Health & Fitness Shoes for overpronation in India

Hey guys,

So I am suffering with this ailment - over-pronation wherein I place majority of my weight on the inner side of my feet. Recently I am experiencing some heel pain too so looking for shoes which can provide support for heels and inner feet area.

I was surprised to see that I couldn't find anything to suit my needs in major brands except ASICS. And boy are they expensive. The store guy popped up Kayano 25 and other models which are above 10k (~13k). That's really out of my budget.

I started to look around for alternatives and found that Kalenji brand from Decathalon also offer shoes for correcting over-pronation. The model name is Kiprun Long and costs 5.6k. That's still a bit of stretch but I can still go with that. However are these shoes good ? Anyone who has used them ?

So looking for suggestions / recommendations for this particular model or any other alternative which can suit my needs as below:

1. I am not a runner. I don't think I am ever going to run a marathon. That's because I weight ~95kg (6 ft height) and don't wanna risk busting my knees.
2. My main use would be walking around (~15k - 20k steps in a day) and skipping. I am picking up on this sport and would really like to get better at it (though not aiming for pro level or double unders)
3. Good cushioning for my in-feet and heel.
4. Preferably below 5k.

I believe Asics would be an overkill for my usage. Really confused and I need to buy shoes asap.

P.S: The branded shoes such as ASICS, NIKE etc are offered on huge discounts online. Is it safe to buy from there or they are replicas ?

Unless you have some specific medical condition, trying to correct overpronation using shoes is a bad idea. I wouldn't even classify it as an ailment. In most cases it is caused by weak calves which can't handle the landing shock. Overpronation is when the arch collapses (because of weak calves) causing the heel to hit the ground hard.

I used to run half marathons and cycled through more than a dozen pairs from different brands before realizing that the problem was not in my feet. Now I use Nike Free and couldn't be happier. I stopped running because of injuries. But if were to run, I would pick up a neutral shoe.

You should focus instead on strengthening your calves, weightlifting (esp glutes/abs) for general strength and posture, and maybe shed a few kilos.

Pain in your heels could also indicate vit-D deficiency (or maybe spurs). Get yourself checked and take supplements if necessary.

Last edited:
Running shoes in the 8999-9999 Mrp are generally good (ASICS, sachony, Newton, etc.). All them come to at least 50% discount during the brand discount season. The sale dates vary for each brand. Even if they are one year old they are reliable.

Make sure that their line up offer is same as international market.

Try them out. Most have some quirks which might be an irritant if you do not know it beforehand. Don’t buy your first try out from online stores. You will end up being confused. Sketchers have a good offline network. Reliance footprint has ASICS + one brand which keeps changing every year.

Ps: I haven’t tried puma Nike or Adidas as I find their range to be too wide for me to decide. So above may not apply to them.

Last edited:
Unless you have some specific medical condition, trying to correct overpronation using shoes is a bad idea. I wouldn't even classify it as an ailment. In most cases it is caused by weak calves which can't handle the landing shock. Overpronation is when the arch collapses (because of weak calves) causing the heel to hit the ground hard.

I used to run half marathons and cycled through more than a dozen pairs from different brands before realizing that the problem was not in my feet. Now I use Nike Free and couldn't be happier. I stopped running because of injuries. But if were to run, I would pick up a neutral shoe.

You should focus instead on strengthening your calves, weightlifting (esp glutes/abs) for general strength and posture, and maybe shed a few kilos.

Pain in your heels could also indicate vit-D deficiency (or maybe spurs). Get yourself checked and take supplements if necessary.

Hey thanks.
So who do I see ? physio or ortho ?
For my heel pain, physio mentioned that I have over pronation and she suggested to use ortho insoles. Should I get a second recommendation ?

Hey thanks.
So who do I see ? physio or ortho ?
For my heel pain, physio mentioned that I have over pronation and she suggested to use ortho insoles. Should I get a second recommendation ?

