Audio Sennheiser HD598 or The Audio Technica M50X

Guys, i need your advice. I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and have narrowed my choice to the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Audio Technica ATH M50x. Which one would you suggest I go for? The Sennheisers are about 2.5K cheaper but the M50x comes with multiple cables etc. Any users of both here that would be able to guide me?

M50
-Pleather ear pads and closed back, ears get cooked after a couple of hours.
-Neutral sound with heavy emphasis on bass, go for it if you're a basshead and listen to a lot of electronic music.

-Light weight and velour pads make em super comfy and ideal for extended periods of usage.
-Open backed resulting in a better soundstage. Mids and highs are great but bass lacks punch.
-I'm usually not the one that prioritises form over function but these look like shit (imo).

They are very different from one another (open and closed back have their own pros and cons) and you really should audition em before buying to avoid disappointment.
You should also be looking at the DT990 pro which is another great pair at this range.

Used to own the 598's and still own M50. From the SQ perspective 598 is much better than the M50

M50
Has a v-shaped signature (mids are pretty recessed)
Has good thumping bass
Very uncomfortable to wear over long duration - The clamping force is very high despite trying all suggested online techniques
Narrower soundstage when I compare to other closed end headphones as well
Non Detachable cable
An amp/dac helps but certainly not necessary

Mids are forward , good treble and guitar dominant songs also sound amazing , lower on the bass side but considering these are opens cans I find the bass to be pretty good and very wide soundstage ( compared to the AD700 the bass is much more in quantity)
Very comfortable to wear for any duration (thanks to the light weight and velor pads)
Detachable cable
Would need an amp/dac to experience it in its full bliss
Leaks a lot of sound outside, so if that's an issue its a no-go

For me in particular HD 598 is much much better than the M50s overall. I found the M50 to be overhyped a little and the best closed cans I have found till date is Denon D1100 (had pathetic build quality , mine broke in 6 months flat for no fault of mine). For the discounted price of the HD 598 its a much better buy than the AD700 else at MSRP of HD 598 the AD700 gives better performance for the price you pay.

M50
-Pleather ear pads and closed back, ears get cooked after a couple of hours.
-Neutral sound with heavy emphasis on bass, go for it if you're a basshead and listen to a lot of electronic music.

-Light weight and velour pads make em super comfy and ideal for extended periods of usage.
-Open backed resulting in a better soundstage. Mids and highs are great but bass lacks punch.
-I'm usually not the one that prioritises form over function but these look like shit (imo).

They are very different from one another (open and closed back have their own pros and cons) and you really should audition em before buying to avoid disappointment.
You should also be looking at the DT990 pro which is another great pair at this range.

Are you talking about the looks of the original HD 598 or the HD 598 SE which was on sale on amazon ??. The current black one looks fine imo :)

I currently own the HD 598 (original) and have owned the M50. I agree with fLUX that the 598s are much much better (really). If you're using it at home, and don't care about sound leakage, they provide a far superior listening experience. They're an absolute steal at 6500/-. I also have the HD 650 (which are like 5x more expensive) and still prefer the 598 for most of the genres (and especially for long listening sessions/movies/TV Shows). The soundstage is superior to the 650 and far far better than the M50, but the M50 have a lot more bass (which I dislike personally).

Back