Silent, Low cost upgradeable sandybridge build

Fifth_ID

Disciple
The motherboard on my 939 Athlon 4000+ Dual core seems to have kicked the bucket. Unless I find dual core ready, socket 939 (new or second hand) mother board to replace it, I'm looking for a similarly powered Sandybridge/LGA 1155 build

• Q: What is your budget?
    • Less than or around 30K
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD 4000+ Athlon64 dual core
    • Motherboard - MSI RS482
    • GPU - ATI 8800GT (died 2 years ago and had an Arctic Silent Cooling Accelero S2)
    • RAM - Generic 4 x 512 MB RAM DDR
    • Monitor - AOC 22 inch monitor 1680*1050
    • SMPS - 450 W Thermal Take
    • Cabinet: Generic Chinese Make
    • CPU Fan: A less noisy than stock fan (need to check which brand)
    • HDD - WD 160 GB PATA
    • DVD Burner: Sony DVD Burner
    • Webcam: Logitech 5000
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - AOC 22 inch monitor
    • SMPS - 450 W Thermal Take
    • Cabinet: Generic Chinese Make
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel G530 (will upgrade later)
    • Motherboard - any compatible LGA 1155 motherboard that's at the lowest cost and upgrade friendly. I'm looking at a ASUS P8H61 or better. I plan on not upgrading the motherboard and am very open to suggestions in this department.
    • GPU - Saphire ATI HD 6770 (optional purchase since onbaord is ok for next 6 months) I selected Sapphire because it has the least noisy stock fan
    • RAM - Generic 2 x 2GB
    • CPU Fan - Something more silent than a stock fan but not liquid coolin. I'm not aware of silent fans/heatsinks for LGA 1155/Sandybridge and am very open to suggestions in this department too.
    • HDD - WD 500 GB SATA
    • DVD Burner - Liteon SATA (New motherboards may not have a PATA socket or I'd keep the old one.) Looking or cheap yet reliable Burner that won't waste DVDs when burning
    • Webcam - Logitech C170 or C270 (Old cam won't work with Windows 7)
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following in/after 6 months by which time I'd have more funds available
    • CPU - Intel sandybridge i5 or i7
    • Graphics - May upgrade to as powerful an ATI card as my SMPS/PSU can handle
    • RAM - May get 2 x 4GB
    • Monitor - My 22 inch AOC is 4 years old and needs a replacement within a year's time
    • HDD - May get a bigger drive and re-install everything
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware?
    • Kochi
    • Open to online purchase (purchases would be done through the shop assembling the PC)
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No (purchases would be done through the person assembling the PC)
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Online trading
    • Browsing
    • Watching movies
    • Gamings
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Prefered Western Digital HDDs as the one's I've purchased fom Dubai haven't failed me ever in 8 years of purchases
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Plan to play League of Legends or DOTA 2
    • Action: I have BF 2 and TF 2
    • Adventure - I may get Skyrim
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Desktop - 1680x1050 LCD
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

The above hangs on whether or not (seems very unlikely since I can't find them on ebay but I am open to buying one second hand on TE) I can source a Dual core ready 939 motherboard in the next few days.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]CPU-Intel i3 2100-6.2[Upgrade to ivy bridge later for now get i3 2100 than i3 530]

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Ram-Corsair XMS3 2X2gb 1600mhz-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb 1600mhz-1.6k

HDD-Segate 500gb 7200rpm-4.4k

GPU- Sapphire HD6670-6.6k OR Sapphire HD6850-9.5k[If you're gonna play skyrim and latest games,then get HD6850]

PSU-Seasonic s12ii 430w-2.6k[I'd be better if you get 80+ psu than your old one]

CPU COOLER-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-2.1k[will keep your cpu cool and will reduce noise level]

ODD-Samsung or LG DVD R/W-1k

UPS-APC 650v ups-2.2k

Hope this helps
<
.[/font]

Would suggest to get a Pentium G620/840 rather than getting the Celeron G530.

Also, choice of H61 or H67 is upto you, would suggest to go with a H67 as that would be more feature rich + supported, IMO.

Finally, as for the RAM, get 1600MHz 2x4GB RAM of your choice.

Get your GPU when you purchase the new monitor. That way, you could get a good combo.

Dont buy a HDD now, wait for prices to fall, get it when upgrading your GPU + monitor.

It's better to go with i3 2100 than G620 cause it'll give better performance,4gb ram would be enough for op,It's upto op if he wants the gpu now then he should get what's suggested.
Would suggest to get a Pentium G620/840 rather than getting the Celeron G530.

Also, choice of H61 or H67 is upto you, would suggest to go with a H67 as that would be more feature rich + supported, IMO.

