Server for a small office

kippu

Skilled
Please answer the following questions for others to help you out better. Delete whatever you feel is not required.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. --
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE marke
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Server
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. no

10. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. No

I am trying to spec a system for my friend whos opening a small office with ten people , The server is intended to act as a primary storage of all the files and intended to run 24x7 , i would need the harddrives to be on raid and hopefully they might backup every other week or so, the individual systems will also have hard drives , but they will also back it on the server

my idea is to install windows basic server software and run a either an i3 or a similar amd with couple of 1 tb harddrives in raid, or am i totally wrong in this approach?

thanks

i3 2100-6.2k

Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Corsair Value Ram 4GB-1.4k

Segate 1TB 7200RPM-5.5k[It's upto you how many you want to get]

Fsp Sagaii 400W-1.8k

Dell ST2220L-8.5k OR Benq G2220HD-6.9k[Monitor if you want one]

Hope this helps.
<

Hmmm... I will recommend something on a different line for the server, more cores will immensely help in the server --

For Intel based Server RIG --

Intel Core i7 2600 ~15500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5400/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/- [the 1333 MHz RAM will cause a bandwidth issue, higher frequency RAM modules in a dual-channel configuration will provide optimum throughput]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~5500/-

Corsair VX 450W ~3500/- [I am sure you will expand into more hard-drives on the server]

Dell IN2030M ~6500/- [a 20" screen will be good enough for the server technician to access the mainframe / data]

AMD RIG --

AMD Phenom IIx6 1090T ~9500/- OR AMD FX-8120 ~10500/- [the extra cores on both these designs will help in the server processes]

Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 ~9500/-

AMD HD 6670 ~5500/-

[rest configuration same as above]

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

VX450 is unavailable in the market so op should get Seasonic S12ii 430W-3k OR CM GX450W-3.4k.i7 is a good choice if budget is not a problem,since op hasn't mentioned it.
Hmmm... I will recommend something on a different line for the server, more cores will immensely help in the server --

For Intel based Server RIG --

Intel Core i7 2600 ~15500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5400/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3400/- [the 1333 MHz RAM will cause a bandwidth issue, higher frequency RAM modules in a dual-channel configuration will provide optimum throughput]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~5500/-

Corsair VX 450W ~3500/- [I am sure you will expand into more hard-drives on the server]

Dell IN2030M ~6500/- [a 20" screen will be good enough for the server technician to access the mainframe / data]

AMD RIG --

AMD Phenom IIx6 1090T ~9500/- OR AMD FX-8120 ~10500/- [the extra cores on both these designs will help in the server processes]

Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 ~9500/-

AMD HD 6670 ~5500/-

[rest configuration same as above]

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

It's better to get Seasonc S12ii 520W-3.6k than VX450W-3.7k,prime must be having rare stock of it so he's overpriced it.

Makes sense, you are the Bombay guy. OP should contact you on this call. Cheers!!

And yes, if OP doesn't have a cap on budget as such, I would recommend that he went for the Seasonic model, better yet would be if he gets the X560W SMPS, Gold rated with modular cables.

i7 and x6? are you people serious

intel dual core cpu. gc620 i think is more than enough.

compatible board depending on number of sata ports you need

4gb corsair ram ddr3.

hdds depending on the raid config you need

psu depending on the hdd you get.

dlink gigabit lan cards x 2 or x 3 depending on the setup you want to configure.

install freenas

or you could buy something like this.

http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=id&code=8&id=585

Back