Shipping of heavy and delicate things

nick2012

Adept
Hey guys
As I dont know its the right place to post this thing or not. Mods can move this thread to the right place.
I am about to ship my ps3.
And this is the first time I am shipping this much heavy and delicate thing.
Which is the safest shipping service??
And how to pack the ps3??
I asked the dtdc guy and he told me they will pack it but it'll take extra 500.:(
As I dont have any box or material for packing.
Should I do this?? Or any other way??

What generation PS3 is this? The first gen. phat? The second gen. slim? Or the third gen. super slim? Asking this because if it is the first gen. console, prepare to do some hefty packaging using bubble wrap/styrofoam - the console is heavy and takes up some space compared to the later versions.

- Get a 2-3 m roll of bubble wrap and roll it all over the console in both the directions so no side is left exposed. Tape it properly and generously.

- Wrap the controller in some bubble wrap as well. The cables can be put in a plastic cover.

- Get a cardboard box - look around if you have an old unwanted box lying in your house else get one from the local market. Usually packers and movers have boxes of all sizes folded and kept ready for dispatch. Buy one from these folks - costs some 30-40 Rs.

- Some styrofoam/thermocol sheets may greatly help in securing the console within the box - make it a snug fit so it doesn’t move around. Courier guys toss around the consignments during the transit so this will prevent any damage. Tape the box all around.

- Write/print the consignee’s address as well as yours and stick it neatly on the box - stick the tape over the address sheet all over so the bare paper isn't exposed. Monsoons are on - you don’t want the address to be washed away in the rains.

- Write/print on the faces of the box - ‘Fragile - Handle with care!’. The transportation guys may take notice of this and handle the shipment a lot less worse.

- Write/print a declaration letter stating the console and the accessories are being sent to your relative/friend as a gift and is not meant for resale. This is to not attract sales taxes or octroi.

I choose DTDC for all my consignments and they have been pretty good. On a couple of occasions, the consignments were delayed by a day at the most but otherwise they were fine. YMMV. Good luck!

Back