Single argb header query

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm was about to buy Asus strix b550 mobo but the only concerning thing is it got only one argb header. So I didn't buy it.

I already have this Cooler Master ARGB Controller.
It has got 4 ARGB Ports but if I connect fans or led strip will they be controlled individually or a single effect/pattern will applied to all 4 ports. I dont really want to be stuck in this situation.

So need some clarification on this part.

I wont be using Cooler master software as it sucks but only Asus Aura or Corsair iCUE.

I'm specifically looking towards Asus only mobo as icue is now fully compatible with asus mobos and its a bliss peace working on icue. Single best rgb tool for all requirements.

Also, if someone who is having Gigabyte Aorus series mobo for any platform can they confirm if Icue is compatible with it or not. If surprisingly it work then I might consider Gigabyte mobo.

The single pattern will applied to all four channels, if you use the ARGB connector of the motherboard with this or if you use it independently without a RGB/ARGB capable motherboard. This particular controller is actually meant for retrofitting non-rgb/non-argb systems with rgb/argb fans and strips.

Corsair's controller lets you control channels seperately, the Lighting Node Pro gives you two independent channels: https://mdcomputers.in/corsair-lighting-node-pro-cl-9011109-ww.html The Commander Pro also gives you just two channels: https://mdcomputers.in/corsair-commander-pro-cl-9011110-ww.html?search=corsair commander

If you use corsair fans and strips, the software allows you control over how they're lit up, in what order and with what effec, but I haven't had a chance to try it out to see if you can independently set effects on a single channel for different devices.

What I do is orient each fan at a cascading 90 degree offset, so that the effect looks slightly different between any two fans:

photo_2021-12-15 20.35.01.jpeg

IMG_20210731_233740.jpg

I don't think the single ARGB header will be a blocking factor if you are using iCue.

Corsair ARGB fans already have different connectors compared to the standard 5V ARGB mobo header.

In my case the Cooler Master ARGB GPU stand is connected to the mobo header whereas 3 Corsair QL120 fans ar connected only to the mobo's PWM header.

Mobo is Asus Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi.

The ARGB is controlled for the Corsair fans via the included Lighting Node Core.

I also have a QL140 fan as top exhaust but this photo was taken before I added that. In fact this is first boot pic which is why you see rainbow puke.

And use SignalRGB.

I use SignalRGB to control Corsair.Razer mouse and Asus mobo lights in one go.

Its pretty great.

Only con is that the GPU ARGB cannot be controlled as of now.

In my experience with my Gigabyte GPU RGB Fusion is utter crap.

Last time when I used my Cooler Master ARGB Controller in USB mode I was able to assign different effects to all the connected devices on its 4 ports.
Just that I want to be sure if the same can be possible if its connected to mobos ARGB header and not usb.

Nope, If you use the ARGB header on the motherboard there is no way for the board to identify the devices individually. It's like a parallel connection. The same signal will be applied to all of them. When you use USB, Cooler master's software might be able to recognise the individual connectors on the controller and apply different signals.

I did see a post on reddit where someone with the same Coolermaster ARGB controller connected both USB as well as the motherboard ARGB header. Apparently you have an option in the Coolermaster software to set the colours individually for each device or use the input signal from the motherboard which is applied to all devices. I've not verified this personally though.

Nope, If you use the ARGB header on the motherboard there is no way for the board to identify the devices individually. It's like a parallel connection. The same signal will be applied to all of them. When you use USB, Cooler master's software might be able to recognise the individual connectors on the controller and apply different signals.

I did see a post on reddit where someone with the same Coolermaster ARGB controller connected both USB as well as the motherboard ARGB header. Apparently you have an option in the Coolermaster software to set the colours individually for each device or use the input signal from the motherboard which is applied to all devices. I've not verified this personally though.
Can you help me with the reddit post.
Also, not just coolermaster software but also on openrgb etc. tools attached devices got detected individually andI was able to apply individual effects.

Last time when I used my Cooler Master ARGB Controller in USB mode I was able to assign different effects to all the connected devices on its 4 ports.
Just that I want to be sure if the same can be possible if its connected to mobos ARGB header and not usb.

Cooler Master uses the standard 5V ARGB connector (At least for my GPU stand). The CM ARGB controller is not really necessary.

Through Asus Armory Crate/SignalRGB it shows up as a separate device and can be managed individually.

