Short sitcom suggestions welcome with less than 10 seasons

So, everyone is talking about the Friends reunion. I haven't seen it yet but will do so this weekend. Comedy series and sitcoms are something that most people love to watch. Even people who don’t like watching a lot of shows or web series can actually enjoy watching shows of the comedy genre. I know that I enjoy shows of this genre immensely. I am generally a very slow watcher and I just cannot binge-watch shows and finish an entire season watching the computer non-stop for nine or ten hours. I just cannot function like that. Call me old-fashioned but seeing people binge-watching shows all night long makes me miss the television.

How I Met Your Mother- This is a pretty old one and I actually watched this in high school when it used to air on the telly in the evening everyday at a fixed time slot. Ted Mosby and his friends and their misadventures made up the show and although the last season seemed a bit rushed and the ending was not entirely good, the show will always be a cause of nostalgia for me.

Schitt’s Creek- This one I actually watched last year when the pandemic forced us to shut ourselves in the house. I watched it on Netflix and man, I think it is one of my favourite if not the favourite, comedy centric shows I have watched. The writing is really good and so are the actors. I can say that every character did their part so convincingly that that is what made me adore this show. I have watched it more than twice already.

Friends- Well, this one doesn’t need any introductions, because this is the biggest show of all time. I have lost count of the number of times I have watched this show from start to finish completely.
These are some sitcoms I love and have rewatched over and over again. Feel free to suggest more.

If you like subtle laid back humor, I would highly recommend Corner Gas (Original).

Well, you missed the biggest two of all - Seinfeld & The Office. Both are comedy (akin to Friends).

Apart from that, there's also That 70's Show & 30 Rock. Also comedy.

For serious emotions & drama, you can watch One Tree Hill. Used to love it back in my teen days. And then there's detective ones like Castle (only first couple of seasons for Castle was good).

Well, you missed the biggest two of all - Seinfeld & The Office. Both are comedy (akin to Friends).

Apart from that, there's also That 70's Show & 30 Rock. Also comedy.

For serious emotions & drama, you can watch One Tree Hill. Used to love it back in my teen days. And then there's detective ones like Castle (only first couple of seasons for Castle was good).
Have watched The Office and One Tree Hill and Castle. Will check out the others, Thanks so much!

If you like subtle laid back humor, I would highly recommend Corner Gas (Original).

This looks interesting will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you want shows that aren't written with the aim of stretching out the cash run to as long as possible, look into British shows.

For example, Coupling, the UK version, is a hilarious show with 6 or so episodes each series and 4 series total.
Coupling has been on my watch list I think I'll start now. Thanks!

Sitcoms
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (7 seasons)
Rules of Engagement (7 seasons)
Curb Your Enthusiasm - can't really call it a sitcom but still (10 seasons)

Prank/ Parody shows:
Impractical Jokers (9 seasons)
Nathan For You (4 seasons)
Da Ali G Show (2 seasons)

Comedy- Drama
Psych (8 seasons)

You want short and sweet stuff? Watch british comedies like the Office (UK edition) or The IT Crowd etc.

I love IT Crowd. Your avatar also reminded me of Blackadder, a classic British comedy. UK shows have a much more simplistic and charming appeal to them compared to the US ones.
Some of my favs include: Black Books, Coupling, Father Ted, and Jeeves and Wooster.

My current favourite comedy series is What We Do in the Shadows. Matt Barry is a goldmine. I love that guy. He was also in IT Crowd.

Ignoring the obvious ones, few suggestions from my end that can be explored:
Outnumbered
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
Bored to Death
Extras
Veep
An Idiot Abroad

These are all small series with not too many episodes per season. Not all of them are sitcoms but are all in comedy genre. If you want to try something entirely different Archer is worth a shout too.

There are always old classics that you can rely on like Seinfeld, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, MASH etc.

Last edited:
The Good Place - 4 seasons. The pacing of the series is amazing.

F is for Family - 4 seasons. If you're interested in animated comedy.

Malcolm in the Middle - 7 seasons. Early 2000s family comedy sitcom that aged really well.

Also +1 to Silicon Valley

Not sitcoms but if you're looking for watch some light hearted comedy I'd Highly recommend checking out some British Panel Shows. Most are available for free on YouTube.

Some recommendations:
Taskmaster
Would I lie to you
8 out of 10 cats does countdown
QI

Wow! There are so many suggestions and I'm definitely going to watch these shows. I'm personally loving the British comedy genre, much more to my taste. Thanks a lot for all these lovely recommendations!

Most famous and well known shows everyone is already aware of.
These are some different ones I liked.
Comedy:
Arrested Development
The Spy (UK show)
Episodes (UK show - starring Matt LeBlanc)

Thriller/Murder:
The Killing (highly recommended, Spoiler: Killer is revealed by end of 2nd season and it still manages to hold you till end), avoid season 3 & 4 though

Horror:
The Fades (UK show)

Cant recommend "The IT Crowd" enough. Just 4 seasons and it is slapstick comedy.

For something balanced try "Scrubs". Only 8 seasons (please ignore 9th one). It is a fun series about couple of interns in a hospital and has both, a dash of humour and philosophical takeaways at the same time.

Back