Should I close my PSN Plus account?

Hi,
Since quite a few years I have been having psn plus account and with hundreds of games. 95% I have not even played. Not getting time and also since in travelling work my ps4 mostly stays at home.

I have stacked it till this year so by december 2022 it will come to end.
I was thinking should I stop it now since I also have xbox ultimate and I was planning to invest on xbox series s or x (second hand maybe or unless get a very good deal) I am not in hurry but I was thinking of investing only on one system now .

So need advice should I stop the psn plus? I know i will loose all those games but I dont even have to time play most of them anyways and with xbox ultimate pass I think I can keep going for few years easily.

Please share your opinion if it is wise idea to close the psn plus account?

I don't support or recommend subscription services, especially for games. Yes, in movies, it can work, since you'll only be spending two-three hours of your life. But, games are a different mode of entertainment. The reason is because, you cannot expect a game to finish within mere 2-3 hours, unless its a barebones indie title. Hence, you'll be spending more time thinking about what games to play, so that you get your money's worth, rather than actually playing & enjoying a decent game.

These game subscription services mostly have filler content with good games (that are worth your time) fewer and far in between. For instance, how many good AAA games does the Xbox Game Pass will receive in 2022? The answer will be 3 (Redfall, Sniper Elite 5 and Plague Tale Requiem). That's just shows how wasteful these services are.

Moreover, you'll be spending more money, without owning any of them? What if you want to play that game again? Unless you continue your subs, you can't play it again.

My suggestion would be stop subscribing to game services if you're not a regular gamer. Steam these days have massive sales going on throughout the year, so you don't need to wait for summer/winter sales. Only buy the games that interests you and in that way, you'll not only own the game for the foreseeable future but also make good use of your investment.

I too am against most kind of subscription services, specially games. But AFAIK, you don't lose the games. New games won't be added to your account but old ones will be there and you can play them when you subscribe to PSN again. I'm not 100% sure though.

Hi,
Since quite a few years I have been having psn plus account and with hundreds of games. 95% I have not even played. Not getting time and also since in travelling work my ps4 mostly stays at home.

I have stacked it till this year so by december 2022 it will come to end.
I was thinking should I stop it now since I also have xbox ultimate and I was planning to invest on xbox series s or x (second hand maybe or unless get a very good deal) I am not in hurry but I was thinking of investing only on one system now .

So need advice should I stop the psn plus? I know i will loose all those games but I dont even have to time play most of them anyways and with xbox ultimate pass I think I can keep going for few years easily.

Please share your opinion if it is wise idea to close the psn plus account?
Keep psn plus .. upgrade to the subscription (which launches in India day after tomorrow)

I got the Xbox x solely for the gamepass subscription and as luck would have it, Sony announced theirs within a month of that. Lol

Anyway, Xbox x is definitely very good, esp if you are into online multiplayer and FPSs.

However, if you are into single player storyline games, the ps5 has a much, and I mean much better library.

I am definitely taking the psn deluxe subscription and in two minds whether to keep the series X or to sell it off.

I don't support or recommend subscription services, especially for games. Yes, in movies, it can work, since you'll only be spending two-three hours of your life. But, games are a different mode of entertainment. The reason is because, you cannot expect a game to finish within mere 2-3 hours, unless its a barebones indie title. Hence, you'll be spending more time thinking about what games to play, so that you get your money's worth, rather than actually playing & enjoying a decent game.

These game subscription services mostly have filler content with good games (that are worth your time) fewer and far in between. For instance, how many good AAA games does the Xbox Game Pass will receive in 2022? The answer will be 3 (Redfall, Sniper Elite 5 and Plague Tale Requiem). That's just shows how wasteful these services are.

Moreover, you'll be spending more money, without owning any of them? What if you want to play that game again? Unless you continue your subs, you can't play it again.

My suggestion would be stop subscribing to game services if you're not a regular gamer. Steam these days have massive sales going on throughout the year, so you don't need to wait for summer/winter sales. Only buy the games that interests you and in that way, you'll not only own the game for the foreseeable future but also make good use of your investment.
I’m a little selective about what games I will like and play. Have wasted enough and more good money on titles that I played for an hour (or few), closed and never picked again.

So a subscription service, at least for people like me offers incredible VFM over outright purchases.

I’m a little selective about what games I will like and play. Have wasted enough and more good money on titles that I played for an hour (or few), closed and never picked again.

So a subscription service, at least for people like me offers incredible VFM over outright purchases.
I'm not sure you're accustomed to Steam. Most games (apart from a few publishers) come with regional pricing. So, a newly released game costing $60 elsewhere (and on consoles) will cost around $13-15 in the Indian Steam store. Hence, you are already paying less.

And then you have multiple sales going on throughout the year, providing games at dirt cheap prices. Plenty games like Doom Eternal, Resident Evil Remake 2/3, Halo MCC, NFS Heat, Days Gone, etc. goes for less than $10-20.

And still if you want refunds for such dirt cheap prices, Steam has a no-question 2-hour/14-day (whichever is earlier) refund policy. Unless you try to game/misuse the refund system, Steam always has your back.

So, I'm not sure anyone with a straight face can say a subscription service is more "VFM" than what is offered by Steam currently.