Finally, as for the RAM, get 1600MHz 2x4GB RAM of your choice.

Get your GPU when you purchase the new monitor. That way, you could get a good combo.

Dont buy a HDD now, wait for prices to fall, get it when upgrading your GPU + monitor.

Thank you for the tip off that the G530 is a Celeron. I'm looking for a full fledged, LGA 1155, dual core that is equivalent or better than an Athlon64 X2 4000+ (I didn't write that factor in the intial post.) A low cost i3 (probably the 2100) is probably what I'm looking for.

For the CPU fan, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Evo seems to be what I'm looking for since it seems less noisy than a sock fan although it seems overkill in the cooling department. I discovered on ebay, a coolermaster cpu cooler for the i3/i5 that seems fine for me (I think it fits the 1155 platform even though it seems to be 1156 based) although I apparently (according to a dissatisfied customer on newegg) won't be able to re-use it on a 95 watt i7.

After looking at my purchase logs, I discovered that my PSU/SMPS is not a Thermal take, it's actually a Cooler Master Real Power 550W. I think it is 80+ rated.

If my current system's motherboard did not fail, the plan was to add a ATI HD 6770 and then build a whole new system in 6 months' - 1 year's time. My road plans now are:

-Re use cabinet and SMPS/PSU, build a semi-new system (doesn't have to be sandy bridge based) that resembles the old one. Get a new build in 6-12 months.

-Re use cabinet and SMPS/PSU, build a semi-new system (sandy bridge or newer motherboard) that's slightly better than my current build. Improve semi-new build in 6-12months (same case and smps.)

I'm leaning towards a H61 motherboard, i3 processor, 2 x 2gb ram, since it's relatively low cost, seems to be of a similar performance to my current build and I can give that system to my dad when I build a new system for myself. I use a particular sofware that needs a dual core and 2GB of RAM on XP and 4 GB of RAM on Vista/Win 7. I'm open to the idea of an AMD build but the workshop that has my current pc/is to build the new system seems to be pro-Intel (I do prefer AMD/ATI onboard gaphics.)

If you want a H61 mobo then Intel DH61WW-3.5k OR GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2-B3-3.5k are two great options.
Thank you for the tip off that the G530 is a Celeron. I'm looking for a full fledged, LGA 1155, dual core that is equivalent or better than an Athlon64 X2 4000+ (I didn't write that factor in the intial post.) A low cost i3 (probably the 2100) is probably what I'm looking for.

For the CPU fan, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Evo seems to be what I'm looking for since it seems less noisy than a sock fan although it seems overkill in the cooling department. I discovered on ebay, a coolermaster cpu cooler for the i3/i5 that seems fine for me (I think it fits the 1155 platform even though it seems to be 1156 based) although I apparently (according to a dissatisfied customer on newegg) won't be able to re-use it on a 95 watt i7.

After looking at my purchase logs, I discovered that my PSU/SMPS is not a Thermal take, it's actually a Cooler Master Real Power 550W. I think it is 80+ rated.

If my current system's motherboard did not fail, the plan was to add a ATI HD 6770 and then build a whole new system in 6 months' - 1 year's time. My road plans now are:

-Re use cabinet and SMPS/PSU, build a semi-new system (doesn't have to be sandy bridge based) that resembles the old one. Get a new build in 6-12 months.

-Re use cabinet and SMPS/PSU, build a semi-new system (sandy bridge or newer motherboard) that's slightly better than my current build. Improve semi-new build in 6-12months (same case and smps.)

I'm leaning towards a H61 motherboard, i3 processor, 2 x 2gb ram, since it's relatively low cost, seems to be of a similar performance to my current build and I can give that system to my dad when I build a new system for myself. I use a particular sofware that needs a dual core and 2GB of RAM on XP and 4 GB of RAM on Vista/Win 7. I'm open to the idea of an AMD build but the workshop that has my current pc/is to build the new system seems to be pro-Intel (I do prefer AMD/ATI onboard gaphics.)

The PC is being built for me by the service center that tried to fix my old motherboard (they're usuing parts that are locally available since it's quicker than me waiting for the parts for online orders.)

The build is:

i3 2100

4 GB RAM (I'll have to get the computer in hand to check the RAM speed and the motherboard model)

500 GB Seagate HDD

Iball Piano cabinet (no more than 14.5 inches in height)

I've not been a fan of Intel's igp's picture quality for movies so I'll add a 6670 (light gaming use such as League of Legends at1680 x 1050) since the built in SMPS (the service center says my old SMPS works but could have a fault that lead to my old motherboard kicking the bucket) should be able to handle it until I get a new monitor, PSU and a 6850.

Back