PC Peripherals Seasonic S12 II powering off entire room

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
I recommended my friend Seasonic S12 II 520 (active PFC), he was using CM EP 500. His config was i5 750, HD 5850. His home is 3 phase and PSU was directly connected to power socket.

He has been running his system fine for years, until last day when he upgraded to S12 II 520. That too ran fine for a day, and from today onward, the rooms circuit breaker started tripping as soon as he connect the PSU to power, no need to switch on the system either.

I suggested that he double check the earthing of the room as active pfc PSU will need good earthing as well as sine wave, and there was problem with the earthing, as he usually gets mild shock when touching the cabinet earlier (on EP 500). But he tried connecting to power socket of another room where earthing was OK, but still the PSU is making that room's MCB trip.

What can he do now to run the system. i suggested to call an electrician to check entire home's earthing, but that will take a day or two. please suggest guys.

Other appliances at home can create earth current loops. He can try switching off the fridge or other equipment to see if its causing any high voltage difference between earth and neutral.

Normally it should not be larger than 5V difference.

Whats the Rating of MCB used in his home??

1. The inrush current might be more for Seasonic 520.... Havent heard of such a problem with this PSU....

2. Also make sure that wiring in PC is done fine, coz a short can trip the MCB...

Just take out that PSU, short its green and black wires... and power up, check if it works or trips the MCB

A PSU in standby mode (PSU On, PC Off) will momentarily draw a surge of power when connected to a power source, while it charges the input caps. His circuit breaker could be getting overloaded by this surge, in which case he needs to shut off everything else in the room to confirm.

Else it could be that his PSU is faulty and short circuiting.

Edit:

@ point 2. above : If the internal wiring in the PC is messed up, a PSU with proper short-circuit protection (like the S12II ought to have) turns off itself, it doesn't pass it on to the circuit breaker.

He said, the MCP has rating of 63A, which i think is way too high to be overloaded by a 500W PSU. He took his PC to all other rooms in his house, and all of them trips except one socket, to which his fridge was connected.

Also he disconnected all loads off the PSU, and turned on by the green-black was and same results with all other wall sockets.

I ve no idea whats going on. btw, he said, he tried connecting his older EP500 PSU again, and its working flawlessly.

Once i had even worst experience with a VX 450, which finally burned my inverter
<
Hope iot wont be as bad as that.

The 63A one is probably the master. There will be another set below this for each individual room and would probably be rated at 6~10A. Did his PC function perfectly at the fridge terminal?

Now he says, its not turning on or braking the circuit via MCB anymore. Its acting as if dead, though his PC components are turning on ok with his older PSU. He just got it delivered on saturday, ie 28th from itwares.

Now what can he do? Can he ask for a DOA replacement, or probably look for some other model of PSU ? I have a fear, that its somehat similar to what happened with me with a VX 450 long ago, and finally fixed it by replacing the PSU with a tagan BZ 800, and the VX450 and S12 II 520 are based on similar ckts.

though i didnt had experience with seasonic, i was damn sure about its reliability, but things arent going nicely with a brand new piece.

What are the RMA procedures? And i guess he can go with the DOA procedures, as its been just 1 day since he got it. What what if the fresh piece after replacement starts the same problem ?

Seasonic India's QC seems to be iffy. Send it in for replacement.

You'd have to talk to ITWares about switching with another PSU. IMHO the Tagan isn't all that great either.

yup, but its the Tagan's BZ pipe rock series not the TG series. btw now using glacialtech GP 950AA.

ANyway ive asked him to check the PSU by shorting the pins at a friend's place tomorrow.

Back