Should I but Iphone 3G ?

I was offered an Iphone 3G for rs6000. It is an year old. Laminated both sides so no scratches on the body and screen.

Is this a good deal?

Or should I go for a Wildfire S which I am planning to buy next month start?

An year old iPhone 3G for 6000 is not a bad deal at all. But, it's way too obsolete now. If that's fine for you, then you can buy it. But Wildfire S is superior in HW wise. A lot superior.

Check the phone yourself, check for any issues. Camera, Battery Back up, Screen response, speed etc. If you are fine, then get it.

If you are thinking of buying A new Wildfire S which costs 13.3k then it would be better if you increase your budget by 1k and buy Motorola Defy which is much more superior than Wildfire S

Obviously Wildfire S is better to invest than Iphone 3g. Hardware wise Wildfire S is better in every way than Iphone 3g.

Lets compare Wildfire S and Iphone 3g (Courtesy of GSM Arena)

Display:

Wildfire S - TFT capacitive touchscreen/256K colors/320 x 480 pixels/3.2 inches, Gorilla glass

Iphone 3g - TFT capacitive touchscreen/16M colors/320 x 480 pixels/3.5 inches

Advantage - HTC Wildfire S because of Gorilla Glass. While 16M in Iphone would sound big deal, let me remind you that for smaller screen 256k colors does the job.

Processor/RAM:

Wildfire S - 600MHz Snapdragon MSM7227 CPU, Adreno 200 GPU & 512 MB RAM

Apple Iphone 3g - ARM 11 412 MHz, PowerVR MBX-Lite graphics & 128 MB RAM

Advantage - While we can argue that you cannot compare processor and ram between two different OS, we can clearly see that HTC Wildfire S is much better than Iphone 3g

Camera:

Wildfire S - 5 MP Camera, LED Flash

Iphone 3g - 2 MP Camera, No LED Flash

Advantage - Clearly HTC Wildfire S

Email:

Wildfire S - Push Email, Email, IM, SMS, MMS

Iphone 3g - Email, SMS, MMS

Advantage - Wildfire S with Push Email option

Now like "Hades" have mentioned, if you are planning to buy Wildfire S. Why not pay up to get Defy? Here's why:

1) Defy cost only 1 - 2K more depending on where you buy it. Even it might sell for same price at 13.3k at some locations.

2) It has 800 mhz processor which is easily overclocked to 1 ghz and used by members here. So this puts this phone into completely different echelon compared to Wildfire S. RAM is same.

3) Screen size is 3.7 inches in Defy compared to 3.2 inches in Wildfire S. You might think its only .5 inches, but trust me it is a big difference.

4) Excellent ROM Support from XDA developers (If you are into custom modding)

5) With custom modding you can record 720p videos with 5 MP camera and LED flash that comes with Defy.

6) One of the main reason why Defy is popular is its long lasting ruggedness. That is right, it is rugged, water proof, dust proof and will last longer than any other handsets in the market with even heavy usage. That is why most people buy it so that they can hold on to it for longer period and also at the same time enjoy android experience.

At the end, it is your choice. But I would completely discount Iphone 3g, Unless you want to buy it for brand. Between Wildfire S and Defy, clearly Defy would be better choice.

LOL, I don't understand why you would compare both. iPhone 3g is at 6K & Wildfire S is more than double of that !

It is clear that Wildfire surely has great HW compared to iPhone, but it all comes to OP's necessities. An iOS running device @ 6k [with call facility,] is not a bad deal IMO.

An iOS running device @ 6k [with call facility,] is not a bad deal IMO.

Apple has dropped iOS update support for iPhone 3G so no point in suggesting OP to go for an obsolete device just because of brand name...

@OP

I am pretty sure the guy who is selling you this phone just want to get rid of it... It was a great phone few years back but not any more... :)

Hades. said:
@OP

I am pretty sure the guy who is selling you this phone just want to get rid of it... It was a great phone few years back but not any more... :)

The guy is an apple Fanboi! He wants to switch to Iphone 4 ASAP , so he is selling.

Okay so decided against Iphone 3G. It is good but it'll soon be obsolete so not interested anymore.

Regarding Defy and WS:

I've tried both and both are good. But I like the compact design of WS. I know Defy is better in almost all things but somehow I like WS more

Though I'm still very confused and yet to decide between Defy and WS (That's why postponing my purchase to next month).

Back