Send pet abroad as cargo

Sei

Skilled
Has anyone here sent or knows anyone who has sent their pets abroad as cargo? I have a small cat and dog back in India and I want to get them here to Canada but I can't find reliable information online and my vet back in India doesn't have any clue.

This is a bit urgent as my parents are not being able to take care of both of them due to their own commitments.

Thanks!

@booo - Yeah, Canada is easy when it comes to importing pets. It's getting them out of India that is a bigger problem, unsurprisingly. I wanted to know the procedure first-hand from someone who has experienced it. I would have found out the process if I was there but my parents are having a hard time figuring it out.

@puns - Thanks, I've asked my parents to call them and enquire.

The bureaucracy in India is a pain in the ass to deal with.

We sent my friend's dog to US once. so I know process for US.

basically we needed to get doctor's certificate certifying that the dog was vaccinated according to the rules. Then took the dog to airport where there is a animal center which verified the dog's documents etc... after that you have to buy a kennel and then talk to the air lines.

We sent my friend's dog to US once. so I know process for US.

basically we needed to get doctor's certificate certifying that the dog was vaccinated according to the rules. Then took the dog to airport where there is a animal center which verified the dog's documents etc... after that you have to buy a kennel and then talk to the air lines.

That's the kind of information I was looking for! :)

Some questions -
1. Which airport? Mumbai?
2. Do we have to book an appointment at the animal center? I'm presuming that this is a Government animal center.
3. How did you go about talking to the airlines? I contacted Lufthansa and they said I will need to get in touch with an forwarder. I have contacted 3 of them and all of them have been pretty unhelpful. Either they want huge amounts of money or it's too much of a hassle for them to take it on, not sure.

If you can give me a breakdown of the timeline, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Hyderabad airport.
2. This would be govt center. http://www.hyderabad.aero/Animal-Quarantine-Facility-Inaugurated-at-RGIA.aspx Basically, for US you need a certificate from them. For canada I dont know.
3. basically you have to send dog as baggage with someone. otherwise there are some companies which take care of it for around ~2k usd I guess. best bet is to send the pet along with someone who is travelling to us. thats what we did. in your case Canada ofcourse.

Ideally you have to get your dog vaccinated and wait for 3 months and then take it to the center with the book which has the stickers and signatures of the local vet and then get the clearance cert. then you should be able to send the dog with someone and the airlines will allow the dog.

There you go... details of all the animal quarantine centers in airports. http://dahd.nic.in/dahd/WriteReadData/AQCS Stations Address, DDO Code 2.pdf

Last edited:
Back