Sharing bsnl modem on PC and Laptop

dsarosh

Adept
Hi,
Hope I am posting in the correct section.

I am planning to buy a small laptop like the Acer One a few months down the line. I currently have a PC and a bsnl 512kbps connection. I use the lan cable to connect the modem to my pc.
My modem is the cheapest and smallest model available, and it has the option to connect via lan or usb cables. When I buy the laptop, can I use the usb cable to connect to the laptop while keeping the lan cable in my pc?

That means, I want my pc to be connected to the internet via the lan cable, and also the laptop to be connected via the usb cable.
I'm just curious to know if this can be done, or are there any issues with this.
Thanks.

hii, dont know if together usb and lan will work,

but i have a better option..which i use.

BSNL type II modem (with wifi), connect pc to lan and laptop through wifi.

and setup router to dial connection..that way net works on both.

and best part i can access my pc from laptop..even directly watch movies,listen music , which are stored on PC directly on laptop.

Ah I had faced a similar situation where I had to share my connection with another two comps.

There are 3 methods which I have used in ppoe mode.

1. Connect via usb and it will install another usb lan connection. And you are online. Bridge your network to the usb modem network. Now connect a cable from your lan to your laptop. (The only problem I faced with this is that the usb network from the modem would freeze sometimes and the connection would go down.)

2. Get another lan card. Now that you have two lan ports its extremely easy. Connect modem via lan into one and connect laptop to the other. In network connections bridge both and you have net on both machines.

3. Get a network hub and put bsnl connection in there and any comps that want to connect to the net in there too. you should get automatic ip and everyone can browse the net. :)

Back