I too am against most kind of subscription services, specially games. But AFAIK, you don't lose the games. New games won't be added to your account but old ones will be there and you can play them when you subscribe to PSN again. I'm not 100% sure though.
That's my point. You have to remain as a subscriber to be able to play those older titles, which means you own nothing.

That's my point. You have to remain as a subscriber to be able to play those older titles, which means you own nothing.
Yes, we own nothing. But instead of keeping on the subscription for years, we can get one month / three month PSN when we have free time/plan on gaming. It would be cheaper that way. I think @solo_wing is under the impression that he will have to continue the subscription streak, otherwise he would lose all his accumulated games. I might have misinterpreted though.

I'm not sure you're accustomed to Steam. Most games (apart from a few publishers) come with regional pricing. So, a newly released game costing $60 elsewhere (and on consoles) will cost around $13-15 in the Indian Steam store. Hence, you are already paying less.

And then you have multiple sales going on throughout the year, providing games at dirt cheap prices. Plenty games like Doom Eternal, Resident Evil Remake 2/3, Halo MCC, NFS Heat, Days Gone, etc. goes for less than $10-20.

And still if you want refunds for such dirt cheap prices, Steam has a no-question 2-hour/14-day (whichever is earlier) refund policy. Unless you try to game/misuse the refund system, Steam always has your back.

So, I'm not sure anyone with a straight face can say a subscription service is more "VFM" than what is offered by Steam currently.

You are assuming that user has , or wants to use a PC for games.

While this isn’t a thread for PC vs consoles, let me just say that as an ex PC gamer, I have no interest in returning to using PCs for games unless the whole PC gaming ecosystem and hardware pricing changes drastically.

I am not sure if i get your second point on owning the title. At least for me (and likely a majority of users), I am simply interested in having a license while I play (and hopefully finish ) the game. Why would I want a perpetual license to a game unless collecting digital perpetual license is a hobby of mine?

Can you buy games for consoles via Steam?
Because the question here is not about PC gaming, but console gaming. So your example /solution won't work for the issue at hand.
The OP has a pretty decent specced gaming laptop. Hence, Steam gaming won't be a problem, unless he has other plans. So, consider my suggestion as a way to convince him to ditch costly subscription services on consoles.

I am not sure if i get your second point on owning the title. At least for me (and likely a majority of users), I am simply interested in having a license while I play (and hopefully finish ) the game. Why would I want a perpetual license to a game unless collecting digital perpetual license is a hobby of mine?
Collecting digital perpetual license isn't a hobby. It's a way of preserving games.
For instance, multiple games over the years have got delisted from Steam, but owners who owned them, can still play them from their Steam library.

So, if you're not emotionally attached to gaming, then that nostalgia trip might not be for you.

The OP has a pretty decent specced gaming laptop. Hence, Steam gaming won't be a problem, unless he has other plans. So, consider my suggestion as a way to convince him to ditch costly subscription services on consoles.

Collecting digital perpetual license isn't a hobby. It's a way of preserving games.
For instance, multiple games over the years have got delisted from Steam, but owners who owned them, can still play them from their Steam library.

So, if you're not emotionally attached to gaming, then that nostalgia trip might not be for you.
This has nothing to do with emotional attachments. Its a purely objective call.
The way I see it, a subscription lets me try out far more games , and zero down on the ones I like as against outright purchases.

Gaming preferences are more subjective than any other hobby and the only way to tell if you like a game or not is to try it. YMMV as a phrase is absolutely apt for games.
e.g. Control has excellent reviews and the gameplay looks fantastic on video reviews - but it got really repetitive for me after 3-4 hours of gameplay and I simply couldn't continue any more.

If I really, and I mean really want to go back to an old game that has per chance dropped out of a service, i always have the option of purchasing it outright elsewhere (either physical or digital.)
And by that time, the prices have usually dropped to very low levels anyway.

To me, and many others, a subscription like gamepass has really helped in trying new games (which I wouldn't have otherwise) and reducing expenses at the same time - and I plan to take PSN deluxe at launch tonight based on the very positive experience from gamepass.

Calling them wasteful without actually trying them is unfair if you ask me :)

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply. Thanks everyone who adviced.

I am now a budget gamer and want to cut my cost to minimum and get maximum out of it .

Having decent pc laptop I can run most of the current games at decent specs and if I do get xbox I think with gamepass ultimate I can enjoy latest games too.

For me keeping psn is not poor idea as with little time I can either enjoy pan plus or xbox ultimate pass( which works on pc too)

Sadly I might loose all my psn games but again no time to go back and play 90% of them.

Basically I feel stupid to have been investing on psn plus...I hardly played more than few games that were offered .

Don't want to repeat same mistake so since I already got Xbox game ultimate for next 3 years ...better save money and ditch psn.

Thanks again guys.

If I stop the service I can no longer download early psn plus games , right?
Suppose you have accumulated 100 games in your PS account and now you have stopped subscribing.

Then you decide next year to resubscribe, then you will have those 100 games still in your account, right?

Suppose you have accumulated 100 games in your PS account and now you have stopped subscribing.

Then you decide next year to resubscribe, then you will have those 100 games still in your account, right?
Yes that will happen but I will have to resubscribe and that's the point .. I will again have to pay .

I don't see myself resubscribing for a long time .

Back