Sending a real letter | Help

Did you write a personal physical letter in the past decade?

• Total voters
It's not that bad....
My gripe is primarily with pricing. I have no issues with parcels and all. We regularly send books to people across the world (I author test prep books), but sending a letter being so expensive is something I didn't expect.

@quaratineinthesejeans I use ink pens even otherwise. If not, I just use my several tablets, or the mechanical keyboards.

I generally write a lot, so I love all forms and keep experimenting too. Like I said elsewhere, I average about 2000 words a day.

Have you considered Aerogrammes? You may have to rewrite your letter again, though. I have no idea if they still exist - these used to be the cheapest option available many years ago, back during my long-gone pen-pal days.

You reminded of inland letters we used to communicate with relatives. I still have many of them saved.

2008ilc17.jpg

My gripe is primarily with pricing. I have no issues with parcels and all.

There's no real difference between letters and 'small packets', they're both treated/sorted and priced (almost) the same way. TLDR: It's Rs 27 for 20g and Rs 44 for 40g, to the US.

Letters are priced in bands of 20g, with Rs 20 for the first 20g and Rs 10 for additional 20g, this is the base pricing. For small packets, the pricing band is per 100g, with Rs 60 for the first 100g and Rs 45 for an additional 100g. Effectively, it's Rs 5 cheaper per 100g after the first 100g compared to letter. This pricing, whether letter or small packet, has a limit of 2kg.

Then there's air surcharge added. For the North America, it's Rs 7 per 20g. All international mail is Airmail these days. So for a 20g letter it's Rs 20 + 7. For 40g, it's Rs 20 + 10 + 7 + 7. Registered Post surcharge is Rs 70 on top of this.

These are the air surcharge rates per 20g for other regions:

SAARC - 2
Gulf - 3
Other Asian Countries - 4
Europe - 4
Africa - 5
North America & Australia - 7
South America - 9

However, recent hires at the post office computerized billing counters aren't familiar with 'Ordinary Post' or this pricing at all. It's only the veterans in the sorting room that know about it these days, which is probably why you were given such expensive options with astronomical delivery times. It's a pain to try and explain every time, so I just calculate at home and drop off in a post box instead.

We regularly send books to people across the world.

Book Post or 'Printed Papers' is a protected category that is slightly discounted by India Post. It's also given a high priority over Letter/Small Packet, in my experience (I primarily sell Indian prints of books).

Last edited:
However, recent hires at the post office computerized billing counters aren't familiar with 'Ordinary Post' or this pricing at all. It's only the veterans in the sorting room that know about it these days, which is probably why you were given such expensive options with astronomical delivery times. It's a pain to try and explain every time, so I just calculate at home and drop off in a post box instead.

I think it is so much this. And speedpost taking 20 days is insane! No wonder private courier companies are making a killing.

I think it is so much this. And speedpost taking 20 days is insane! No wonder private courier companies are making a killing.
One other factor could be the sheer vastness and diversity of India Post, going by the (largely heartening) experiences posted here.

My own experience has been varied. They have generally been poor down here in our small suburban town - have faced everything from damaged/delayed letters, rude/ignorant employees, and the post office frequently failing to restock stamps and stationery. It was markedly different during my years living in a proper city - everything pretty much the opposite, and also this strange feeling (what I then felt) of no longer having to worry about every letter I posted or were supposed to receive.

I posted an envelope from my town in Himachal (which is on a NH and not some interior area) on the 25th to Gurgaon via Speedpost and it still hasn't been delivered. Meanwhile Amazon delivered from Gurgaon to me within 3 days. Considering these standards, 20 days for international mail sound about right. Usually, it will take 2-3 days just to leave India.

Last edited:
Back