Similarly each of the Corsair fans can be tweaked individually in SignalRGB as well. Keep in mind the Lighting Node Core is connected via USB 2.0 header to mobo and its powered through SATA like the CM controller you were talking about.

I will switch on my gaming PC on Saturday and post screenshots here which ought to help you make your decision.

Cooler Master uses the standard 5V ARGB connector (At least for my GPU stand). The CM ARGB controller is not really necessary.
Didn't got what you mean by CM ARGB controller is not really necessary. As here for me the only option is to use my CM ARGB controller here to connect as well as configure 4 separate argb devices individually.
Keep in mind the Lighting Node Core is connected via USB 2.0 header to mobo and its powered through SATA like the CM controller you were talking about.
So only via usb and you havent connected it again additionally to argb header?
Have you tried both way simultaneously?

Again I would like to know what if we connect the controller both via usb as well as argb header. How are the devices going to show in Asus aura, single or individual.

Can you help me with the reddit post.
Also, not just coolermaster software but also on openrgb etc. tools attached devices got detected individually andI was able to apply individual effects.
Sure, here is the Link. Check the comments by "IO_Sam".

OpenRGB/ SignalRGB should work since its designed to work across different ecosystems and would be able to recognise the USB connection to the CoolerMaster controller. I'm not sure if Armoury crate can do the same.

Sure, here is the Link. Check the comments by "IO_Sam".

OpenRGB/ SignalRGB should work since its designed to work across different ecosystems and would be able to recognise the USB connection to the CoolerMaster controller. I'm not sure if Armoury crate can do the same.
Thanks!

1639647799732.png

But again would like someone here to comment hows the behavior in motherboard tool.

Last edited:
Didn't got what you mean by CM ARGB controller is not really necessary. As here for me the only option is to use my CM ARGB controller here to connect as well as configure 4 separate argb devices individually.

So only via usb and you havent connected it again additionally to argb header?
Have you tried both way simultaneously?

Again I would like to know what if we connect the controller both via usb as well as argb header. How are the devices going to show in Asus aura, single or individual.
Can you tell me what are the devices you want to control?

Theres an open standard for ARGB devices which Asus follows. AFAIK Corsair has the pins switched around to lock you to their ecosystem.

The CM Controller 3-pin should be connected to the mobo header.

If your other devices are standard ARGB pattern 3-pin layout then those can be connected to the CM Controller.

This is from the B550 manual so keep an eye out that you dont add too many LEDs.
1639653027503.png

Then the CM Controller has to be powered via SATA and connected to USB header on the mobo for software control.

If Armory Crate can see the controller it will show up in SignalRGB as well.

However if SignalRGB will show the 4 devices connected to the controller as a single channel or multiple channels(as preferred by you) is one thing I am not sure about since I haven't used this controller.

From your original post I thought you are using Corsair RGB devices but now I get that you will use iCue as a control layer on top of Asus Armory Crate.

If you start looking for mobos with multiple ARGB headers it will get way too expensive though. I looked all around for the B550-E which has 2 ARGB headers to no avail.

Better and cheaper option would be to go for the B550-F and Corsair ARGB 3-pack fans which come with a Lighting Node Core.

Can you tell me what are the devices you want to control?
Ftw Antec prizm argb fans x 4 + 2 argb strips.
If Armory Crate can see the controller it will show up in SignalRGB as well.

However if SignalRGB will show the 4 devices connected to the controller as a single channel or multiple channels(as preferred by you) is one thing I am not sure about since I haven't used this controller.
Signalrgb and other similar open source rgb tools detect the CM controller and treats all connected devices individual and not daisychain.
From your original post I thought you are using Corsair RGB devices but now I get that you will use iCue as a control layer on top of Asus Armory Crate.

If you start looking for mobos with multiple ARGB headers it will get way too expensive though. I looked all around for the B550-E which has 2 ARGB headers to no avail.
I'm looking forward to use only iCue as iCue is now fully compatible with Asus crate aka has comfortably replaced it.

As said just for extra header B550-E will cost 5k more which is useless. Gigabyte rocks in this terms as all Aorus mobos come with default 2+2 headers. Asus literally suks in this regards but then Gigabyte isnt yet compatible with iCue and RGB fusion has many limitations compared to Asus crate.

Back