First, fix the heel pain. You should see an ortho for that. Ask them specifically about vit-d and heel-spurs.

Next step, gym. Pick up some iron. Spend a few months with a good instructor. Doing it wrong can injure you. (youtube is also a big help).

Last edited:
Running shoes in the 8999-9999 Mrp are generally good (ASICS, sachony, Newton, etc.). All them come to at least 50% discount during the brand discount season. The sale dates vary for each brand. Even if they are one year old they are reliable.

Make sure that their line up offer is same as international market.

Try them out. Most have some quirks which might be an irritant if you do not know it beforehand. Don’t buy your first try out from online stores. You will end up being confused. Sketchers have a good offline network. Reliance footprint has ASICS + one brand which keeps changing every year.

Ps: I haven’t tried puma Nike or Adidas as I find their range to be too wide for me to decide. So above may not apply to them.

The point is I am bit hesitant to buy these online due to replicas circulating around. Dont want to pay that much for a junk.[DOUBLEPOST=1540204792][/DOUBLEPOST]
First, fix the heel pain. You should see an ortho for that. Ask them specifically about vit-d and heel-spurs.

Next step, gym. Pick up some iron. Spend a few months with a good instructor. Doing it wrong can injure you. (youtube is also a big help).

That helps.
I hope other members could also pitch in with their experience !!

Hey guys,

So I am suffering with this ailment - over-pronation wherein I place majority of my weight on the inner side of my feet. Recently I am experiencing some heel pain too so looking for shoes which can provide support for heels and inner feet area.

Internet based self-diagnosis :facepalm:

One more thing. As a start exercise, try forefoot running. Pretty much running with your paws. 2-3 mins on a treadmill to start with. It will bring some spring back to the calves.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I was surprised to see that I couldn't find anything to suit my needs in major brands except ASICS. And boy are they expensive. The store guy popped up Kayano 25 and other models which are above 10k (~13k). That's really out of my budget.

I started to look around for alternatives and found that Kalenji brand from Decathalon also offer shoes for correcting over-pronation. The model name is Kiprun Long and costs 5.6k. That's still a bit of stretch but I can still go with that. However are these shoes good ? Anyone who has used them ?

So looking for suggestions / recommendations for this particular model or any other alternative which can suit my needs as below:

1. I am not a runner. I don't think I am ever going to run a marathon. That's because I weight ~95kg (6 ft height) and don't wanna risk busting my knees.
2. My main use would be walking around (~15k - 20k steps in a day) and skipping. I am picking up on this sport and would really like to get better at it (though not aiming for pro level or double unders)
3. Good cushioning for my in-feet and heel.
4. Preferably below 5k.

I believe Asics would be an overkill for my usage. Really confused and I need to buy shoes asap.

P.S: The branded shoes such as ASICS, NIKE etc are offered on huge discounts online. Is it safe to buy from there or they are replicas ?

Never buy any kind of shoes from Decathlon. The regular size you wear will never fit and always you have to go for two sizes up with decathlon marketed shoes. The shoes I had bought had a burning sensation in my feet and I returned it after 6 months (yes 6 months). Their CS is top notch. No questions asked but they will only exchange the shoes and I don't find any of their shoes to be of good quality. ASCIS, New Balance are top quality and the price they command is well worth with the quality it comes. As for online buying I always have a doubt if these shoes are of good quality or original.

Internet based self-diagnosis :facepalm:

No sir.
This was said by my Physio & then confirmed by guys at ASICS, Decathalon and other stores where the sales rep sounded quite knowledgeable.
However, as people have suggested I will visit Ortho too and then take a final call on this.[DOUBLEPOST=1540276472][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not sure what you meant. I have written that you shouldn’t try it online although for different reasons.

My bad mate. Agree with your thoughts.[DOUBLEPOST=1540276518][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can just buy the ortho special sole to balance your foot. Will cost wayyyy cheaper.

Yep true. Exploring that option too.

Back