen.

In US, most STB comes with component video and s-video as minimum and newer HD STB are with HDMI. In India, it is not done for price consideration (I was design consultant for STB for one of the compnies and BOM is really low to offer all features). Hope they come up with multiple models someday which offers featues for those who can afford it

Any way to get around it...?

Hi,

just got a Panasonic HD Viera Plasma, its 1024x768 PV60H
and is excellent for SD signals. Very happy with the picture thru the set-top box. DVD not very happy as i expected more from Panasonic. If ne wants pics let me know i will post some.

Avoid plasma and go in for newer LCD models.
most of the major companies are phasing out plasma technology in favour of lcd (or its esoteric variants) since it is cheap to produce, maintain, and the process is more environment friendly. warranty and spare parts issues are bound to surface a year or so in the future in the case of plasma technology.

RE: Sansui
yes it is true Sansui is just a trade mark used by HK based trading co's mostly. The Golden age of Sansui was in the 1970's to early 1980's. during that time they were the best in audio equipment.
Their receivers / amps from that period of time still commands a premium in the audiophile market and speaking truly, their performance is still to be surpassed even with the advance in electronics in the last 25 years. The warmth, stage presence is lacking in most of the modern day equipments, i dont judge sound from specifications like THD, Frequency Response and other technical specifications.
Sadly Sansui could not cope up with the cut throat , price sensitive market conditions of the late 1980's - 1990's and had to close down.

Back