Simple Software to limit internet access

I have a staff of ~30 people, currently all their workstations have open internet access, can someone suggest a software to limit internet access where i can block some websites on all their workstations ?

Thanks

For a staff of 30 people, third party software like Websense would be costly. Set up a proxy like someone said, and implement your own filters. It is pretty easy. Been a long time since I did this, but have a look at Squid

techmaster said:
I have a staff of ~30 people, currently all their workstations have open internet access, can someone suggest a software to limit internet access where i can block some websites on all their workstations ?

Thanks

Try IPCOP IPCop or Untangle Multi-functional Firewall Software - Open Source Content Filter & Spam Filter | Untangle.com Even though these are Linux based firewall / filtering applications, they are easy to use since once they are installed, you only have to interact with them through a browser. They are also free for personal or commercial use.

Untangle needs a bit more on the hardware resources side, while IPCOP runs quite well even on hardware that is not very modern.

Isn't something like using OpenDNS easier. OpenDNS has an option where you can block the websites and redirect to show a message/logo what you want.

I am sure all ur employees will be connecting via the gateway/router. So just set OPen DNS as the preferred DNS in your router and then create an account in OpenDNS to manage all these settings. This is the easiest and fastest way...takes arnd 10-15 min to get it done !

Why are u ppl suggesting squid/websense I have no idea. Too expensive/complete for a SOHO setup :p

Read more abt it here :

http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/

Web Content Filtering

Cloud-based, award-winning Web content filtering from OpenDNS with more than 50 categories of content. No appliance necessary. Effective against proxies, P2P, Web 2.0, adult and more.

Whitelist / Blacklist

Lets you decide where your users can navigate on your customized Internet. Whitelist-only functionality available.

# Block Pages Customization

Allows you to customize the landing page URL users on your network are taken to in the case of a blocked domain.

# Custom Logo / Custom Message

If using the OpenDNS Guide, customize the page with your logo and message. Same with blocked pages.

techmaster said:

Thanks
TM,

I have tried this many times. The best solution is get yourself a router like Asus WL520GU (or any router that supports Tomato firmware) and load it with Tomato Firmware. It has very good access control. You can selectively give full access to one (or more PCs). This is important because most of the firmwares that comes with routers give full access to only one PC on the network.

I would highly recommend this.

Back