Sify .... Capping Download Speeds

TheBroker

Skilled
Sify now caps my download speeds......if they were doing this they shud have told this

Now getting poor browsing & download speeds ...as low as 6 kbps and even worse browsing speeds @ my 64 kbps package ....I am getting irritaated and angry on the Sify guys .......I am feeling cheated...want to now really do some damage to the Sify Office :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wht shud i do now u guys tell(See the poll)

PS: Does anyone have any idea how 2 make small hand grenades:p:pPM me

oft repeated question, but are you getting 6Kilobytes or kilobits per second?
if it is 6 Kilobytes on a 64kbps then I suppose it is okay...if it is 6 kilobits, then no way you should continue with this connection

kilobytes ........no way i wud usee kilobits :O:O but still i shud have been informed that speeds will be capped from now on.........isnt this attitude stinky :mad::mad::mad:

Dude the thing is not of money ...the thing is something called morality which is negative with the sify people.......

Well, u see they are only required to give u 8, and so they give u 6 instead (They operate on a best efforts basis).
Actually this is one thing TRAI has to look into.
They define bband as 256kbps but what about actual performance? Suppose I only claim 256 kbps but don't deliver? A lot of people have been facing that of late with Exatt.
That is why leased lines have various clauses in contracts depending on guarantees made - 95%, 90%, best effort etc.

On a 64kbps connection, 6KB/s is decent enough after considering the overheards.

You should probably get a faster connection if you want more speed.

64kilobits/sec = max 8 kilobytes/sec and after overheards 6-7 is what you would get at the most.

has anyone used the sify night only unlimited connections ? they didnt mention any limit for this at their site

AAARGGH! Sify has infected the TV as well :no: :no:
Grrrhh, my bro stopped me from putting an end to my little TV when the ad came :S , that is how much i hate them.

No download limits on the night connection.
And ya 6KBps is what you normally get on 64K connection. Ideally it should be around 8 but you know theorotical things and practical is different.
And what do u mean ? if its 64K connection they are gona cap it at 64Kbps or 8KBps. Thats obvious. Did you expect full 80KBps speed?

Fourth option.... Learn the difference between bits and bytes before posting rants on TE ;). 6KB/s is good enuf on a 64kbps line.

It may sond good but i used to get 10.5-11.5 kBps as my download speeds earlier on my 48 kBps SIfy (sometimes in nights it used to go upto 50 kBps)

The thing is that they started capping and didnt even bother to inform me.....i gess some more rants over a few more tech forums which i will find against Sify and ill mail the linkz of all of 'em to the customercare @ sify . com for sure......have had enuf of Sify.....the guys are now gonna get lots of heat from me.....they have 2 face the music for now :|:|

they were capping it before too.
Some glitches at the cablewala end sometimes used to give better speeds.
That dosent mean you should expect it to continue.
It still happens to me sometimes. 2days ago my download speeds jumped to 88KBps and completed my entire Linux distro download in 1 night.
But its just fluke that happens some times.

IIRC Sify never offered a 48 kBps connection... it was 48kbps. So well if you got good speeds earlier, its ur luck. If they cap the connection to what they are supposed to provide, there's nothing wrong abt their business practices and your rants are gonna get you nowhere!

BTW 8kBps is theoretical, but in case u didn't know the TCP/IP protocol has overheads in the packets which means that ultimately the speed u see will be slightly lower. And why shud they have to tell u abt this capping? They are not cheating you. You just assumed that it would always be the way you liked it.
Basically b4 they just used to give you their spare b/w, now I bet since they are losing customers, they probably returned most of it to Bharti and VSNl and are cutting your speed.

I think you should put a case on them in consumer court. with my brother they have done worse they first month give good speed and then when he get 6 month plan the speed goes down and now it not even connects.. Same problem in whole west punjabi bagh

i have 256Kbps connection.... night time connection.... no caps so far.... no down times too.... i get 30-31KBps in BitCommet.... I have no complains on sify.... my download + upload usually crosses 1GB.....

Dude..... why do you stick with Sify??

Ditch them and go for some other ISP like Airtel or something. Even BSNL is better with their new unlimited night schemes....

Nikhil said:
Dude..... why do you stick with Sify??

Ditch them and go for some other ISP like Airtel or something. Even BSNL is better with their new unlimited night schemes....
Havent enquired much abt the new schemes by BSNL or for tht matter any other ISP.

But currently thinking of BSNL coz now i guess it confirmed tht ill b shifting 2 Mumbai and its no use paying the installation charges for just till next April or May.

Back